ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

How To Convince Thieves Our Shipping Container Contains Nothing Of Value?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

My step-son's father-in-law suspected someone had been snooping around his van on his small holding and so rigged one up. He heard it fired at about 2 am and raced outside in the nude. No scrote but a back-pack full of "going prepared" tools (including some cordless stuff in the days when they still cost an arm and a leg), so in profit. They never returned.

Edited by joiner, 12 March 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#22 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:18 PM

Just roll out a stinger across your site entrance when you leave. Don't forget to stop and roll it in when you arrive back at site.

If you have a digger, park that in front of the container with the boom against the door.

I always thought that a car alarm would work best when linked to the largest set of air horns you could find, placed under the drivers seat. Make it physically painful to remain inside the car when they are sounding.

#23 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

do you need a license for blanks??

#24 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

Appears not...

http://www.scotland....arges/firearms/

Unless the law's different in Scotland.

Edited by joiner, 12 March 2016 - 06:28 PM.
Duff info deleted

#25 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

probably for the best. can't give any sort of maniac access to that kinda thing B)

#26 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:29 PM

Sorry Ed. :rolleyes:

#27 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Edit: Oh dear..... and the legality of this kind of trap??

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 12 March 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#28 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

I really do like the sound of a covered moat.

But I would want one that will swallow the car nearly whole.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 12 March 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#29 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

View PostProDave, on 12 March 2016 - 06:18 PM, said:

If you have a digger, park that in front of the container with the boom against the door.

Thanks Dave
Ian

#30 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

View Postjoe90, on 12 March 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

I made one of these myself to stop someone stealing livestock, trouble was the wife tripped it by accident and she couldn't hear anything for 24 hours !!!

Had one of these and for a little more oomph we put it inside a galvanised bucket as an echo chamber and to "direct" the noise.

It was heard 2 miles away ...!

#31 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

Thanks all - feel slightly better not being the only one.

I think I'll put in some passive measures - car battery with airhorns inside the container. I can rig it up to the second door that doesn't often get opened - it will make one hell of a noise - enough to make anyone scarper I would think.

I'd seen the shot gun thing before - once we've got the roof on and close the entrances up, that'll be going in a few choice locations.

I'm going to check through my site insurance to see exactly what is covered and maybe make an inventory. Any more idea - keep 'em coming!

Edited by joiner, 12 March 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#32 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

What sort of insurance would you suggest for two container loads of furniture?

I'm thinking of camouflaging my containers, any suggestions on the best colour to use?

#33 Mikey1980

Mikey1980

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Our container was raided a few weeks ago, there was a spate of premises being broken into over a ten mile radius for a week, so I expect it was just a gang but I have taken precuationary measures, there is a magnetic alarm so as soon as the door open it goes off, also an old halloween prop of a ghost which starts screaming when movement is detected.

#34 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 12 March 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

good job you didn't use a live cartridge :unsure:

I used live cartridges but took the shot out of them, the gamekeeper that showed me how to make it said they used to put magnesium inside the cartridge, that way when it went off there was no rush as the scrotes were temporaroly blinded by the magnesium and would be stumbling around in the dark walking into trees etc :)

#35 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

View Postjoe90, on 13 March 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

I used live cartridges but took the shot out of them, the gamekeeper that showed me how to make it said they used to put magnesium inside the cartridge, that way when it went off there was no rush as the scrotes were temporaroly blinded by the magnesium and would be stumbling around in the dark walking into trees etc :)

Im sure youve told me this before and i couldn't find the magnesium ribbon i used to have last time either :D

Fibre/plastic/No wadding???? i assume the latter to get a decent spark to the magnesium

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 13 March 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#36 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

He didn't go into how he did it and I didn't bother, the very large bang in our location was enough to bring on a cardiac arrest :)

#37 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

How about fitting a secure 'window' in the front of the container? Metal frame, A4 sized, 20mm acrylic.
Put a cheap torch on a string and a sign that says "have a look first, not worth the effort. PS smile your on camera !"
Simple, and would stop them dead.
( not the dead we'd like btw ).
B)

#38 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

They'd think you were bluffing and that all the valuable stuff was hidden out of sight below the sight-line of the window.

#39 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

In the pub last night a neighbouring farmer was telling me about his security approach. He has a container on rails, with the doors up against a wall, he uses the tractor to pull it up the rails, away from the barn wall, this allows him to open the doors. The then pushes it with the tractor back against the wall once he's finished inside.

#40 RoundTuit

RoundTuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNorth Cambs

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

It's a bit old-school, but: guard dog!

Clearly, the animal welfare aspects need to be considered, but it's long been recognised that the sound of a big, bad, pi$$ed-off dog unsettles even the most obtuse of ne'er-do-well's!