ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jelvers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

I just registered as I have learned so much reading the forum from so many people.

I have a circa 1950s property with a gambrel roof, brick ground floor which we need to do a lot to work to.
I am learning whilst we seek a design for growing the size of the property. But we need to re-roof, swap all Windows and fix cold/draught/over heating issues. We are fully south facing at the rear.

The house is 1900sq ft and we seek to grow to circa 2800. We are debating rebuild v extend. I am seeking to live here long term and wish to build for a future state as low energy cost as possible.

I am also learning how to achieve passive with masonry v timber build. I must admit to being initially biased to masonry but it comes across as more difficult v timber construction for achieving passive which is changing my opinion.

I appreciate all the support.

Thanks !!

#2 PeterStarck

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationEast Kent

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hi Jelvers, welcome to the forum. There are VAT differences between new build and renovation. If new build I would say timber frame is easier to achieve air tightness and PH, but others would disagree. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. If you haven't already seen there are several blogs on here that may help you decide.

#3 jonathon916

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

Hi if you are considering new windows and have stock sizes take a look at Andersen. We installed them in a cottage extension n 2002 and they have been wonderful.