ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Laying Reclaimed Parquet And Ufh.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlexC

AlexC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

I am in the process of stripping my house before the big knock down. I have about 100 sq.m of beech parquet in pretty good condition that I was hoping to reuse some of in my new build (although most if it is still stuck to the floor). New house will have a mbc passive slab with ufh. Any thoughts on how much of a pain it will be to clean up the bitumen and lay the parquet and also any view on laying it over ufh. I was planning on using something like this https://parquet-parq...itumen-removal/ to stick it down. Being a passive spec house the slab temp will be pretty low so I am hoping it should be fine. Also If I have 1 room with parquet and tiles elsewhere should I just run it all as 1 temp zone, or try and increase the flow temp under the wood to make up for its extra insulation properties.

Edited by joiner, 14 March 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#2 woodyoulike

woodyoulike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationAshford, Kent

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

Beech and UFH is a definite no no I'm afraid. It is a too nervous wood species

#3 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

We had lovely oak herringbone parquet in our old property. I did think on trying to reclaim it but it was just too fussy and time consuming. In the end it went the same way as the rest of the old house - off to get crushed.

When I bought in some type 1 a bit later, I'm sure I found pieces of it - suppose that's one form of recycling!

#4 bassanclan

bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:13 PM

I am cleaning the bitumen off 90sqm of parquet floor from leamington spa library.
It is a massive chore. I wish I had never started

#5 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:28 PM

I asked a similar question although I have seen it done with a maple block floor.

The guy took a bandsaw to 50 sqm of blocks to thin them to around an inch, then through a thicknesser to 3/4 but making sure the top surface was retained with its patina...

These were then glued to sheets of ply that had been bonded to the floor ..!! DIY engineered wood flooring ...!!