ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Good Morning From A Windy Shropshire!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matt1234

matt1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

Hello everyone.
I am just applying for planning permission to self build a house to passive standards. I have been researching/designing this for over a year now. However I have recently found this forum and found it very useful. I need to do as much of the work as possible to save money. I have limited building experience- worked for about 6 months as a labourer for a couple of builders. I know builders and tradesmen, on the whole, do not get the passive principles (including the bloke I used to draw up my plan).

I aim for a passive raft slab, TF with 300mm of insulation (warmcell or frametherm), 50mmservice gap. 3G windows (help!!!!), PV-if any money left. Can not decide what to do about heating.... small woodburner appeals as have at about 4-6 years of fuel that I cleared from the site.But I am aware of the disadvantages and is the 1.5k with flue etc worth it as might not use it very often.

Anyway back to reading JS Harris's blog.......!
Cheers
Matt

#2 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

:) Welcome.

North, south, or central?

#3 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Welcome!
Time for a trip up Caer Caradock then isn't it?

#4 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

Welcome Matt!

Jack

#5 matt1234

matt1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

I am right on the Shropshire/Powys border. Not sure if the right or wrong side - might depend on the result on saturday!
Cordon is much closer to me than Caer Caradock.

#6 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

Hi and werlcome to the forum.

You are in good company with several of us building houses to passuive house standard or close to it.

Best to ask each of your questions as an individual subject in the approporiate sub forum.

Just to give some ideas, we are building a timber framed house, insulated with frametherm, clad ou the outside with wood fibre board and rendered, and with 3G Rationel windows. And there are many building / have built different variations on a similar theme.

Probably the best value for money route is do as we have done, and pay a builder to build the basic frame, and I am now doing most of the rest myself.

See various members blogs to see what we have done / are doing.

Edited by ProDave, 09 March 2016 - 02:57 PM.