ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Construction Noise Regulations.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

I may have a problem about to land on my lap, so need to get my information straight:

A neighbour (3 doors up the road, not next door) is apparently a miserable @!##. We got on well before last week.
He doesn't like the renderers starting early, scraping back the render. The earliest being 7am, and this is a 1 week long job.
No power tools involved (in the morning anyway, which is the issue). Tomorrow (thurs morn, 23/03 being the last day.

The stuff is sprayed on last thing in the afternoon, and has to be hand scraped flat whilst green, before hard, ie before 9am.

All the Govt websites say that 11pm-7am is quiet time, Harrogate Borough Council say 8am-6pm. the say work "should" be in the hours 8am-6pm. Interesting the word "should", not "must".

There is very little clarity in what is actually Law, they can stick a letter about noise abatement through my letter box, but what takes precedent, the 7am start or 8am start? There is no restrictions mentioned in the planning permission that I can find.

I am aware they can put a notice on me to stop all works, but that wont happen before I've finished the job (we're at 2nd fix).

The guy started braying on the door of the house we're stopping in, and started shouting at me, was unprepared to listen, just carried on shouting. Talking with him is not an option. he is usually up by 7am anyway!

EDIT I used the word G1tt. The language moderator is obviously set to "sensitive" lol.

Edited by Fubar, 23 March 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#2 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

What would the effect of starting a bit later be on the overall project? Significant? What does he regard as a reasonable time to start; 7.30?

#3 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

I was looking into this the other day about shooting on a sunday. and you are right in saying it is very vague.
have you got a decibel meter available? probably won't help but its always good to put numbers to things.
TBH scraping back render is not exactly loud but as always he doesnt like the fact you have got a nice new house and feels the need to cause you a problem.

#4 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

Shooting on a Sunday indeed! May the Devil Damn You Black!

I've never heard of such dastardly behaviour. I mean crows don't fly on Sundays, rabbits are well known go have the day off, and as for game birds - well ......

#5 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

Sounds like you need to decide whether you want/need the neighbour onside. If you do then cease and desist until a time he deems suitable, if not then carry on regardless - as you note you will not be causing a "noise nuisance" outside the hours of 11pm-7am according the Noise Act so at the worst you will be infringing a local by-law.

#6 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

:D I know its allowed, i just wanted to know what times :P
For the little one i wouldn't have bothered but repetitively shooting an unmoderated .243 even i consider to be quite loud. I never did find a proper answer, general consensus was just carry on until someone moans at you.
One thing i remember from the research was you are not allowed to run mowers or chainsaws until after 9am(i think) on a sunday :ph34r:

#7 vijay

vijay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

I have to just say I've been on the other end of a neighbour doing work for 3 years with total disregard to working hours and how it affected me - it wears you down to a point that the slightest noise wakes you. If you can do 8am to 6pm, just do it for the sake of peace as it's horrible when you fall out with neighbours

#8 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 23 March 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

Shooting on a Sunday indeed! May the Devil Damn You Black!

I've never heard of such dastardly behaviour. I mean crows don't fly on Sundays, rabbits are well known go have the day off, and as for game birds - well ......

I wasn't allowed to mow my lawn in Switzerland on a Sunday, practising a musical instrument was also a no-no. Apparently some ageing, badly built apartments had a "no standing to pee" clause in their contracts too. Some people/nations seem more intolerant of noise than others.

#9 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

The guys have to get up at 5.45am to get to mine to start work, they are are leaving it to the last minute according to them. Although they are only in their 20's and look like chavs, their workmanship is spot on and obviously take pride in their job. They don't even stop for cups of tea!!!!
They left one of the smaller facades until 7.30am, whilst getting some grief from said neighbour. They didn't like being called cowboys, or having copies of the HBC noise web page stuffed under the wipers of their van. A Db meter wouldn't help, they're finishing tomorrow, but he reckons (maybe bluff) that he's informed the environmental health about our antisocial ways.

#10 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

It also depends on whether you have a planning condition that mentions it, as that trumps the law. In our case we had a condition that said no work earlier than 8am, or later than 6pm, on weekdays and no earlier than 8am, no later than midday on Saturdays and no work at all on Sundays or public holidays.

#11 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 23 March 2016 - 09:02 PM, said:

Sounds like you need to decide whether you want/need the neighbour onside. If you do then cease and desist until a time he deems suitable, if not then carry on regardless - as you note you will not be causing a "noise nuisance" outside the hours of 11pm-7am according the Noise Act so at the worst you will be infringing a local by-law.
We wouldn't operate before 7am, so noise nuisance isn't an issue

#12 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

View Postjsharris, on 23 March 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

It also depends on whether you have a planning condition that mentions it, as that trumps the law. In our case we had a condition that said no work earlier than 8am, or later than 6pm, on weekdays and no earlier than 8am, no later than midday on Saturdays and no work at all on Sundays or public holidays.
nothing i can find mentioning noise in planning conditions, it's all about water and energy

#13 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

View Postvijay, on 23 March 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

I have to just say I've been on the other end of a neighbour doing work for 3 years with total disregard to working hours and how it affected me - it wears you down to a point that the slightest noise wakes you. If you can do 8am to 6pm, just do it for the sake of peace as it's horrible when you fall out with neighbours
As I put, this is a 1 week rendering job, the scraping back starting at 8am is too late. they can't spray the stuff on in the dark!

#14 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

Lots of nice replies, but the question is: does the 7am start as per the govt website take priority over the 8am "should" start as on the LA website?

#15 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

I think the worst that's going to happen is that a council jobs-worth will turn up and tell you to hold-off until 8am ( But they don't start till 9am anyway) - at which point you quote the Noise Act to them. This should happily delay things until you've finished.

#16 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

I don't know but i can't see what it is going to change.
He has already (supposedly) filed the complaint, you have only got 1 day left,
I don't think you can get done for noise nuisance without using power tools or at least something that is quite loud.
I would carry on regardless,

my 2 cents

#17 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

might be an idea to take a short video of the scraping if you can. at least then if the official person does come round your friendly neighbour can't over exaggerate the situation ;)

#18 Fubar

Fubar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

good idea, one of his complaints was the cement mixer noise. I really hope he pursues that avenue. They don't use one in the morning, it's hand tools only.

#19 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:35 PM

So unless you're running a mixer from 7am -6pm and are in contravention of your planning then there is little he can do ..!

Statutory nuisance requires much more than this, and he has to follow proper channels to get it registered.

The council have a process, if he (or they) don't follow it then it's back to square one !

#20 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:25 AM

The regs talk of night time house as being 11pm to 7am, so unless you have a specific planning condition limiting working hours you can reasonable start work at 7am.

Good luck with the last day.