ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

"Super Star" Architect Zaha Hadid Passed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jayroc2k

jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

In a profession dominated by men, she joined the ranks of Superstar architects like Norman Foster (Gherkin building) and Renzo Piano (The Shard).

Just thought was worth a mention.

Her niche were curves, something that caused pain to budgets but pushed engineers to come up with innovative solutions.

Some of her works below (she did the London Aquatic Centre -Olympics 2012)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-34340233

Edited by joiner, 01 April 2016 - 05:40 PM.
Text size reformatted

#2 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

> She joined the ranks of Superstar architect

I have to admit that personally I just don't rate Hadid very highly at all.

I'm having a day in London in a week to so, so I might go and see a couple of her designs which I have not yet seen - the Sackler Pavilion, the reduced London Aquatic Centre and the school in Brixton. I'd also be interested to see the arts Centre in Baku and concert hall in China, which may be successful, and perhaps her museum in Rome.

I'd also like to see the Maggie's Centre in Fife, and how she dealt with the context of a hospital car park and double-yellow lines.

The kindest thing I could say would be that Hadid was like Frank Lloyd-Wright in that her buildings sometimes took materials to their limits (*), but without Wright's understanding of the human scale. But I'm not convinced that Hadid was innovative in any significant way, and I think she was more an artist concerned with self-expression than an architect concerned with how her buildings could be used - which is always the most important consideration in any project.

I am not sure that Hadid will have any significant legacy at all, and I am a little contemptuous of her habit of blaming other people rather viciously for anything that went wrong.

The only time I unequivocally wanted to support her was when she was mugged on air by the Radio Four Today Programme using falsely applied data to make untrue claims about how many construction workers had been killed during the construction of a stadium in, I think, Qatar.
http://www.theguardi...interview-audio

What is her special contribution?

Ferdinand,
Open to correction if I missed anything.

(*) and therefore tend to fall to pieces prematurely

Edited by ferdinand, 01 April 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#3 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

I wonder whether any other architect will leave such a large legacy of unbuilt (and in some cases unbuildable) designs after they've gone. Most architects accept that buildings need to be built for an economic sum of money, but so often that didn't seem to come into it with Hadid. Coming from a lay perspective, I love the boldness of a lot of what she designed, but then a lot of what she did could have been done by HR Giger if he used white instead of black!

I don't doubt that there are plenty of others who could have done as much if you told them to ignore budget or "buildability".

Jack

#4 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:15 AM

I once read: "Creativity is a self-indulgence everyone should aspire to".

Can't remember who and where but I've never forgotten it. Google hasn't help track it down, but then it was back in the 1960s. :rolleyes:

#5 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:30 PM

View Postjoiner, on 03 April 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

I once read: "Creativity is a self-indulgence everyone should aspire to".

Can't remember who and where but I've never forgotten it. Google hasn't help track it down, but then it was back in the 1960s. :rolleyes:
Probably John or Sam Smith, or maybe the illiterate cousin Wadsworth 6X

#6 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

Sorry mate, don't know any of the three. Would they be mutual friends of ours I no longer have anything to do with? :mellow: