ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Scotland To Tax Derelict And Unused Housing Land

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

View Postjamiehamy, on 16 March 2016 - 10:48 PM, said:

Oh, and this IS the very same SNP who want to put a minimum price on alcohol to discourage binge drinking, but....object to a sugar tax to cut down on the amount of seriously fat kids in school... Whilst I don't think either policy works, at least the SNP could try be consistent...

Which reminds me of a snippet of information that I first obtained when we moved to Scotland in 1992. When I registered at the local GP I was immediately asked to have a full medical, because I was approaching 40 years old. I explained that I had a mil aeromedical every year, but they still insisted I come in and have the medical, which included an ECG, chest X ray, the works. I thought this was a bit OTT, and said so, and the GP replied that we were now living near the town with the highest incidence of diet and drink related disease in Europe and that the life expectancy of the local population was around 10 years lower than the rest of the UK.

I went off and checked, and he was right. Not only was the town pretty poor in terms of overall health, but the whole of Scotland was far worse than the rest of the UK. Diet and drink were the two main causes, hardly surprising at a time when the deep fried Mars bar was still a staple in most chip shops...................

Even then the Scottish NHS was investing heavily in trying to prevent early death, and I have to say the health care system in Scotland seemed exceptionally good compared to where we'd just moved from, Cornwall. The biggest culprits in the diet-related death stakes were fats, sugar and alcohol, so the idea of the SNP being opposed to anything that aims to try and reduce sugar intake is plain daft.

Question time from Dundee a week or so ago was interesting, with John Swinney being shown up as being just a man who tries to bluster his way through inconvenient truths, very much as Alex Salmond does.

FWIW, I voted SNP when we lived in Scotland, as the local SNP candidate, Alasdair Morgan, was the only one with a chance of getting the incompetent Conservative member (Ian Lang) out. The SNP chap did a far better job at the constituency level, too, and would have had my vote again in 2001 had we still been living there then.

Edited by jsharris, 17 March 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#22 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 16 March 2016 - 08:40 PM, said:

Just to make things more interesting the SNP have just announced that they will not be following the rest of the UK in raising the 40% income tax band to £45K. That should make a few people reconsider a move north.

If I have my numbers right the people who earn 40-45k include the likes of senior nurses, experiemced teachers and Junior Doctors.

#23 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

That's the usually quoted collection of public sector employees. The absolute difference in tax is only a few hundred quid so not a big deal in reality - but I think the more pernicious problem is one of Scotland being seen as the high tax region of the UK.

#24 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

http://news.scotland...an-UK-171e.aspx

https://www.gov.uk/g...dology_Note.pdf

#25 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

Anyone watch 'This Week'. An SNP spokesperson was participating in the middle segment of the programme, and towards the end was asked, 10 days to independence had Scotland voted Yes, and you would have a 10% deficit - SNP reply - 'I'm glad you asked me that as it's so littered with inaccuracies and misinformation'....'mismanagement by the leaders of another government'...'we would have the economic powers and levers to grow our economy'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s-week-17032016

34 minutes in if anyone is interested.

And there was me thinking that the deficit was due to the level of public spending, which in relation to Scotland is decided upon by a majoirity SNP government...