ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

How To Convince Thieves Our Shipping Container Contains Nothing Of Value?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

Because there isn't? Last night I turned up to get something and found that would-be thieves had tried to get into the container. We have a Padlock Protector on it (now damaged) and a CISO padlock - they didn't get anywhere with that with bolt cutters.

But, apart from something that is now not there ('cos it's at home), there is nothing of any real value in there - all power tools and expensive things come home. But how do you convince these rats of that?

If they've tried once, they might try again (although surely only a brainless wonder tries to break into a properly secured container with bolt cutters)?

My worry is they come back with cutting equipment - ruin our container and find nothing of real value but trash it anyway.

Horrible feeling.

I really want some geese now. But seriously - a home made sign saying 'No power tools or items of value are left in here (due to attempted breakins). Can these lowlifes even read?

#2 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

The only way seems to be to leave the doors open! - Most of the empty parked-up lorries around here aren't locked for this very reason.
You may find the PIR lighting will scare them off, bit it may just make their view of the padlock that bit clearer

#3 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

that will get the same response as the "no power tools left over night" stickers on vans. Ignored
is there power there? if not a rechargeable flood light on PIR. might help with shock value.

personally i would go for a sign more along the lines of. "There really is nothing of value Inside, but please don't damage the container" and leave the key to a cheap padlock hanging from the note.

seeing how remote your site is they could probably even get away with using a Gas torch so no point in even trying to stop them from looking inside. let them look and hopefully they will take it as "well played",

do you own the container?

Edit: crossed with Alphonsox

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 11 March 2016 - 09:32 PM.

#4 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, 'tis ours. We've got power on site, I'm probably going to run a PIR light down to near the container tomorrow. We've got 3 site cams, they don't quite see the container, but I'm going to try something tmrw. Even if we knew when/who/what van, better than nothing. It sends pics over the air immediately so handy as reference - we can check during the day.

I did toy with just leaving it open, but not quite happy with that. No one item is worth a huge amount, but if someone took it all, despite it maybe netting them a hundred pounds of so, for us to buy everything would cost much more than that!

Ed - I had an idea that you might like (why I think that I'm not sure). I was going to get a two steel plates welded together, but with a 4mm cap in between and sealed round 3 edges. Pack it full of 'something' and seal. If someone tries to get through it with gas - BOOM. What'dya think?! I'd obviously put a sign saying that they shouldn't try breaking in as the lock might spontaneously combust...

I thought about putting a heater in and getting a snake...I wouldn't dream of opening ANYTHING if I saw a pic of a snake in it - not a chance...lol

#5 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:01 PM

Jeremy is your man for explosives ;)
if power is available, you need lights and another camera,
well lit CCTV should at least make SOME thieves a little uncomfortable.

but yes i do like the idea of the steel plates, if we weren't bound to laws and such like, forget the sign and let the thieving scrotes find out the hard way :ph34r:

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 11 March 2016 - 11:02 PM.

#6 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

There's a lot to be said for geese if they are opportunists (*), but they sh*t a *lot* (every three minutes while feeding?) and you need to be dogproof. And probably trim their wings. And have secure overnight goose space (foxes?), which won't stop "3-in-the-morning" Angus.

But you get to know the name of your Christmas dinner, and most geese will not make serious attacks - they are like a peacekeeping force :-) .

We kept a flock for years, but stupid people with dogs off the leash sometimes killed geese. We once had 4 killed by a pair of red setters.

Ferdinand

(*) Edit: the burglars, not the geese. Geese are always opportunists, especially if you grow potatoes.

Edited by ferdinand, 12 March 2016 - 07:11 AM.

#7 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Once you've had your van with the sign that says "No tools left in this vehicle overnight" broken into you realise the pointlessness of trying to bluff even the dimmest scrote.

And bear in mind that even the "high security" locks are vulnerable to acid attack if they depend on a key! :ph34r:

The saw mill I worked at was remote-ish, along a quiet country lane with just one cottage a quarter of a mile away. All the power tools (and there were a lot) were kept in a container. After the fifth break-in (and they used to bring most of the yard to a halt until new tools had been bought, so half a day's work lost), despite the fitting of a conventional burglar alarm after the second attack, the mill owner actually listened to me and installed the same wireless alarm system that I'd fitted to my house, the type that phones four numbers in sequence if each isn't responded to. It didn't stop the attacks but the first time it went off the mill owner (who lived seven miles away) got there just in time to block the exit of the thief's van from the site. The facial injuries to one of the perps was attributed to their walking into something.

