About Time I Said Hello!
Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:19 PM
I have been browsing for quite some time now and found the site extremely useful...but also thrown up many more questions for me!
My wife and I have a project we hope to start this year, based in Kent. I have a few questions and will post in the relevant threads over the coming months!
Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:03 PM
Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:32 PM
If I can offer you a tip, learn how to use the Google site search functionality - its so much better (I find) than the inbuilt forum search:
- keep a tab open in Chrome
- in the search box, type
- between the quotes, type a specific term from the question you want to ask *
- when you get a list of results, learn how to use the 'Any Time' option - past year is very good because the quality of information on the site has got even better recently. (Alternatively you can select custom range and say type in the last two years)
- when you have your shortlist, use the 'sorted by relevance/sorted by date options' to hone in on what you're looking for
- and here's the most important bit - when you see an article which is getting close to your answer, hold down the Ctrl key before you click on the result, which means you open it in a new tab, and you dont lose your carefully filtered and sorted Google search results - you might end up with a lot of tabs but hey ...
the more obscure terms often work best: "pressure test" "catnic" "fluffy towels" "heater battery" ...
Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:53 PM
Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:20 PM
they say every day is a learning day.
Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:53 PM
Can this be highlighted elsewhere so more of the reading community can reap the benefits of this search technique?