ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Hi From The Cabinz Project, Chester, Makers Of Insulated Panels For Outbuildings

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cabinz

Cabinz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

Looking forward to indulging in the wealth of knowledge on Ebuild.co.uk & further exploring the self-build community.

Cabinz is a small community group that experiments with materials & designs for outbuildings, using sandwich panels & re-used insulated off-cuts from industry.

Details at blog http://www.cabinz.net

#2 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

Hi, and welcome.

Sorry we hid your post for a while, but we get a lot of spammers and tend to just hide all first posts that link to another web site until we've checked things out carefully.

#3 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

Interesting. I was wondering about, as a "pet project" renovating our summer house to Ph standards!

#4 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hi and welcome Paul.
There's lots of hut and outbuilding types here, and as many of us will be hiding from our partners in them a bit of insulation is a welcome sight :D
Regards Nick.

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

The thing that worries me is...

"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalise ads and to analyse traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies."

;)

#6 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

A couple of days ago I was looking on eBay for a padlock, now every time I go on websites with adverts enabled I get ads for padlocks, big brother is watching!

#7 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

Use adblock and add Google to the black list, or just refuse to accept cookies from Google. Google are a complete pain in the backside for tracking you around the web and sending you ads, one reason why I try and avoid anything to do with the blasted company as far as I can.

The trouble is I've had to waste hours disabling all the rubbish Google include in just about everything, just to save further hours of deleting/ignoring/getting annoyed by Google targeted ads. I needed to use a Chrome app the other day (no other way of doing what I wanted to do) and very stupidly installed the Chrome browser. The damn thing infected me with goodness knows how many tracking tricks, took a good hour to get rid of them all. I was stupid, as the open source version of the same browser (but with no Google added crap) Chromium, works every bit as well and runs Chrome apps. Google are without a doubt the masters of spam....................

Edited by jsharris, 24 March 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#8 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

View Postjoiner, on 24 March 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

"This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalise ads and to analyse traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies."
Likely they just use Google Analytics, which is perfectly above board.

#9 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

And install Ghostery to stop siteas tracking what you do.

#10 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

Ghostery sells (anonymised) data it collects from its users.

Jack

#11 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

View Postnotnickclegg, on 24 March 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

Ghostery sells (anonymised) data it collects from its users.

Jack

As the saying goes, "If you aren't paying for the product, then you ARE the product".....................

#12 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Exactly. This myopic embrace of "free" (as in gratis or beer, not libre or speech) causes all sorts of twisted incentives.

#13 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

Welcome
I would be interested in hearing about your emergency shelter work. I have an old mate that is involved in that.

As for ad/tracking. I still have not accepted the terms and conditions of this site, and don't seem tot have a problem. But then I do you Ghostery, so that may be doing it, and I use Firefox, and don't allow it to save cookies, and it clears everything when I shut it down.

#14 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

+1

As do I on all counts, thanks to ProDave directing me to Ghostery some time ago. I still get followed around, but by only one or two shadows from whom I still buy stuff anyway.

#15 Cabinz

Cabinz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Thankyou all for your warm welcome & interest.

We fund the project currently, by buying artic lorries of grade b metal skin sandwich panels (like kingspan) from a supplier who supports us & selling at low cost of £6 to £8 a sq m. Firstly, to our target group of low income individuals / groups & small businesses. However, we can sell to other groups, but may limit quantity for sale.

We also have worked with a large composite door manufacturer for 1.5 yrs & have re-use 40 tonnes of their insulated off-cuts. We sell their scrap door for £20 (slight mark / miscut etc) .

Using the 2 mtr grp / fire resisitant plastic off cut strips from cutting door to size, we combine this with drywall lining or purlings c-stud to form what we call 'Metalclad' a strong framing material.

See here for details http://www.instructa...eam-From-Waste/ (wood, pipe or other material for core could be used)

Vinay Gupta , inventor of the Hexayurt suggested it could be used like GridBeam

These products are still at experimental stage, but if anyone is interested in collaborating, or ordering a pallet to experiment themselves
Pm me or email cabinznet@gmail.com

Posted Image

Composite door off-cuts (currenty 6 tonnes a weel landfilled as its mixed grp / pir foam )

Posted Image

View PostSteamyTea, on 24 March 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

Welcome
I would be interested in hearing about your emergency shelter work. I have an old mate that is involved in that.

We have had some support from Vinay Gupta , inventor of the Hexayurt & are working on a prototype design within the Uk permitted development rules. See
https://www.blogger....=9;src=postname
https://groups.googl...urt/jNLORaR61vM
http://hexayurt.com/