ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Site Signage

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

Where do people tend to get their site signs from for H&S purposes ..??

Seton seem to do a decent range but not sure what others have used over and above the standard ones you see on most sites that appear to be a little pricey !

Cheers

#2 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

Ebay for us. Lots of varients available from different sellers

e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.u...GsAAOxywCJRam--

Edited by Alphonsox, 18 February 2016 - 09:19 PM.

#3 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 18 February 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Ebay for us. Lots of varients available from different sellers

e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.u...GsAAOxywCJRam--

Never thought of eBay !!! Thanks

#4 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

Right, I'm jumping in here because,,,,, why not.
where do i actually stand with all this H&s and signage rubbish? I'm not employing anyone, its just me and volunteers (Faye who is far too cautious to hurt herself and the mother)
iv ignored it until now and i am quite happy to carry on but am i just asking for trouble?
should i start buying fencing and signs or just continue being "blissfully ignorant"?

any thoughts welcome
Ed

#5 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

Best cover your bahooky, even if only half hearted. At the very least, you probably want a 'Deep Water' sign, since rightly or wrongly, someone could go in for....a swim or whatever...and drown. We got a load of signs on ebay and have them up. No Entry, CCTV, Site Rules, Hard hats, no Children and First Aid. No-one can say they weren't warned.

#6 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostPeterW, on 18 February 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

Where do people tend to get their site signs from for H&S purposes ..??

I get soooooo tempted when I see site signage lying around obviously discarded, or flapping loose on a defunct bit of HERAS.

@ ConstructionChannel; Ed: you (we, all of us) have a duty of care to everyone else.

'... Bliss[ful]...' is getting an excellent job done very efficiently and well, at a lower cost than budgeted for. And that means a sensible, pragmatic approach to H+S.
Ignore the stupid sh!t talked about H+S - the dancing on a pin head, the crazy war stories and bureaucratic excess - and just follow common good practice. It's not hard, and it needn't be expensive

#7 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

I got all mine from ebay, too. Just a couple for either side of the entrance detailing the PPE needed and some "keep out - building sites are dangerous" ones scattered around the fencing to warn kids, Don't forget the one pointing out the location of the first air kit/point or the one warning that the site water may not be drinkable).

I got the ones already stuck to either plastic sheet for the small ones or coroplast for the larger ones. It's probably cheaper to buy some coroplast and just stick the vinyl stickers on yourself. Mine were cable tied to the fencing and I sold them all after the build to a local self-builder who needed some.

Edited by jsharris, 19 February 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#8 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

All site signage is about is ticking the box. You have displayed that your site is in fact a building site so is a dangerous place esp for kids, left a contact number in case something happens and your not onsite, the likes of a first aid kit position and all the usual legal jargon. The likes on making contractors wear hard hats all the time is up to you. If there is nothing above you only clouds and birds i never wore mine but once the house was scaffolded and with the risk of materials falling off it then its time to wear one. Steel toe capped boots are a must.
If somebody wants in the signage won't stop them but you have warned them so are covered.

#9 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

Do we have use "official" signage?
or could i just print some off and laminate it?

#10 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 19 February 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

That looks the way to me.

Colour laser if possible.

You could probably get a stonking colour laser printer off Ebay for the price of a few signs. I did.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 19 February 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#11 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

It more what it says rather than where it came from. A bit of work on the computer copying a few signs, printed off and laminated up would do the job.

#12 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

Having sold all my signs when we took the Heras fencing down, I then realised (after the incident where a Council snooper climbed over the orange net safety barrier around what will be the garden area, but has pallets of stone etc stacked on it) that I still needed warning signs. I found a web site where I could download free warning signs in high resolution colour and printed them off on the colour laser, then laminated them.

They lasted less than three months before starting to fade and are now completely unreadable after 6 months.........................

It seems that laser printer ink just isn't really up to exposure to sunlight for long periods. The odd thing is that I remember doing this years ago with an ink jet printer and the sign didn't fade at all for years. Also, the laser printed laminated sign taped to the inside of a front window, giving emergency contact numbers, hasn't faded either, despite being in full sun much of the day. My guess is that the laser ink fades from a wavelength that doesn't pass through glass easily. but does pass through the plastic laminating film.

Edited by jsharris, 19 February 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#13 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

well that was easy :)
http://www.freesigna...otice_signs.php
is there anything stopping me putting up ones that are not true. e.g beware bull?

#14 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

POPULAR

View PostConstructionChannel, on 19 February 2016 - 05:37 PM, said:

is there anything stopping me putting up ones that are not true. e.g beware bull?

If you do that then you will need one of these as well

Attached Files

Edited by Alphonsox, 19 February 2016 - 05:56 PM.

#15 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Iv just ordered some blue net fencing with pins. And a 50m roll of sew on reflective tape to weave through the top and bottom of said fencing. Plan is to fill the remaining space with amusingly ordered signage. It'll be about 15 m long :D

#16 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 19 February 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Iv just ordered some blue net fencing with pins. And a 50m roll of sew on reflective tape to weave through the top and bottom of said fencing. Plan is to fill the remaining space with amusingly ordered signage. It'll be about 15 m long :D
Do they do the "blue net fencing" in green, my site can't be seen from the road, so I don't want to have fencing that stands out as this may attract unwanted visitors. At three acres I have no intention of fencing that lot, I'll limit the fence and the signs to the actual build plot.

#17 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...BAZNQgNZUIlVqWg
yup :)

also got this to weave through the top and bottom row of holes, Should look right nice when its done :D :D
http://www.ebay.co.u...mp9YE2Wlq9gM10w

Now just to choose some appropriate signage, are there MANDATORY ones? or does it all depend on the site?

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 19 February 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#18 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

OMG they do the tape in blue as well :o

http://www.ebay.co.u...sd=151834174096

#19 PeterStarck

PeterStarck

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationEast Kent

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

I'm building in my garden. No fencing and only put signs up if really necessary for safety, as in 8' deep hole full of water.

Attached File  ESC00015.JPG   36.79K   5 downloads

#20 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

And so it begins. And this Is at work :D

Attached Files