ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Trying To Keep This Secret....

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

If you search CT312 on eBay you will find a host of 3 in 1 machines for less than £200 delivered.

No, they won't weld aluminum but ask yourself how often you would do that anyway. (for info, Landrover bodywork is a pig to weld regardless, so you don't need one for that..)

Once you have a plasma cutter though you will be wandering round looking for things to cut up ..!

It's addictive ...!

Edited by PeterW, 24 March 2016 - 11:26 PM.

#22 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:59 AM

Yes, it is really 'horses fro courses' with welding.
TIG, or Tungsten Inert Gas, is really a replacement for oxyacetylene welding, or 'proper' welding. The inert gas reduces the oxidation. The electrode is tungsten.
MIG, or Metal Inert Gas, is similar except the electrode is also the 'filler'.
Arc or stick is similar to MIG, but the flux coating on the rod reduces the oxidation. Good for anything over 3mm (1/8th inch), rubbish when working upside down. It also tends to produce greater temperatures in the work piece, which can cause distortion.

#23 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

Apart from the business degree, C&G welding is my only formal paper qualification, MMA, gas, Mig, Tig. Back in the day (mid-70s) I was both Lloyds Class 1 and ASME 9.

I was already working as a welder-fabricator when I went for the C&G (two evenings a week, a trade test exempted me from the first year - in fact I taught the instructor how to do 'conventional' welding as distinct from 'stove pipe'). The very first instructor I ever had always made the point that there were "welders and people who knew how to weld".

That all came to an end when I developed, of all things, tennis elbow, which meant I could no longer work on site doing the positional welding essential, unavoidable, on the gas pipelines that were branching out across the country back then. I did go on to "surface work" on the terminals, but it was getting to the point where my elbows were getting so bad that I was afraid the problem would stop me altogether. I got a fabulous job in a small workshop doing jobbing work and development work making "customised municipal vehicles", which is how I ended up with a Class 1 HGV because someone had to drive them out to test them and demonstrate them to the customer. (I didn't need anything more than Class 2, but the instructor offered to take me to Class 1 if I slipped him a couple of quid on top of what the company was paying him, and the company didn't mind anyway.)

#24 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:54 AM

There's lots of info here on the CT312 types:

http://www.mig-weldi...o.uk/forum/&ss=