ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Got A Funny Smell!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

The fun task this weekend is to investigate "where" and "what" it is! :lol:

It was, the other night most prevalent in our dormer bedroom upstairs. Today I can smell it downstairs. I thought it a "dirty laundry" / "changing room" type smell - maybe not quite so bad. There's certainly a "stagnant" note to it. The wife however likened it to when I take the dishwasher waste apart.

Deffo not rat/mouse! :lol:

The wife recently cleaned the upstairs plastic sink waste with caustic. As far as I can see from a cursory glance in the loft / under the floor that's intact.

Other possibles are:

- the flat roofs on the dormer
- the "pipework". The downstairs single pipe system has of late been making "glugging" sounds and sounding a bit "empty".

My money's on the central heating tbh.

Oh well, at least I can get everywhere I need to to look and haven't put on 4 stone since I last squeezed into where I have to.....NOT! :lol:

#2 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

It's you because it's taken you 18 months so far to half complete your bathroom.

Hth.

#3 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

View Postdaiking, on 01 April 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

It's you because it's taken you 18 months so far to half complete your bathroom.

Hth.

I know, I've got a "to do" list nearly as long as yours! ;)

#4 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

Could you have mould/rot (ie damp) somewhere out of site, eg in a floor void or wall?

Rgds

Damon

#5 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

I went into a house to do my job this morning. I noticed most of the lights were on, and there was a distinct "fishy" smell that you sometimes get from old light fittings when the plastic goes funny.

So I remarked "I think you might have a fishy light fitting"

"Sory, we just had fish for breakfast".........

Edited by ProDave, 01 April 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#6 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostOnoff, on 01 April 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

I know, I've got a "to do" list nearly as long as yours! ;)
2 bathrooms now, no smells B)

#7 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

The upstairs heating has been on for just under an hour. The smell seems to have increased in "intensity". It's got a wet/warm consistency about it for definite.

#8 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

View Postdaiking, on 01 April 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

2 bathrooms now, no smells B)

And all your own work! :lol:

#9 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:11 PM

Lost any socks?

Are you SURE it's not a dead mouse? Or snake?

We found the last dead mouse in a boot under the stairs that had got a bit wiffy. He had filled the other boot with a stash or rat poisen.

Edited by ProDave, 01 April 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#10 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

View PostProDave, on 01 April 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

Lost any socks?

Are you SURE it's not a dead mouse? Or snake?

We found the last dead mouse in a boot under the stairs that had got a bit wiffy. He had filled the other boot with a stash or rat poisen.

The only snakes in the loft are the corn snake skins to try and keep the rats/bats/ mice out! Pretty sure I know the smell of decaying tunnel bunny that's OD'd on Neosorexa Gold by now! :lol:

I lost my favourite Gerber torch up there years back and was too scared to put my hand in to retrieve it!

#11 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:52 AM

Well, couldn't stand the smell last night. Missus went in with my little 'un. I grabbed a quilt and dossed down on the lounge floor. Worst night EVER! Woke up with a headache, stiff neck and feeling a bit snotty.

Really not in the mood to go damp hunting, climbing on the roof / in the eaves. Waiting for the Neurofen to kick in then onwards and upwards!
Going to dive out beforehand and get some soffit vents as there are none in the dormer overhangs.

#12 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostOnoff, on 01 April 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

And all your own work! :lol:
There's no free free lunches, it's all my own work (for the next 20 years) that's having to pay for it.

#13 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

Don't the old rubber insulated cables smell of fish when they overheat.

Pulp: Mile End

We didn't have nowhere to live
We didn't have nowhere to go
'Til someone said
"I know this place off Burditt Road"
It was on the fifteenth floor
It had a board across the door
It took an hour to prise it off
And get inside
It smelt as if someone had died
The living room was full of flies
The kitchen sink was blocked
The bathroom sink not there at all
Ooh, it's a mess alright
Yes it's, Mile End
And now we're living in the sky
I never thought I'd live so high
Just like Heaven
If it didn't look like Hell
The lift is always full of piss
The fifth floor landing smells of fish
Not just on Friday
Every single other day
Below the kids come out tonight
They kick a ball and have a fight
And maybe shoot somebody
If they lose at pool
Ooh, it's a mess alright
Yes it's, Mile End
Nobody wants to be your friend
'Cause you're not from 'round here, ooh
As if that was
Something to be proud about
The Pearly King of the Isle of Dogs
Feels up children in the bogs
Down by the playing fields
Someone sets a car on fire
I guess you have to go right down
Before you understand just how
How low
How low a human being can go
Ooh, it's a mess alright
Yes it's, Mile End

#14 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

I think it's Bakelite that does that. I had a dodgy mains plug overhead and we were certainly fishy as well as dodgy...

