ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Small Low-ish Energy House - Thoughts On Design Please!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

View PostMarkH, on 16 March 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

I can't edit the post title otherwise I'd change 'tiny' to 'small'.
Done ;)
Regards, Nick.

#42 MarkH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationWest Wales

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:39 PM

Thanks! Given the bath-factor can I change low energy to low-ish energy?

#43 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

:D :D :D

Edited by joiner, 17 March 2016 - 06:48 AM.

#44 MarkH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationWest Wales

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

After staring at the free demo of PHPP for a while I found Jeremy Harris' much simpler spreadsheet and I'm trying to get to grips with the results. Has anyone posted their results on here and is there a thread I haven't found which discusses the spreadsheet?

My daily heat loss at average temp ranges up to just under 1 kW, that doesn't seem like much? Won't two people, a fridge and misc electrical items produce most of that in a day and will we therefore cook (as previously suggested) in the solar heat gain through our probably unwise windows that we really want?

The spreadsheet doesn't factor in solar gain but I found an online calculator http://www.susdesign...windowheatgain/ that suggests my proposed big (12m2) ESE facing window will suck in about 200kW during a theoretical cloudless December, or abour 6.5kW a day. Is my thinking - that I therefore have 5.5kw excess kW - correct? Even in December?

By the way, thanks to everyone who has answered my questions/ given opinions. This forum is very, very good; I'm quite amazed by it.

#45 jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

You're right, the spreadsheet doesn't allow for any form of heat gain, it only calculates heat loss. You're also right that solar gain can cause overheating - you may have noted that I reported a couple of weeks ago that our cooling system had come on as the house, with no heating, was up around 23 to 24 deg C.......................

If you build a low energy house you don't really need to worry about heating, but you do need to pay careful attention as to how you are going to control over-heating, so things like window size, type and position, together with provision for shading.