ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Don't Forget To Eat!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

I think the lesson is that you have to look after yourself mentally and physically (and they aren't that separate), and the "treat yourself like an employee" idea is good, providing that you aim to be a good employer!

None of us is perfect, and frankly, having gotten to rummage in the brains of some fairly complex and critical computing systems (Credit Desk and exotics pricing at Lehman Brothers, ahem...) though simple compared to human beings, I'm amazed that our brains work nearly so well and reliably as they do.

I was just having a moment of self-doubt this evening having had a probably-unnecessary argument earlier, and was wondering if I'm a flawed sh*t all of the time, or if everyone of good intention is really much the same. My feeling is that we're much the same but do really need to look after our bodies and our brains and remember that we're fragile. Being kind to yourself (while not over-indulgent) is likely to be the best way of not coming off the rails CC, and I should remember that too!

Thank you and JSH for your candour: these things tend not to be talked about enough IMHO.

Rgds

Damon

#22 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:03 AM

It would be so easy to make a flippant comment or two, but you lot will probably come and hunt me down and eat me. :o

#23 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

I have had long term tummy problems ( 6 major ops over 10 years ) and all stress related. Friends and family were worried about my up coming self build but I do have a regime of down time and proper food at the right time. Also making sure that problems are put in context. I am very laid back over schedules because working to tight timescales only results in stress. It's easy to say don't get stressed but loosing my wife to cancer, having cancer myself and having two teenagers throughout that time has made me realise that some problems are really minor in the scheme of things.

#24 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:32 AM

Well said John.
Sometimes hard to keep things in perspective, that is what free time is for.

If a supplier lets you down, don't use them, there are more suppliers than houses you are building.
Work hard and long on the easy, repetitive tasks, think hard and long on the difficult one offs.

That is just another way of saying, 'measure twice, cut once'

Edited by SteamyTea, 29 March 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#25 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

The old adage that a cobbler's family are the worst shod has its basis in the reality of a self-employed's life and their tendency to prioritise (and I don't mean obsess by that) the making of money rather than the spending of it. Time, therefore, becomes the essence of life and therein lies the error.

In short, schedule "we" (include the partner of whatever sex in that royal we) as you would any other job and stick as rigidly to it as you would for any other "job". Get your head around that and it's funny how much perspective that gives life.

There is one downside to all this, and that's finding yourself being told that you're too laid back.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. B) Chill 'bro.

#26 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

I really can't deal with my kids when I'm hangry. It's their inability to follow a simple series of steps in their normal routine without physically leading them from task to task. Must be like dealing with subbies.

Don't forget to pee either as a water infection is easily avoidable but seriously cramps your style for a time.

#27 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

Ed, that's what I think partnership is about.

Debbie watches my back, and I watch hers. She doesn't always like what I say: 'Don't you think you've been on that job long enough now?', or 'Need a bacon butty?' And leaving a small bottle of cold sparkling water on her bedside table helps cope with post #26 above.

Dai is right; too right for comfort.

#28 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

I have Type I diabetes so I have to watch this.

When doing heavy-ish manual work my energy requirement is met by roughly a banana every 2 hours. Good, healthy, slow release carbohydrate.

I'd also recommend a full - grilled - English breakfast. With black pudding. My health adviser (well-qualified owner of a local gym) reminded me that eggs and bacon are protein and energy.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 29 March 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#29 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

Yes, under no accounts eat packaged breakfast cereal, terrible stuff regardless of whether you have insulin response issues!

#30 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

I like white pudding more esp the spicy ones. Good bowl of porridge in the morning with blueberries and honey keeps the hunger pains away for a few hours.

#31 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

View Postgravelld, on 29 March 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Yes, under no accounts eat packaged breakfast cereal, terrible stuff regardless of whether you have insulin response issues!

I was addicted to cereals all my life and thought if I can ditch them I'll feel much better in myself. Since we got a kitchen back at Xmas (9 months without) we've ditched the cereals and my wife has been baking organic wholemeal bread a couple of times a week.

I expected to see a massive difference but zilch, nadda, depota and I'm not actually eating any more bread than before.

Edited by joiner, 29 March 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#32 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

Just last week my comic had a bit about breakfast.
Might surprise you:

https://www.newscien...eal-of-the-day/

It is still on the shelves.

Edited by SteamyTea, 29 March 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#33 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

The person spreading the toast looks to be about three feet tall, with stumpy arms and legs. Would that be a native of Cornwall?

#34 DavidWright

DavidWright

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationSkye

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 29 March 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

Just last week my comic had a bit about breakfast.
...It is still on the shelves.
I'll look out for that a couple of months[1]. In this household I'm a big bowl of porridge bolstered with chopped up fruit, & SWMBO is a couple of rice cakes with honey & tahini. Takes all sorts. For most other meals we have pretty much the same (except I generally have larger portions..).

[1] Our neighbour has an academic subscription & when I discovered she was just binning them periodically I asked if she'd mind passing them our way instead. :D

#35 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

on the way to work tomorrow I'm gonna buy me some big old slabs of granola! and maybe some apples, (i prefer oranges but Faye would run a mile)

but i know ill be fine in the week, its next weekend when Faye isn't about again that i am going to have to continuously think about it..........maybe ill put a kettle in the workshop.........and a fridge.........

or i could get on with....... no I'm getting the fridge out of the container as the first job :)

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 29 March 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#36 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

Put your mobile number on here and we will all text you at hourly intervals reminding you to eat .....

#37 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

you've got my email :P

#38 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

So today, as an experiment, I eschewed my usual "apple first thing at circa 5am then nothing to eat until 3.30pm":

05.00 hrs - Cup of tea
+ 2 slices wholemeal toast buttered
+ 1 slice wholemeal toast with Whole Earth peanut butter

06.30hrs - Cup of tea
+ Granny Smiths apple (that I found)

Mid morning - Cup of coffee in the cafe
+ Ham & cheese toastie
+ Cheese, tomato & onion toastie

14.00hrs - Cup of tea

15.30hrs - Slice of "low GI" wholemeal bread, buttered
+ Plain croissant

19.00hrs - Penguin
+ 2 glasses of red

Tbh, I'm knackered. No energy whatsoever. Nothing to do either with the 3 hours sleep I had last night!

Wonder what's for dinner?

:lol:

#39 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 29 March 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

on the way to work tomorrow I'm gonna buy me some big old slabs of granola! and maybe some apples, (i prefer oranges but Faye would run a mile)

but i know ill be fine in the week, its next weekend when Faye isn't about again that i am going to have to continuously think about it..........maybe ill put a kettle in the workshop.........and a fridge.........

or i could get on with....... no I'm getting the fridge out of the container as the first job :)

The local Co-op do x4 granola bars, warm, in their fresh baked section for just over a £1.....they rarely make it home.....

#40 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

I always find 3 mugs of tea and half a pack of Marlboro is a good breakfast.
Then toast before I go out for a coffee or two for elevensies, then a late lunch of some sort of rice or pasta dish (I eat till I can't get anymore down).
Then I cook supper for about 100 people, get home and have more tea.
Some nights I eat a large donkey kebab, but that tends to be a summer thing.
And just occasionally I eat a raw chilli, as long as it is one of the very hot ones, that cures most things. Roll on this summer when I will be eating a Carolina Reaper.