Rgds

Damon

#15 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Soffit vents.....says here 200mm ctrs what I thought was close OR 86mm staggered.....

http://www.roofingve...ation-sheet.pdf

I was thinking more 500mm.....

Edited by Onoff, 02 April 2016 - 10:42 AM.

#16 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

Hmmm.......

So, dormer bungalow. Ended up today whacking a line of 70mm round soffit vents under the main roof (i.e just below ground floor ceiling level) soffit at 500mm ctrs. Just thinking to better ventilate the front of the dormer. The 6mm (and less) ply is laminating badly so had to take down about 3m of it and replace with whatever I had to hand. Dead mouse / rat fell out. Very old, flat and desiccated so 100% not that. Besides, dead rat smells like nothing else!

Went atop the dormer roof and the felt is shot with fascia boards rotting too. The soffit is only about 75mm all round the dormer btw, again 6mm ply and there are no vents.

Just got up into the eaves above the dormer and shoved the camera in at arms length. What you can see is the dormer ceiling joists running right to left. Firings run perpendicular to this with 3/4 ply atop. It's only got 4" of the old fluffy roll stuff as insulation too. Poor shot as it was just point & shoot without looking but the underside does maybe look damp? Hard to tell inside the room as heavy old Artex pattern on the ceiling.

Attached File  SAM_1748.JPG   32.65K   4 downloads

Attached File  SAM_1752.JPG   24.53K   6 downloads

#17 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

The house we are renting has an unidentifiable odour which I think is a combination of lack of ventilation and damp. The is an ongoing roof leak problem, whereby the water tracks down a wall and ends up under laminate flooring (laid on concrete slab). Running a dehumidifier has certainly helped but not eliminated the problem. Next thing to try is a small ozone generator, to try and freshen things up (and allow some experimentation in relation to the cooker hood / cooking smells issue).

#18 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostOnoff, on 02 April 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hmmm.......

So, dormer bungalow. Ended up today whacking a line of 70mm round soffit vents under the main roof (i.e just below ground floor ceiling level) soffit at 500mm ctrs. Just thinking to better ventilate the front of the dormer. The 6mm (and less) ply is laminating badly so had to take down about 3m of it and replace with whatever I had to hand. Dead mouse / rat fell out. Very old, flat and desiccated so 100% not that. Besides, dead rat smells like nothing else!

Went atop the dormer roof and the felt is shot with fascia boards rotting too. The soffit is only about 75mm all round the dormer btw, again 6mm ply and there are no vents.

Just got up into the eaves above the dormer and shoved the camera in at arms length. What you can see is the dormer ceiling joists running right to left. Firings run perpendicular to this with 3/4 ply atop. It's only got 4" of the old fluffy roll stuff as insulation too. Poor shot as it was just point & shoot without looking but the underside does maybe look damp? Hard to tell inside the room as heavy old Artex pattern on the ceiling.

Attachment SAM_1748.JPG

Attachment SAM_1752.JPG
Second pic deffo looks like your getting water in there.
:(.
That's the bathroom set back to 2025 then :o
:D

#19 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

Felt roofs are the work of the devil. Replace it with GRP or one of the rubber type sheets. I would never used felt again for any roof, not even a humble garden shed.

#20 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 03 April 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

Second pic deffo looks like your getting water in there.
:(.
That's the bathroom set back to 2025 then :o
:D

One of the issues is that one end of this problem dormer is over the new bathroom ceiling so if I get any major leak it could mess all my hard work. Can't seem to convince the missus that it's important to fix.

View PostProDave, on 03 April 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Felt roofs are the work of the devil. Replace it with GRP or one of the rubber type sheets. I would never used felt again for any roof, not even a humble garden shed.

Agree completely. I've spent a fortune (well a few hundred quid) on roof repair stuff like Chromapol & Flexacryl. Does work for a while but eventually gives up. It would be relatively easy to rip it up and replace "as is" but it's one of those the more you remove the more issues you can see. Even with those firings there's beggar all fall to shed the water. Thinking to put a shallow pitch and EPDM it. At the same time I could increase the soffit overhangs. It's why I keep repairing it rather than ripping it all off and doing the same as it already is. Might have to be this Summer's job!