ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Images On Dropbox Don't Display

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 readiescards

readiescards

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire, UK

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:43 AM

I tried to embed this Dropbox image:
https://www.dropbox....cation.png?dl=0

But all I get is:
Posted Image

Is there a trick to use Dropbox for hosting images that can be embedded on ebuild or is it unsupported and I must use external hosting?

thanks

#2 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:39 AM

http://www.dropbox....cation.png

Taking the s of the https don't do it, or taking the ?dl=0

Edited by SteamyTea, 03 April 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#3 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

Aren't the drop box links only links?
I also had to download the app before I could view other posts with them in. Tablet and phone btw.
Regards, Nick.

#4 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Just testing. Ignore for the moment

Attached File  manifold.png   244.1K   2 downloads

the only way I managed that was to save the image to my local hard drive and then upload it to the site. I couldn't find a way to link to it where it was.

Edited by ProDave, 03 April 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#5 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

My understanding is that Dropbox normally uses links, so that they get the traffic and can fund the service. Flickr try to do exactly the same thing, but you can manually edit the share link with Flickr to delete the advertising and data gathering bit and just link directly to the .jpg file on their server.

I've just played around with the Dropbox URL and there doesn't seem to be a way of getting around the way they embed photos as .png files to just link to the actual photo. They clearly want traffic to go to their website and are keen to prevent hotlinking direct to content. Fair enough, I suppose, as you are the product when you use a free service like Dropbox, and they want to make money from you.

#6 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

Try this - seems to work
http://cantonbecker....dropbox-images/

You need to add ?raw=1 to the image URL and use the full editor to add an image to your post.

This image is linked directly to my dropbox account with the url
https://dl.dropboxus.../Test.jpg?raw=1

Posted Image

Edited by Alphonsox, 03 April 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#7 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

Let's see if it works on Reddies image:

https://www.dropbox....ation.png?raw=1

#8 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image
That seems to work. Just by replacing the ?d=0 with ?raw=1

Why does it have to be so difficult though?

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

What did I do wrong then, as I thought that was what I had done :(

#10 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 03 April 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

What did I do wrong then, as I thought that was what I had done :(
You have to use the full editor "more reply options" Select the Image tool and past the address into the dialogue box it brings up, substituting the ?d=0 on the end of the original link with ?raw=1

You appear to have just pasted the address into the text editor part of the reply box and that will only appear as a hyperling to the picture.

Edited by ProDave, 03 April 2016 - 02:11 PM.

#11 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

Worked on second attempt.Posted Image

#12 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if these photo/file/video sharing services allowed direct hotlinking to your images rather than making you muck around manually editing the URL?

I've used Flickr for years, and it always used to give you a direct URL to the image location, so a URL with .jpg at the end. This worked with any forum, running any code. Just put the appropriate tags around the image URL and the photo popped up. A couple of years ago Flickr "updated" its user interface and now will not give you a clean image URL to paste between tags in a forum, it gives a complex link that has to be manually stripped back to get at the image URL, which is a pain. Now it seem that you have to make obscure edits to Dropbox links to get them to work.

I shall be glad when I get my new home server up and running properly, so I can transfer all the stuff I have copied on to Flickr, solely to allow images to be used in forum posts. That way I should be able to have a secure web-accessible image store under my own control, so I can just paste links to images held on my server under my mayfly.eu domain name I "own".

I need to sit down and get to grips with doing this soon, as I also want to transfer away from my paid-for Outlook Server mail service that's currently pointing at "my" domain name and run a simpler and more secure mail server on my own machine. I can do the hardware bit (in fact I've already done it) and manage the key stuff, like regularly backed up RAID array storage, with the main storage using two SSDs, and that's been running fine for a few months now, running from a 12V battery pack with mainly PV charging.

My weak spot is getting to grips with setting up the secure web server bit (in Linux) and then getting my domain name redirected to my static IP. I also need to check to see whether my ISP has a problem with this, as I seem to recall some IPs being a bit funny about people running their own web servers. All this web stuff is a bit beyond my limited IT skills!