ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Don't Forget To Eat!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

Im not normally an angry person as such but the last few weekends and especially yesterday and today there have been enough times to notice that i was not acting normally. I have been on the verge of literally losing the plot far too many times over things that are really quite trivial and would normally not phase me in the slightest "theres nothing i can change so why worry"

but yesterday has been playing on my mind a little (you only saw a very small chunk of how angry i was at screw fix) and then it happened again this evening.
things haven't gone to plan because of the weather and i am going to have to put off lifting the ridge until tomorrow possibly tuesday as there is still more work to do. normally this would be fine. but about 6 o/c today i caught myself on the backswing of bending my £100+ spirit level around the multi stud that will hold up said ridge!........why? WTF is that sort of thing going to gain me apart from fuel the fire of my rage.

Its finally clicked. Breakfast is not enough. Lunch is not a waste of time! For the sake of the people around you don't forget to eat

Ed

#2 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

Go get yourself checked out for diabetes.

#3 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:02 PM

i did a few years back, nothing to report and I'm not showing any other symptoms so lets hope not.
ill ask him to check next time I'm in but that is the last thing i need..........im not the best with needles

#4 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

Don't forget to drink either. On a long car journey I will never drink enough so we don't have to keep stopping for the loo. Usually ends up giving me a headache.

#5 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

Well spotted Ed.
Look after yourself pal

#6 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

I only discovered this the other day but there is a word for this, in OED, 'hangry': Bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger.

All best
M

#7 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

Have to feed my kids every 3 hours or they do that ..!! And they are 15 & 17..!

Eldest is lambing at the moment so is permanently eating on a 12 hour shift as and when he can.

We used to buddy up when working long days - make a brew and drink half, buddy gets the other half. Same with snacks and other bits so you're looking out for each other.

#8 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

As the ad says your not you when your hungry. Get a snickers into you or maybe a good big bacon butty and a bucket of tea.

#9 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

thanks guys. I needed to write it down so hopefully it sticks. I'm fine when other people are there, obviously they need to eat and work can wait so i join them but if I'm alone i am terrible for "when iv finished this".
things have got to change

also i found the word "irascible" the other day. Very apt description of how i have been

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 28 March 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#10 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

Take some tracker bars or flapjacks around with you. Better than cheap confectionary chocolate which will only give you a very short term boost at best.

#11 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

If you want to perform e same all day, gonna have to graze. Make sure you're eating the right stuff too. Gravelled touches on it; simple carbohydrates aren't very helpful as an energy source because building isn't the kind of exercise that uses them effectively. Better off with slow release proteins, complex carbohydrates and some fats - pasta, meats, dairy, nuts and seeds

You may also find it beneficial to eat a little and often if bending a lot at your task, and avoid commercial pastry - indigestion recipe!

Edited by cjard, 28 March 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#12 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

Ed, you're bang on, as is ProDave. Craig and I have found out that not eating enough but in particualr, drinking leads to mad barney's. It sounds obvious right? , but when you're working away, it's so easy not to drink and not notice the signs. We've been working for nearly a year now and are learning much better to recognise the signs. We also learn wee tips to help defuse the situation - we joke that we are going delirious, but we probably are!

Also find that junky food like biscuits ain't enough for snacking - mango, pineapple, water, apples are way better than biscuits and so on.

I'm glad you posted - we've discussed similar stuff with Jeremy, but this is sligtly different. It's horrible - overworked and underfed, something (usually stupid and of no consequence) sets me off and I go into such a bad mood and poor Craig suffers.

As I say, we now know the signs, know each other much better (we've only been together 7 years!) and both handle it much better.

pS - one of our defusers is to ask the other their name - it usually gets us to laugh'cos we both know the right answer is 'Patience - Patience Galore'.

#13 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Been feeling very lethargic of late along with a few digestive problems. Diet related I'm sure as generally if it flies and isn't a plane or has legs and isn't a table I'll eat it like there's no off switch!

