ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

24 Hr Rotating Timelapse Mount.... Who's A Clever Boy

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

Also don't worry guys. The video will still get the same disclaimer that the rest get. I'm sure that will cover me in any legal situation :D

#42 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

View Postjoiner, on 18 March 2016 - 06:59 AM, said:

You realise that photograph shows you breaking every EU Regulation in the book? :rolleyes:
Does that mean if we pull out of the EU we will not have any H&S laws to adhere to.
Got to be worth it if only to get rid of idiots on building sites.

Now how is the electric fence booster doing?

#43 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

It's not at the moment. The mother seems to think it is better used to keep the chickens in.

Also someone has thrown the old 110 tranny box in a skip at some point. so I'm going to have to carefully try to dismantle my working box to test this all out,

I am keeping my eye out for other bits though

Edit: thanks Joiner :)

Edited by ConstructionChannel, 18 March 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#44 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 18 March 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

It's not at the moment. The mother seems to think it is better used to keep the chickens in.

Also someone has thrown the old 110 tranny box in a skip at some point. so I'm going to have to carefully try to dismantle my working box to test this all out,

I am keeping my eye out for other bits though

Edit: thanks Joiner :)

I've got some plans for a fencer that uses the coil out of a car - seems pretty neat, but when I mentioned making it the H&S police got all uppity because apparently they have to cut out at a certain voltage !

Now where's that metal container I wanted to "secure".. B)

#45 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Irony is so easy to lose. :(

#46 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

View PostPeterW, on 18 March 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

when I mentioned making it the H&S police

issue no 1 :D

#47 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

View Postjoiner, on 18 March 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

Irony is so easy to lose.
Not always

#48 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

That's straightforward self-deprecation, not irony.

Piss-taking, as Bill Bryson recognised, is a peculiarly British characteristic that feeds into our peculiarly British sense of humour.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a foreign equivalent of the quintessentially British Flanders & Swann. ;)

#49 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

Taking the piss and sarcasm is what I love about us. We have quite a few foreigners in work and they just don't get either which obviously means you just do it more and more until they actually get angry.

#50 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostPeterW, on 18 March 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

I've got some plans for a fencer that uses the coil out of a car - seems pretty neat, but when I mentioned making it the H&S police got all uppity because apparently they have to cut out at a certain voltage !

Now where's that metal container I wanted to "secure".. B)

At our last house we had a problem after we laid a new gravel drive. The big ginger tom cat from next door decided our drive, specifically the area next to the drivers door of my car, was an ideal toilet. I proved it was him by setting up an old video camera on a PIR switch to record his activities, which also caught him peeing against the wheel of my car at around 4am to 5 am each day. The latter activity was something I'd never seen a cat do before, as he stretched up, so his front paws were at the top of the wheel, then pee'd . He did this to several wheels, so my guess is it was scent marking (very smelly, too).

My first attempt to stop him doing this was to put the garden sprinkler in the drive, connected up to an old washing machine solenoid valve and the outside tap, with the solenoid valve powered from the PIR light switch. This worked, but as soon as I took the sprinkler away the cat would come straight back and start being bloody nuisance again.

Next someone at work suggested I get some empty clear plastic bottles, fill them with water and put them on the drive, as apparently cats don't like to see their own reflections. I can say with certainty this doesn't work, as the tom cat sprayed all the bottles as well as the car wheels.

Finally I lost patience and made up a box with an old motorcycle ignition coil, a pulse circuit that drove a relay about once a second and a big 12V power supply. I connected the coil HT lead to some thin, bare copper, wire and tied this to bits of old plastic conduit stuck in the ground along the gap under the hedge where he used to come through, so the wire was around 6" off the ground.

This was a spectacular success. The first night I set the thing up we were both woken up at around 4am by a very loud howl. SWMBO was not amused by me punching the air and yelling "YES!!!". I left the fence running for around a week, then turned it off and just left the wire, but even when I eventually took the wire down the cat was never again seen in our garden. It wasn't permanently harmed, as our neighbours reported that it seemed fine, just as antisocial to them as it had always been.

So, I can say that the 20,000 to 30,000V from an open circuit ignition coil might give a bit of a sting, but isn't that likely to cause harm, as the current is heavily limited by the high impedance of the coil.

Edited by jsharris, 19 March 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#51 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

POPULAR

Attached File  cat.png   211.92K   1 downloads

#52 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:46 AM

well that was a complete waste of time, If you want to see a sky go from grey to black twice i will upload the footage, otherwise i will look into this again in the summer :(

#53 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

Couldn't you have turned the yard lights on? :rolleyes:

(I'll get me coat.)

#54 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

the neighbour left his porch light on.....that didn't help
Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 09.33.52.png   6.16K   6 downloads

and a fairly accurate representation of the rest of it :(
Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 09.34.26.png   322.18K   7 downloads

#55 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

Looks like Cornwall, especially the night shot.

#56 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

pretty similar, annoyingly its a really nice day today :(

next plan is to work out a way to get the pictures remotely, or at least from the ground???? There must be some drone stuff i could use for this.??

#57 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

Easy enough to rig up something simple, like a Raspberry Pi, to trigger a photo, download it from the camera and then transmit it by wifi to be stored. I think there are some amateur astronomers who have rigged up similar remote systems, probably worth looking at what they've been doing.

The newer GoPro has wifi and may well be able to do this on it's own. I haven't looked recently, but have read a couple of reviews of newer action cams that suggest this sort of thing is possible using the wifi link. I have a feeling that some ordinary point and shoot cameras with wifi can do this, too. My Panasonic has wifi (not that I use it) and if I get time I'll have a dig through the manual and see if it can do time lapse and wifi together.

#58 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

My timelaspe was done with a RPi and a Tesco cheapest webcam.

#59 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

My goPro is a 3+ black edition, and does have Wifi But the file transfer rate is just so slow It would never keep up with what i need :(
If we average a half decent photo at 3mb I need it to move that in 9s otherwise it will eventually run out of memory.

I was wondering if something like this
http://www.ebay.co.u...jMAAOSwrklVSDbK
connected too the transmitter and receiver from the original drone can get me a video to a screen on the ground, but how would i go about recording it? and also that is AV not pics? :unsure:

I also considered something like this, but i would need to majorly redo my swivel connection to handle that kind of connections

http://www.ebay.co.u...HQAAOSwI-BWHh-a

any thoughts?

#60 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

Does the GoPro have file compression?