ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Reinstating Old V-Lining... Woodworm Question...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hector

hector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I am renovating an old stone croft house. When everything was fairly stripped back I had the place treated against woodworm, and left as many as I could of the old floorboards in the house to get sprayed. I am now in the process of reinstating some of these - some with some "characterful" holes in, but I'm not putting back anything that's really bad or had become rotten.

However, I had always hoped to reinstate some of the original v-lining that came out, and that had been taken off site and put in storage when the treatment guy sprayed the house.

So my question is - at what point should I treat those lining boards?

My feeling was that I wouldn't want to bring them back into the house until they'd been treated, but by the same token they are eventually to be sanded down in place and varnished, which would presumably render any pre-treatment defunct...

Is it safe to bring them in and reinstate them, sand them etc. and treat everything just before being varnished, or should they not be allowed anywhere near the house - possibly meaning I need to treat them twice, once before bringing them in, and again just before they are varnished?

Many thanks for any advice!

Hector.

#2 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:55 PM

Woodworm can't digest dry wood so at some point the wood must have got damp, not good inside a building.

Can you spray the backs of the lining boards.

#3 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

If you can make sure they keep dry they shouldn't need treating. See this article
http://www.buildingc...rm/woodworm.htm

#4 hector

hector

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hi both, many thanks for this advice, and sorry for the late reply!

Yes the build had been pretty damp at some points, but it's been right back to the stone work and the reinstated wood will be going onto new internal framing within a DPC.

All the v-lining has been stripped out so I can easily spray the backs before they go back in.

The wood has been stored dry for the last year, so all should be well.

Thanks again,

Hector.