For the last week before Easter I had an apple and cup of tea every day at about 5am. Another cup of tea at about 6.30am. (No sugar btw). Couple of glasses of water and a coffee along the way. Found I had bags of energy. At approx 15.30 a slice of buttered multi grain loaf and bit of Red Leicester. Then in the evening a normal dinner and bottle of ale.

The BIG plus is cutting out the junk during the week means no headache at the weekend which is generally a given for me! Roll on tomorrow morning's Braeburn! :lol:

#14 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

As I've openly reported here, largely as a warning to others, this self-build lark can wreak havoc with both your physical and mental health. I've found that eating the right food, regularly, is very definitely helpful, as was reducing the vast amounts of tea I used to drink when working. I now drink loads of water and fruit juice, and restrict myself to no more than 4, maybe 5, mugs of tea a day (I reckoned I may well have been drinking somewhere around ten to twelve mugs of tea a day before).

The mental health things aren't just the obvious ones, like the stress of managing so much, frustration that suppliers get things wrong so often, or that the utility companies are enough to drive you do-lally. It's not even the worries over money, mortgages and how the hell you're going to get the house finished, either. For me, at least, a large part of the problem is working alone everyday. The penny only dropped recently, when I realised that whenever I'm working with someone else on site I'm a lot better, mentally.

#15 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

Reminds me of this!
Posted Image

Agree with the comments above about choice of food though. I try to stick to apples and oatcakes as my 'grazing' foods. Used to just gorge myself on chocolate digestives but it leaves you feeling pretty crappy.

Also agree with Jeremy about the mental aspect of things- I find that just picking up the phone to discuss something with someone relaly helps get my ideas worked out- my Dad is pretty useful for this, being a civil engineer. I also drag SWMBO down to the site as often as I can just to get some words of encouragement (or otherwise!)

#16 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 28 March 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

also i found the word "irascible" the other day.

My husband better not find that word....or I'll be hearing it a lot!

#17 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

i doubt it would be hard for me to find him :P :D
but i thought it was a spelling mistake when i was called it in a text. google told me otherwise :lol:

#18 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

Just treat yourself like an employee and set statutory breaks for proper sandwiches, fruit, and a cup of coffee or tea.

I eventually learnt that lesson on having my cardiomyopathy diagnosed, before that I rarely stopped during the working day and existed on multi-packs of Mars bars and cans of Coke. Except that I never, ever lost my rag with anyone except planners.

#19 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

View Postjsharris, on 28 March 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

As I've openly reported here, largely as a warning to others, this self-build lark can wreak havoc with both your physical and mental health.

pretty much the only reason i didn't just take note and try to change. that thread was a bit of an eye opener really.
I'm fairly sure I'm doing ok with the stress ATM, for the moment at least this part of the build is just my day job so its a case of finding the time to get on with it . but for some reason i was finding myself getting incredibly angry for very little reason and then seething about the situation for a long time. i noticed it first editing the videos.
a good couple of "vloggy" bits were becoming un useable, either because i was repeating myself over petty things, or more noticeable to me i was slurring a bit,
ALL the times i was getting in those situations was when i had either missed breakfast (screw fix) or lunch (usually around the 5-6 o/c mark)

now i just need to change....... but i think this is a good start ;)

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 28 March 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#20 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:49 PM

View Postjoiner, on 28 March 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Just treat yourself like an employee and set statutory breaks for proper sandwiches, fruit, and a cup of coffee or tea.

I eventually learnt that lesson on having my cardiomyopathy diagnosed, before that I rarely stopped during the working day and existed on multi-packs of Mars bars and cans of Coke. Except that I never, ever lost my rag with anyone except planners.

strangely but i suppose obviously this Never happens at work.
you look back and yes i do stop for my meals at work, i generally work with other people and for the most part i am a tolerable person to be around.
working alone on the weekend sustaining only on coffee with 2 sugars and nicotine seems to be the issue..............iv got this........hopefully ;)