ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Construction Noise Regulations.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Calvinmiddle

Calvinmiddle

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHerts/Beds border (Letchworth area)

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:53 AM

I had an issue with a neighbour over this and I think that I found that for construction work the regulations where 8am-6pm Mon to Fri and 8am-1pm on Sat

Found the below at this site http://www.hgs.org.u...eguidelines.pdf

But when my neighbour made a compliant about me all I got was a letter through the letterbox saying I was breaking the rules and if I didn't stop and they got more reports of out of hours noise then they may come with monitoring equipment to measure the level of the noise at the boundary.

So if I was you with only a couple of days left, I'd wait to get something from the council and then play innocent and tell them you are following the rules as you found the 7am thing. Let them prove to you it's 8am and even then it's up to them to prove that you are working outside of the times. They can't take the word of a neighbour.

PERMITTED HOURS OF WORK
The permitted hours of work when noise can be audible at a construction site boundary are:
MONDAY TO FRIDAY 8:00am to 6:00pm
SATURDAY. 8:00am to 1:00pm
SUNDAY AND BANK HOLIDAYS. No work allowed
Any noisy operations outside these hours cannot be undertaken without prior approval of the Environmental Services department and permission is only granted in exceptional circumstances, e.g. emergency works, in which case the Environmental Health Section should be contacted as soon as possible.

#22 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:03 AM

Whilst i agree with Vijay that falling out with neighbors can be hellish, some folk just like to be belligerent and need to be stood up to

Buy him a box of Roses and a tell him thanks for his patience

#23 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

View Postdoofaloofa, on 24 March 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

Whilst i agree with Vijay that falling out with neighbors can be hellish, some folk just like to be belligerent and need to be stood up to

Buy him a box of Roses and a tell him thanks for his patience

I've found the same. I've bent over backwards to be as accommodating and understanding with our neighbours as possible, a tactic which worked very well in the main. There's one exception, and that's someone for whom one could never do enough. The more I tried to placate him by doing things to try and keep him happy, the more things he found to moan about. I've given up now, and am doing no more, as I think he's really just someone who likes nothing better than to have a moan, whether it's justified or not.

#24 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

Some people are only happy when they're unhappy.

Jack

#25 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

I would give him F A. And I might even sprinkle some sugar on it. Unless it's heavy machinery, diggers dumpers and mixers then its 7 am.

#26 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

We had a few crews who were chomping at the bit to start at 7am weekdays and run past 1pm Saturdays and only ever had one neighbour complain regularly - funnily enough its the next door one who we're most friendly with.

As ever, compromise is the key and I was happy to have them on site from 7ish to prep but no noisy work till 8, usually this meant 7.45 :)

On Saturdays I usually let them run until next door 'had a word' and it worked fine.

#27 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

My next door neighbour ( to be when we get planning) who has complained about everything I have done so far has already told me he does not want my JCB working after 6pm or at weekends. Funny how we are in the middle of farming land and tractors have been known to work all night to get work done!. Somehow I think he can go xxxx xxxxxxx. :)

#28 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

Everywhere I look it says something like..

The Control of Pollution Act 1974 and Environmental Protection Act 1990 places specific duties on building contractors to ensure that noise, smoke and dust is kept to a minimum.

and

The permitted hours of work when noise can be audible at a construction site boundary are:

MONDAY TO FRIDAY 8:00am to 6:00pm
SATURDAY 8:00am to 1:00pm
SUNDAY AND BANK HOLIDAYS No work allowed

Any noisy operations outside these hours cannot be undertaken without prior approval of the Environmental Services department and permission is only granted in exceptional circumstances, e.g. emergency works, in which case the Environmental Health Section should be contacted as soon as possible.

#29 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

.... And as a self builder are you classed as a construction worker or is it DIY which is reasonable at any time ..??

#30 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostPeterW, on 24 March 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

.... And as a self builder are you classed as a construction worker or is it DIY which is reasonable at any time ..??

You're classed as a "construction worker" if building a new house,or doing major renovation/refurbishment of an existing house, if that work requires building control oversight, I believe.

The conditions Colin has copied above are word for word what is written into our planning permission as a condition (I've just checked, I was wrong earlier in this thread with one of the times). As it's law, I can't really see the point of adding it again as a planning condition, TBH.

#31 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

View Postjsharris, on 24 March 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

You're classed as a "construction worker" if building a new house,or doing major renovation/refurbishment of an existing house, if that work requires building control oversight, I believe.

The conditions Colin has copied above are word for word what is written into our planning permission as a condition (I've just checked, I was wrong earlier in this thread with one of the times). As it's law, I can't really see the point of adding it again as a planning condition, TBH.
Oops.

#32 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

View Postjoe90, on 24 March 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

Funny how we are in the middle of farming land and tractors have been known to work all night to get work done!. Somehow I think he can go xxxx xxxxxxx. :)

the best one i ever heard was a friend of a friend was driving his cows down a lane to bring them in for milking. lets say it was between 4 and 5 am, then to his surprise there was a man standing in the middle of the road in his dressing gown.
the farmer shouted for him to get out if the way because he was likely to get trampled, but he just stayed there until he realised the cows were not going to stop for him. finally he stood back in his gateway for the cows to pass but continued to shout and swear at the farmer..." who the f*ck do you think you are moving those f*cking animals around at this ridiculous hour in the morning. YOUR SPOILING THE PEACE AND QUIET OF THE COUNTRYSIDE"
:lol: :lol: :lol: