ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

How To Convince Thieves Our Shipping Container Contains Nothing Of Value?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

All I learned from the above is if you find yourself in that position, don't say "I grabbed him from behind" say "I performed a citizens arrest"

I agree it was totally bonkers to even begin to accuse you of assult in that situation.

Edited by ProDave, 18 March 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#62 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostProDave, on 18 March 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

All I learned from the above is if you find yourself in that position, don't say "I grabbed him from behind" say "I performed a citizens arrest"

I agree it was totally bonkers to even begin to accuse you of assult in that situation.

Apparently even a "citizens arrest" is assault, as is, technically, an arrest by a police officer or any other authorised person. What happens is that if there is evidence that the arrest, and hence the assault, were deemed to be justified in the circumstances, then the assault charge would not be applied.

In this case tackling him from in front wasn't an option, for two reasons. Firstly he had his back to me, secondly he was swinging a felling axe in front of him....................

#63 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

Well I cought a chap stealing my car on my drive, many years ago, and grabbed him from behind like Jeremy, turned into a scuffle and he managed to try to stick an 8 inch screwdriver in my back!!. Eventually I managed to floor him and unfortunately he banged his head ( needed 13 stitches and like Jeremy the attitude of the Doctor changed once he was told he was stealing my car!) . Turns out he lived very close and I told the police I was worried as normally I was at work and had a wife and two young children at home. The police told me they didn't know what I said to him during the scuffle and they didn't want to know what I said but " trust me, he is more scared of you than you are of him :) although he did £500 worth of uninsured damage the judge, bless him, told the scumbag he could pay me back half in weekly instalments of £20. ( which I never got). The police were pissed of that he " got away with it" and I was awarded a "Gong" ( the police told him he was lucky that it was me that caught him and not most other males who would have beaten the living day lights or of him.) I think the Gong was for being a good citizen in holding him till the police arrived and not just beat the cr@p out of him.

I asked the police if I was likely to be "at fault" for his injury and they said definately not, In fact told me I would have been entitled to hit him with a brick ( if it was to hand and didn't go and get it, I.e, it was there to prop the gate open). :)

#64 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

The whole issue of "having a go" was the topic of the daytime TV show I was asked to appear on (you know the one, now long since gone, the one with the infamous bloke with the double-barrelled name). They had imported a bunch of huggy-fluffs from somewhere, who were vigorously arguing that what we'd done, by "assaulting" this armed robber, was morally wrong.

There was a representative from the police there (fairly senior, as I recall, an ACC I think) who gave the standard police line that members of the public should not put themselves at risk if they choose to tackle an offender. Inevitably the topic of what one could or could not do came up, and the police chap said that the rules for members of the public apprehending someone were essentially the same as those that apply to the police. That is, you can use "reasonable force" to detain someone you know or suspect of committing a crime, but no more. As always, there is no legal definition of "reasonable force", if it ever came to court it would be something a jury would have to decide, and every case would be different.

As we know, shooting a robber with a shotgun was not deemed to be "reasonable force", but in my case sitting on the bloke, holding his arm up behind his back and pushing his face against the pavement was accepted as being "reasonable force"

#65 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:46 PM

Ill have to remember that one.
reasonable force i get a gong
If i fetched a weapon i had better bury that as well...

Got it ;)

#66 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

No sign of things changing -
My cousin is the Coxswain of an inshore lifeboat. Late last autumn he was called out to a suicide attempt at a local beach. He arrived to find a distressed woman up to her waist in the extremely cold water threatening to end it all. On the beach were a couple of policemen and an ambulance crew trying to talk her back in. The lifeboat was requested to hold position off the beach while this was all going on. The situation was a stand-off for a couple of hours with the woman moving in and out from the shore but always retreating to the deeper water if anyone approached. Eventually with night falling and the woman obviously suffering from the onset of hypothermia my cousin directed the lifeboat inwards, jumped in beside the woman and dragged her to shore. She was immediately taken care of by the ambulance crew, he was immediately arrested by the police.

Luckily the RNLI are well connected - at 10:30pm he got a phone call from a very senior policeman apologising for the "misunderstanding" and informing him that the constable who had arrested him had been spoken to and asked to engage his brain before acting in the future.

#67 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:51 PM

My only brush with the law and a "caution" happened when I was in my early 20's before I had flown the nest.

Where we lived on a busy road, served by a service road giving access to the houses and our front driveway, where I parked my car. It was extremely common for people to park opposite the driveway enterance, and the road was so narrow that made it impossible to exit.

So being a young lad I doctored a cartoon with Mickey mouse on it and put a caption saying "Thanks for parking so close, next time please leave a F***** can opener so i can get my car out" I thought a bit of humour might hit the note better than getting all angry with them.

Then one day a PC knocks on the door. "Do you recognise these sir"? I was formally cautioned with "distributing obscene material" but no charge was ever brought.

I edited the leaflets after that to remove the F word but otherwise read the same and continued using them. I couldn't wait to get away from that god forsaken place. You might gather I don't like big cities, and especially not on busy roads leading into big cities.

Edited by ProDave, 18 March 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#68 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

I have got to ask did you put the ****'s in the original note?

#69 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 18 March 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

I have got to ask did you put the ****'s in the original note?
No I spelled it out in all it's glory. I just didn't want to repeat that on the forum.

#70 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

:lol: ...you see what you did wrong there..... :lol:

#71 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

POPULAR

I've always a got a few of these in the glove box :D

Attached Files

#72 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

POPULAR

And when you've finished with your container you could convert it to this

Attached File  image.jpeg   35.77K   0 downloads

#73 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:34 PM

Now that is a very clever idea.

#74 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:41 PM

View PostTriassic, on 19 March 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

And when you've finished with your container you could convert it to this

Attachment image.jpeg
Now were talking.
B)

Edited by Nickfromwales, 19 March 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#75 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:53 PM

I know that's what happened to a few of those and also a couple of 40k water bowsers out in Iraq when the Royal Engineers got bored ....!