ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Online Estate Agents

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

View Postjayroc2k, on 01 March 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Agents do provide value however at 1.5-3% that value is too expensive. I will most likely use online agents and even if I don't sell for the best possible price, the end result is the net proceeds. Something a lot of seller forget.

NET sale proceeds!

400k - 1k selling cost is 399k
405k - agents 2% (plus VAT) is: 395k
with estate agents. It needs to sell for higher than 408k to breakeven.

However, the more expensive the house, the is more the value of an agent 'selling', putting pressure by inventing counter offers, drumming up excitement etc. Also, some buyers feel uncomfortable talking money with an owner
That is verging on FRAUD if they make up counter offers.

I am sure that happened to me when i bought our previous house. I made an offer below the asking price, then throughout the day the agent kept phoning back saying there was another higher offer so I increased my offer.

By the end of the day I had reached the full asking price and could go no higher, so I went straight from work, round to the house to see the vendor without making an appointment. The vendor knew nothing about another buyer or other offers on the table. By the time I got back home a message from the agent was waiting who were very angry that i went to see the vendor without an appointment but saying my offer was accepted.

The whole process stinks.

Edited by ProDave, 01 March 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#22 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

Don't they usually say a 'builder is interested', this gives the impression that it is worth more than the asking price.

#23 swisscheese

swisscheese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

Thanks all for the input.
My inclination is to use an Online agent, as has been pointed out, most serious buyers will be using tools at their disposal and most will certainly user rightmove/zoopla etc.
My 'better half' is certainly more risk averse and sees "security" in a bricks and motar local establishment, despite the selling 'costs' being higher. I'm trying to talk her round.