ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Barn Conversion Costing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cleo123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hi there!

I am a newbie to eBuild and was just wondering if you kind and knowledgeable folks could give me some advice.

I have found a converted cowshed that is for sale and was looking for some advice on the costings to convert it into a 1 bedroom barn house. The property has running water (toilet) and electricity - it has been used as a teenagers den/ wreck room for the family who owns it. I have added the dimensions of the property (Around 990 Square Foot) BELOW:

: http://www.homestyle...ee-aa0b1b1d841a

The property is stone built and fairly new (not 100 years old!), as far as I know it was a purpose built cattle shed built around 30/40 years ago so its hardly falling apart. It has 3 major wooden structural beams all of which look in good condition. The property is situated about 70/100 yards from the farm it was adjoined with a shared drive.

As I'm sure you can see, I know little about property conversion and the costings involved but just as an estimate what do you think it would cost to renovate the property into a 1 bedroom barn conversion home based on the details given.

Many thanks x

Edited by cleo123, 06 March 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#2 ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum

First thing, does the building have planning permission for residential conversion?

Secondly, as a barn, it may or may not have been built to a decent standard. It may convert easily, but it's also possible the building might be so poor it would be cheaper to knock it down and start again. Without seeing it I doubt anyone could answer that one.

do you have any more details, pictures etc?

Edited by joiner, 06 March 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#3 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

As it's a barn and stone-built there will be quite a few imponderables in there, regardless of its relatively "recent" age (as stone barns go).

You also need to explain what level of energy performance you'd like to achieve with the building's fabric - in other words, what are you going to be comfortable with, both performance and budget 'wise'.

In those terms, there are actually few details given.

As Dave suggests, the "details" need to be pretty detailed and the pictures comprehensive otherwise we're into lengths of string and fingers in the air. ;)

#4 doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

I'd get a few quotes from local builders to see the lay of the land