It probably won't help you Jamie, but the mill was eventually made to look like a concentration camp by raising the perimeter fences all round (originally there had been nothing but a stream separating the site from a neighbouring field) and fitting razor wire to it. There is a sense of injustice in being told that you then have to post warning notices about the razor wire, as if anyone innocent of all nefarious intent is likely to wander into it by accident. All of that was a condition of the mill being able to renew its insurances! :angry:

#8 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:10 AM

View Postjamiehamy, on 11 March 2016 - 09:19 PM, said:

My worry is they come back with cutting equipment - ruin our container and find nothing of real value but trash it anyway.

Horrible feeling.

You have my sympathy.
We had a break in recently, and a significant amount of kit stolen. On a really windy night : therefore noisy night. We slept through the break-in. Despite our two dogs alarm barks (there's a distinct difference in warning bark for different things; - fox- ambulance - someone else's cat - dog - person) I lazily heard the 'intruder' bark but just turned over and went back to sleep. Well it was cold and windy. Eeeeeejit.

My son's the local copper, his other half one of the local CSIs. She's got a nose like Sherlock Holmes and a real eye for detail (but doesn't use a magnifying glass. And remembers everything).

Their reaction was chilling - while at the same time giving us Rolls Royce CSI service.

"Dad, even if you had rung 999 and reported 'robbery in progress' it is highly unlikely we would have come out. Dealing with Friday night scrotes in [... the local area...] means that most of the team will be tied up with [....] and there would have been nobody to help you. We've just had another 7 million taken off our budget: that's on top of the [number forgotten] million we had deducted a few months ago"

So his message is, toughen up, you're going to get less and less support. Think of increased insurance premiums as an alternative way of paying your Community Charge. You'll pay the increased insurance premium (if not happily) sooner than support the police through tax.

It's deeply depressing.

Edited by recoveringacademic, 12 March 2016 - 07:10 AM.
grammar

#9 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Lock with alarm built in?

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=261770639388

Edited by temp, 12 March 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#10 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:26 AM

Oh, and the alarm I referred to above had no audible alarm, so the scrotes were unaware they'd been rumbled. :ph34r:

#11 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:31 AM

The Smart Water spray system is still a powerful tool, the warning signs for which are probably the only effective ones.

http://www.smartwater.com/

#12 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

It probably wasn't local people.

I posted a while ago that our builders had 3 of their vans broken into outside their own houses one night. We had CID at our plot the next day fingerpringing the vans. They recon it was a foreign gang come up from the south, and there was a string of van and site break ins all along the A9.

When we lived down south we had a shed broken into. Nothing was taken, I think they were execting garden tools and lawnmowers and were dissapointeed to find just two motorbikes. When we reported it to the police it got logged as "criminal damage"

#13 Nos

Nos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

Cant you put some warning signs on the container, something warning of Hazardous waste, Asbestos, Electric shock, angry wife ? Nos

#14 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

What about those battery powered PIRs that link to a "barking dog" alarm? Stick that inside the container.

Trouble is round here they'd break into the container to nick the dog..... :lol:

I have a large garden and use those cheap PIR drive alarms. They're excellent but will pick up a big cat, fox, badger so sometimes I'll be jumping up looking out the window or wandering around outside to investigate. Range as advertised though and batteries last forever. The PIR looks cheap and nasty but has a rubber seal between the two haves etc. Mine have been outside for ages with no ill effects. They are a bit conspicuous being white though so I'd recommend spraying to dull it down with few assorted rattle cans.

#15 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:04 PM

http://www.williampo...Alarm_MA101.htm

#16 vijay

vijay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

If you're on a single track/road to your plot and use of a digger, why not dig a nice little ditch at the front with 2 covers, one that you can drive over and one that hides the ditch at night. The scum drive up and front wheels fall into it - hopefully stuck and damage their vehicle too :)

#17 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

Poor little disadvantaged scrotes must not be further disadvantaged by the retaliatory actions of their victims.

#18 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

View Postvijay, on 12 March 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

If you're on a single track/road to your plot and use of a digger, why not dig a nice little ditch at the front with 2 covers, one that you can drive over and one that hides the ditch at night. The scum drive up and front wheels fall into it - hopefully stuck and damage their vehicle too :)
Lol. I was going to suggest a moat :D
although yours is a much more sensible idea

#19 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

View Postjoiner, on 12 March 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

I made one of these myself to stop someone stealing livestock, trouble was the wife tripped it by accident and she couldn't hear anything for 24 hours !!!

#20 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

View Postjoe90, on 12 March 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

I made one of these myself to stop someone stealing livestock, trouble was the wife tripped it by accident and she couldn't hear anything for 24 hours !!!

good job you didn't use a live cartridge :unsure: