ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Wireless Video Broadcast?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

before i get back to the exciting task of setting up the raspberry pi to trigger cameras, On a completely unrelated note i would like to broadcast some video about 60 yards, preferably for free and not using the inter web.

I have still got the camera and screen that came with the drone and I'm fairly sure it will handle the range i just need to get same adaptors to link them to the CCTV box and a monitor,

the back of the CCTV box looks like this
http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 18.19.55.png   277.78K   6 downloads

so basically is there a simple connection/ adaptor anyone knows of that i can rig between the back of the box (v-out is probably easier than VGA or HDMI) and the transmitter in the camera on the drone?

any thoughts

Ed

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

So the cameras give a plain ordinary composite video signal terminating with a BNC plug (though the poor schematit actually shows a phone plug trying to plug into a BNC socket)

That is almost certainly the same as the video sender that came witht he drone, so what connections does that have?

#3 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

wait there,,,,,

#4 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 19.08.14.png   205.61K   4 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 19.07.47.png   252.82K   5 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 19.10.03.png   135.8K   4 downloads

#5 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

pic 3 is the link to the drone on top and power on the bottom

ill go find a small screwdriver to take the camera apart

#6 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

i take it i just need to connect the yellow wire to the central core of the video out??????? can't be that easy

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 19.18.24.png   129.5K   5 downloads

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 04 April 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#7 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

I'm not really making much sense of the pictures, can you post a higher resolution, you will probably need to upload them to a picture hosting site as the forum software reduces their size.

The cctv box has a composite video output that looks to be on a BNC socket (TUO-V, V for video)

I'm not understanding the connections to the video sender. The tin box with what looks like an F socket I presume is the transmitter module and an aerial of some sort plugs into that F socket.

The third picure the red and black is probably power. So you might be right that the yellow is video.

#8 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

:) yes the pictures are flipped and rubbish (screenshot from FaceTime but it was the quickest way i could think of)

having taken the camera apart (last picture) it looks it might be simpler than i thought.

I'm hoping if i plug the power plug (bottom of pic 3) directly into the charger.

then buy a find a BNC fitting?

attach the yellow to the centre pin and hurray.

we will worry about the other end later :)

#9 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

As well as attaching the yellow to the centre pin, connect the outer to the power sopply negative.

Probably easier just to buy any made up cable you can find that has a BNC plug on one end, cut off the other end (it doesn't even matter what was on that other end) and then you will have a coax cable to connect to your video sender.

Being a hoarder of junk useful electronic assemblies I have a boxfull of assorted leads like that just waiting for the time I need one with that type of plug on.

Edited by ProDave, 04 April 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#10 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

I have got boat loads of coax cable. and I'm hoping dad has got a spare BNC plug, I'm sure iv seen one somewhere.

then same back on the otherside assuming the receiver is similar to the transmitter and just run it into the aerial port :D

happy days, thanks for your help ;)

#11 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

NO not into an aerial point. Almost certainly the output at the other end will be composite video as well expecting to go into a video monitor.

Most tv's have an AV imput usually a yellow phono socket, with corresponding red and white phono sockets for the stereo audio.

Edited by ProDave, 04 April 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#12 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

Ahh, Ok iv got some of the old 3 colour plugs i can butcher from xbox leads,

or i can just buy this and cut it in half, but that won't be here tomorrow :(
http://www.ebay.co.u...kVZcwgHAIfYocSA

#13 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

The camera in the quadcopter will definitely put out 1V p-p composite video on the yellow lead from the camera. The quadcopter camera is very unlikely to be 12V though, most are either 3.3V, some have a small voltage regulator and will run on 5V, which is the voltage that comes from the BEC in the quad.

So, to power the camera you're going to need the power system from the quad as well.

What I'm not clear on is if you're also looking to use the wireless video transmitter in the quad as well, to the receiver in the control box/screen. That will probably be a 5.8GHz link, as that's the most common frequency these things use. If you're using the wireless link, then the chances are that the receiver and the screen on the control box will run on around 9 to 12 V and the receiver that feeds into the screen will probably have a yellow 1V p-p composite video on a yellow lead, along with the power (red) and ground (black).

One problem you may find is that some of these Chinese cameras run on NTSC, rather than PAL, and the chances are that the CCTV recorder only accepts PAL. I'd guess you have a 50/50 chance that it'll be PAL, as there probably won't be any marking to say which system it is (NTSC is the US standard, PAL is the UK standard).

#14 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

the plan is to scrap the camera from the drone and just use its circuit board and transmitter to send the video to its original receiver. I'm planning to use the CCTV cameras that came with the magic black box and one day i may use it to record.
for now i just need to get the the output from the magic box to broadcast using the drone cameras transmitter.

#15 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

The transmitter will happily accept 1V p-p standard composite video on the yellow lead from either a PAL or NTSC camera, and the chances are that the transmitter also runs on 12V, unlike the quad's camera. This means you can easily connect an ordinary CCTV camera to one of these transmitters, it's exactly how my CCTV is set up at the new house. I managed to fit a quadcopter video transmitter inside the CCTV camera case, with just the aerial poking out the bottom. This transmits video over a high bandwidth 5.8 GHz link to a receiver, that then feeds into a single channel version of that DVR you linked to, with an attached 7" screen so I can record and monitor at the same time (or playback and record at the same time). I also have the spare video out from the receiver I'm using (an RC305, which has two video/audio output jacks) fed to a USB video capture box, that will eventually be able to feed video to my web server.

Edited by jsharris, 04 April 2016 - 09:14 PM.

#16 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

thats exactly what i want to do, except from the box to the monitor, instead of the camera to the box.
how did you connect the camera output to the transmitter and more importantly how did you power it?

did you use adaptors or a soldering iron?

#17 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

I soldered up the wires. My CCTV camera runs on 12V, and the video transmitter I used also runs on 12V, so I just removed the split cable from the camera, that fed power in via a power connector and fed video out via a lead with a BNC. I replaced this with a single power cable into the camera case, connected to a 12V power supply mounted in a waterproof enclosure on the pole where the camera is fitted.

I took the yellow video feed from the camera and soldered it to the yellow video in lead on the transmitter, and did the same for the black (ground) and red (+12V) wires. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the camera case, added a rubber grommet and fitted the 5.8GHz transmitter aerial through it, so it pokes out the bottom.

On the receiver side I just powered the receiver from the 12V power supply that runs the DVR and the small 7" monitor, with the receiver aerial just fitted on to the receiver connector and poking up. The CCTV camera transmits reasonable quality video indoors, and I can watch it on the screen, record it on the DVR or stream it to a PC using a cheap video to USB converter (the one I bought to record video from the borehole camera to my laptop last year)

#18 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

I need to take apart the receiver end of this yet ( it is already built into a little monitor that clips onto the drone controller)

but from the sounds of what you are saying is really is going to be fairly simple

ill get the wire strippers out tomorrow .....

thanks again for the help guys :)

#19 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

knowing how impatient you all are i decided to dismantle the receiver tonight and i may have found an issue :(

its all built into the circuit board :o

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 22.47.15.png   370.2K   5 downloads

top right is the aerial sticking up and on the other side is a little screen

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 04 April 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#20 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:10 AM

That's a similar, receiver module to the ones I have in the RC305. On the lower edge of the receiver module there should be three or four channel select connections (to programme the receiver frequency), a 5V power connection to power the receiver, an SSSI connection (ignore it, it just gives the received signal strength) an audio output, a composite video output and a ground connection.

The snag is that the modules vary a bit, there are two or three different makes with different pin outs, so you'll need to try and trace where the video out feed to the screen driver chip is.

Alternatively, you could just not use that link and buy a transmitter receiver, set them both to the same channel (they have DIP switches to set the channel) and you will have units that both work on 12V and will given you a solid, fairly long range, video connection. There are loads on ebay, like this pair of 8 channel units: http://www.ebay.co.u...U0AAOSwpDdVVDxK