ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Whacker Or Plate Compactor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

Hi there, I've got so much general ground works to do that I'm considering buying one.
Has anyone got any experience of the cheaper units sold in the likes of Machine Mart or eBay?
Or should I bright the bullet and go for something like the Belle minipac unit?
I've been holding out for a second hand one locally but nothing has come up.

#2 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hire, only a professional would buy one, get plenty ready at once and make best use of it.

#3 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

I got one from ebay, a little one with a Honda engine. Paid £125 for it and SWMBO collected if from Glasgow on one of her trips down south.

I've already hired it out 3 times and recvovered half the purchase price, shich is why I probably won't sell it when I am finished as it has "income potential"

You will find having your own, it will get used more and you don't have to save jobs up to make it worthwhile for a hire, and no inconvenience of collecting or a time limit to get it back by.

Edited by ProDave, 21 February 2016 - 07:07 PM.

#4 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

DON'T buy the Evolution electric one if you've lots to do outside is my thought. It's OK and worked fine for my bathroom but it's got only about half the "whack" aka compaction force of the smallest petrol ones.

#5 bassanclan

bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

Buy a used one.
Small and petrol would be my reccomendation. The larger, heavier ones with bigger engines do whack a larger area faster, but are more cumbersome.

Well worth it if doing any amount of whacking.

#6 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

Buy one you can lift on your own. Impossible with the larger ones.

#7 jntabbycat

jntabbycat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:18 AM

+1 with prodave. Ours was a cheap one from ebay. So long as the engine is good you should be ok. Ours has a Honda engine and its never had any problems.

#8 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

Some of those small Honda engines are pretty tough. I have one in a rotary mower that's nearly 20 years old and never been serviced. The deck has rusted through but the motor still starts and runs well.