ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Hello From A Self Build Returnee!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jeffmcw

jeffmcw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hi everyone

I used to be a general handyperson with some practical skills enough to build a basic building but it has been over 30 years since I last ventured (a garage)...

Today EU or not EU has apparently imposed a number of rules and limitations - Gas plumbing (understandably), Electrics (jury still out for me as it is a simple process actually) and a few others ONLY to be installed by qualified tradespeople.

Now I am semi retired and thinking of moving but before I do I have secured planning permission to convert my loft into an bedroom with an en-suite plus a large dormer (and wee balcony!) and possibly the garage (unused apart from my workshop at the back) into a sort of granny annexe - objective to maximise return in order to have some money stored away for retirement.

Joining this e-group to catch up on tips and advice. Will not fall into newbie mistakes such as asking a question WITHOUT searching the forums first!!!

All the best

Jeff

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Some of the rules on what you can and cannot do vary depending on which part of the UK you are in, so your approximate location would help.

It might be worth speaking to estate agents before you start, to make sure your improvements are not going to exceed the ceiling price for your area and not be worthwhile.

Edited by joiner, 22 February 2016 - 10:30 PM.
Someone's using a smartphone!!