ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

The Birds

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

Has anyone put their mind to solving noise and nuisance from birds? Specifically crows but also fat countryside pigeons.

This is the worst time of year for us. All the birds seem to be building nests under our solar panels, and waking guests up at 5:30 squawking and generally running along the ridge of our roof.

We live next to a church which is itself overrun with crows.

I just wondered if anyone had had any bright ideas how to design in bird deterrents.

#2 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

We have a 'visitor' currently trying to build a nest in our shower room extractor ductwork! One perished louvered grille to blame.

#3 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

You can fit a wire mesh to all of the sides to stop the birds getting in. Look like this.Attached File  Screenshot_20160323-115433.png   216.73K   10 downloads

#4 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

Remove the food source, they will soon find somewhere else to nest.

#5 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

>Has anyone put their mind to solving noise and nuisance from birds? Specifically crows but also fat countryside pigeons.

Remove one source of food and create another, perhaps?

Both pests can be legally controlled for Public Health reasons.

For the pigeons you need an air rifle and a freezer.

I don't know so much about crows. Larsen traps?

It would help if you are in the country, but do your homework around the General License for shooting. And take care not to get trolled by bunny-huggers.

I could shoot pigeons in my garden, but I am rather close to the "15m from a highway" limit both sides when posted at my bathroom window looking down on the birdfeeders.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 23 March 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#6 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

Yeah we're in the country. Fields on every side except one. I know a man with a gun.

LOL - I think removing the food source (worms?) would involve napalm or a small tactical nuke.

@declan52 - looks like a good solution... once I can get some scaffolding up ;-) Not sure on the fixings, do you think the wire compressed then squeezed between panel and tile would last?

Do inline PV panel fixing systems have the same problem or do they have a designed in solution?

Edited by gravelld, 23 March 2016 - 01:22 PM.

#7 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

View Postgravelld, on 23 March 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Yeah we're in the country. Fields on every side except one. I know a man with a gun.

LOL - I think removing the food source (worms?) would involve napalm or a small tactical nuke.

@declan52 - looks like a good solution... once I can get some scaffolding up ;-) Not sure on the fixings, do you think the wire compressed then squeezed between panel and tile would last?

Do inline PV panel fixing systems have the same problem or do they have a designed in solution?

Aha.

Assumed you had bird feeders.

F

#8 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

Just looks like cable ties hold the mesh on to the clamps.

#9 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

You might have a point @Ferdinand - if I introduce a new source as bait. They'd love an easy meal I bet.

@declan52 yes I didn't look properly before - the mesh looks surface mounted on the side of the panel. Not sure where you could get the clamps...

#10 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 23 March 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Remove the food source, they will soon find somewhere else to nest.

Incorrect.

A nest site, a roosting site and a feeding site will have different requirements, and the clever thing about birds is they can fly...

Often great distances to find food, and return to a familiar roosting/nesting site

removing a food source will mean you will get less birds during the day (unless owls) but probably have no effect on the roosting/nesting habits of the birds

Edited by doofaloofa, 23 March 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#11 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

I have seen falcon kites that are tethered and fly in very low wind conditions used for crop protection

recordings of birds of prey are used at airports and the like

These kinds of measures may work on smaller birds and wood pigeon, but a murder of corvidae will not be so easily intimidated, and mostly it is easier to find a compromise, like better sound proofing ;]

You could try baiting the bird food, but that would be extremely cruel and not to mention very bad luck. Probably illegal too

#12 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

View Postgravelld, on 23 March 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

You might have a point @Ferdinand - if I introduce a new source as bait. They'd love an easy meal I bet.

@declan52 yes I didn't look properly before - the mesh looks surface mounted on the side of the panel. Not sure where you could get the clamps...
Here's a better pic.Attached File  Screenshot_20160323-153223.png   168.09K   5 downloads

#13 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

Thanks.

I didn't mean poisoned bait! I probably used the wrong word.

#14 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:52 PM

you will need more than an air rifle to take down a crow. unless you go for the eye, which is unlikely,

if you are in the country do you have a clay shooting range anywhere nearby, if so join the club, apply for a shotgun license and deal with them that way.

how i would do it anyway....

#15 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

I'd be against a crow genocide, and carried out in a church yard might piss off god

More will just move in sooner or later any way (crows, not gods)

Perhaps train them to steal shiny objects, and you have a new revenue stream

#16 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

I would have thought that a shot gun, or a proper riffle, could make a mess of your modules.

My neighbour is a 'shooter', a quite, private, family bloke, with a hatred of foreigners. Should I be worried?

#17 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

We've got an influx of frogs...have found about 10 in the bedroom alone this week. The tanks were full of them. I got as many out as I could but looks like they are returning to their old spawning area! I just let them out the 'window' and hope they don't return, given that the floor is now almost dry with having the roof on!

#18 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

If I were to shoot them I think a chain gun would be more appropriate, given their number. And yeah I'd have to face away from the modules!

I quite like crows anyway; smart birds.

Are scaring tactics possible in a domestic setting? We have a lot of bazooka style scarers in the fields around our house, powered by gas bottles. But they'd probably be more annoying than the crows!

How does this work with noise and also thermal insulation. If the roof was properly insulated thermally, would that lower the noise? Or do you have to combine the two?

Anything high pitched or similar that makes more sense over less land?

#19 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:49 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 24 March 2016 - 07:18 AM, said:

I would have thought that a shot gun, or a proper riffle, could make a mess of your modules.

My neighbour is a 'shooter', a quite, private, family bloke, with a hatred of foreigners. Should I be worried?

you don't shoot them while they are nesting you un sporting so and so. you shoot them as they cross the border onto your land and are still flying,

and no don't worry your neighbour sounds fairly normal to me :P

#20 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

So glad I am not up your way now :D