ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Loft Floor Strengthening

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Billyblade

Billyblade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hi, newbie here :)
I've just bought a 1930's semi. The loft space (accessed by a fold down ladder onto the landing) is not boarded out but I wanted to use it for storage. At the moment there are just the ceiling joists up there which are clearly not capable of supporting much weight.
If I had the floor strengthened would it need any building regs/ inspection? Would they suspect I wanted to use the room for other purposes? Bearing in mind I have just had a re-roof and Velux installed. I was also thinking of insulating under the roof tiles and boarding out with cupboards into the eaves for neat secure temperate storage.
Thanks in advance.

#2 tony51

tony51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

Strictly, strengthening the floor would need a Building Regulations application because it's a structural alteration. However, it's none of a BCO's business what you might do with the room subsequently. But why bother the council? Just do it.

#3 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

If you get caught with a floor, a velux and insulation you could get fined

Edited by joiner, 01 April 2016 - 08:41 PM.
"velux" for "velum"

#4 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:44 PM

tony51, on 01 April 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

Strictly, strengthening the floor would need a Building Regulations application because it's a structural alteration. However, it's none of a BCO's business what you might do with the room subsequently. But why bother the council? Just do it.
If your adding to what's there then does that constitute adding to the loading? I suppose it depends on whether you've gone to the wall plate / matched the bearing points exactly with your new sister joists.
:unsure:

#5 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

Will you need regular access to the stuff stored up there? Is there enough headroom to make a proper bedroom? If so then I would convert it properly. Otherwise every time you open the loft hatch you allow warm humid air into the cold loft where it might condense on all your precious stored items.

#6 Billyblade

Billyblade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:55 AM

I'll need fairly regular access to the stuff.
I didn't want to go to the expense of a full conversion because we have a lot of other projects in the house.
I'm just very reluctant to put anything else up there until the floor is strengthened