ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Online Estate Agents

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 swisscheese

swisscheese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

Not sure where to post this...but has anybody had any dealings with online estate agents?

Given the difference in fees between Traditional vs Online. Are online Estate agents worth a punt?

Cheers

I posted here because Sarah Beeney has one - Tupilo or something.

Edited by swisscheese, 29 February 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#2 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Can you go and punch them for being lazy and hopeless. :D

#3 Sulz

Sulz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

Purple Bricks have been mentioned a few times. Someone I know is using them , only listed last week. She was very impressed.

#4 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostSulz, on 29 February 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

Purple Bricks have been mentioned a few times. Someone I know is using them , only listed last week. She was very impressed.
So has she sold it, or had many enquiries yet?

#5 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

The way I see selling a house, or more importantly, buying a house is that you don't have loyalty to a brand of estate agents. Buyers look at property that every agent in the area has.
Selling is a bit different, but as they all have the same 'buyer base' there is no advantage is changing an agent unless they are totally incompetent.
Judging what is incompetent the hard part. Over valuing is very high up my list as incompetent and just ruins it for everyone.
Claiming that they have sever buyers interested in 'your type of property' is another.
A is sending around time wasters (had 9 people view my house a few years back, 8 were not in a position to buy and one was my neighbour, go figure).

I dislike estate agents intensely.

#6 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

Most buyers here just use property pal as the first step. They look online at the pics then if they like what they see then contact the estate agents and take it from there.
I was constantly checking up when mine was advertised to see how many views it had got each day. In the end one of the estate agents friends bought it to rent out.

#7 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 29 February 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

In the end one of the estate agents friends bought it to rent out.
Isn't that called 'insider dealing'.

#8 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

It was called sold to me.

#9 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

We're probably going to use Purple Bricks to sell our old house this summer. I've spoken to two local people who used them and both reckoned the service was like a breath of fresh air compared to high street estate agents.

Given that the majority of house buyers are probably already spending more time looking on line for a house than they are looking in the local papers or estate agents windows it seems to make sense to use an online service.

The main advantage of searching online seems to be that you can be more specific about the type of house and area than estate agents. Having moved house many times in the past with my job, my lasting memory is of estate agents sending me details of houses that weren't of the type we were looking for, weren't in the areas we wanted and weren't in our price range. It used to really annoy me, especially when you could often walk into the same estate agent and find properties that did match what you were looking for but for which they hadn't bothered to send you the details.

Edited by jsharris, 29 February 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#10 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

I got sent details of my house, from an agent that was not mine. Cheeky buggers.

#11 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

View Postjsharris, on 29 February 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

my lasting memory is of estate agents sending me details of houses that weren't of the type we were looking for, weren't in the areas we wanted and weren't in our price range. It used to really annoy me, especially when you could often walk into the same estate agent and find properties that did match what you were looking for but for which they hadn't bothered to send you the details.
That was my recollection as well.

and when you didn't go and view the unsuitable properties, they told me I was a "time waster"

Edited by ProDave, 29 February 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#12 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

They really are @!## aren't they.
But we still use them as we think they get us the highest price.

I still think that everyone that wants to buy a house should multiply their income by 3, then tell the estate agents in person exactly what they are willing to pay for a house.
Would set a sensible price.

#13 Mikey1980

Mikey1980

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

We used purple bricks, cost us £995, they did all the viewings and handled all the price negotiations, and then saw everything through with there legal service. I couldn't fault them on service or updates and they have a call centre that handles chasing up feedback etc. The online portal is good it shows you how many searches you turned up in how many peple have viewed the web page etc. Our house sold in two weeks with them after 6 people viewed.

#14 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Purple Bricks seem OK.

I have had viewings and some negotiations on properties for sale through Purple Bricks.

Three issues I am aware of are that the vendor may not receive such constant advice, and that PB seem good at confirming short notice viewings without having received confirmation from the vendor, and that for low end properties a local EA on 1% may be cheaper.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 01 March 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#15 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

Don't talk to me about fxxxxng estate agents, @!## of the first order in my opinion!

#16 Ashburyselfbuild

Ashburyselfbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

I think with Purple Bricks, the service depends very much on where you live. If they have a local rep then the service is better.
A friend of mine used them and had to do all the viewings himself as his 'local' contact was 80 miles away.
These days most people use Rightmove, Zoopla etc for property searches, so Purple Bricks do give this coverage at a much better price than a high street agent.

#17 billt

billt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

View Postjoe90, on 01 March 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Don't talk to me about fxxxxng estate agents, @!## of the first order in my opinion!

Not as bad as conveyancing solicitors, although they charge more.

#18 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Does it not also depend on your target market / buyer? Our own experience of recently selling was that younger buyers were happy (and able) to search online whereas most older buyers preferred the local property guide.

#19 jayroc2k

jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

Agents do provide value however at 1.5-3% that value is too expensive. I will most likely use online agents and even if I don't sell for the best possible price, the end result is the net proceeds. Something a lot of seller forget.

NET sale proceeds!

400k - 1k selling cost is 399k
405k - agents 2% (plus VAT) is: 395k
with estate agents. It needs to sell for higher than 408k to breakeven.

However, the more expensive the house, the is more the value of an agent 'selling', putting pressure by inventing counter offers, drumming up excitement etc. Also, some buyers feel uncomfortable talking money with an owner

#20 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

That is not adding value.
That is asset inflation.
Not the same thing at all.