ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Home Security System Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

View Postjamiehamy, on 30 March 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

it would have been helpful to know when it happened, what type of vehicle and how many people. Also, if it was the same people.

.... and what would you do with that info, or is it just for your interest?

#42 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 30 March 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Would the scotes really bother with all that, wouldn't they just go somewhere else, unless you have something they really want .

Also what do you want a CCTV for? All you get is a picture of the scotes robbing your house, it is unlikely to keep them out

They may go somewhere else, it depends if all the local houses have alarm boxes on or not. I'm not convinced alarms are worth the bother, from what I've seen of them being ignored when they go off.

CCTV is, I think, worthwhile. It's probably a better deterrent than an alarm, as many scrotes will have realised by now that CCTV is often recorded remotely, so they can't get at the recorder and remove it after they've broken in. In our case, the CCTV is primarily to dissuade the local youth from using our drive as a skateboard park when I'm not there. Despite warnings from me in the past, four of them continued to skate on our drive, making scrape marks on it, until I caught up with them in the village, told them once again to stop doing it, got a flat denial they had done it, then a sheepish admission and promise not to do it again after I showed them the video, that clearly identified all four of them.

#43 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

Just resurrecting this. I'm looking at having 2 cameras on my 'east wing' of the house. I presume I'll be needing two cable runs for them?

What sort of cameras? As mentioned above I used network cameras that support POE cameras so I only needed to run one network cable to each.

The network cable I used was Ubiquiti TOUGHCable which is rated for outdoor use. This has a braid screed which I earthed at the switch end. I figured that might help protect the cameras against a nearby lightning strike (although it's not going to protect against a direct hit). Ubiquiti also do screened connectors for this cable with and without with a tail for earthing.

The switch I used was the TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE which has POE built in so no need for separate POE injectors or loads of mains adaptors. That switch has 8 ports but they might do a smaller one that also supports POE.

#44 jamiehamy

jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 30 March 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

.... and what would you do with that info, or is it just for your interest?

There is a lot I'd do with that info.

#45 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:46 PM

View Postjamiehamy, on 30 March 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

There is a lot I'd do with that info.

FWIW, a few years ago, when we were having problems with anti-social behaviour where we still live at the moment (vandalism, setting fire to petrol poured on the road, smashing up street furniture etc), the local community police officer did say that although they didn't have the manpower to deal with this, they would be very interested in any video or photographic evidence. One chap in the village managed to witness the youngsters kicking a "keep left" illuminated bollard until they had smashed it and took some video (with audio) and some good stills, gave them to the police and five arrests were made, with two being charged and convicted and three being given a caution.

I was surprised the police acted on it, TBH, and equally surprised that the two cases that went to court ended up with convictions, albeit with community service orders as a sentence. It was encouraging, and some of us who'd been affected by the behaviour of this "gang" took to carrying cameras around in case we saw anything.

The problem was solved when the old farm house up the road, which had been rented by a charity that was hoping to re-integrate "problem children" with society, closed it's doors after a number of similar arrests. Much as I have sympathy with the ideals of some of these well-meaning people that set up charities like this, I can't help thinking that some of them need to temper their desire to help with a certain amount of discipline. When the place closed the owners called the police in again, as there was clear evidence there had been a cannabis farm operating up there.....................

Edited by jsharris, 30 March 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#46 oranjeboom

oranjeboom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:36 AM

View Posttemp, on 30 March 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

What sort of cameras? As mentioned above I used network cameras that support POE cameras so I only needed to run one network cable to each.

The network cable I used was Ubiquiti TOUGHCable which is rated for outdoor use. This has a braid screed which I earthed at the switch end. I figured that might help protect the cameras against a nearby lightning strike (although it's not going to protect against a direct hit). Ubiquiti also do screened connectors for this cable with and without with a tail for earthing.

The switch I used was the TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE which has POE built in so no need for separate POE injectors or loads of mains adaptors. That switch has 8 ports but they might do a smaller one that also supports POE.

Thanks for the info on the cable. Regarding the camera's I liked the sound of Billt's (Hikvision DS-2CD2232-I5 etc). Images look very good.

I've got a motion sensor set up on the front drive now that goes 'ding dong' every time someone (usually cat/squirrel or fox) walks past. Setting up a camera now would save me getting up out of the static caravan to investigate to see if it's a scrote or not.

Edited by joiner, 06 April 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#47 oranjeboom

oranjeboom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

Looks like I'll be getting cameras installed sooner than later. Found evidence that some scrote had forced his(or her!!) way through hedge and undid the barbed wire (which was mainly a deterrent than a preventative). Nothing taken from the site AFAIK, but the main big tools, scaffolding and PC are still here. Maybe doing a scout of course. Of course it happened when both cars weren't on driveway and with the static at the back, not sufficient deterrent. Had hoped to delay investment in CCTV once I see what's left of the build budget, but the sooner the better. More pi55ed off that someone had a goof around really. In the meantime, beefed up the barbed wire and hedge and unfortunately I have been very careless today with the old roof battens which have been amassed close to the hedge. Hopefully they are aware that trespassing a building site can be a dangerous occupation...

CCTV won't be an automatic solution, but just a further deterrent and if I get them on camera, hopefully the police/parents will take action.

#48 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

POPULAR

My temporary camera set up (indoor CCTV and recorder looking out of a bedroom window) captured a lady from the council climbing over the safety fence, with no PPE at all, and wandering across the site looking into the windows of the house. The following day I had a call from the council telling me that I'd been defrauding them by not declaring the house as being habitable and so avoiding paying council tax. I asked why they thought it was habitable, when it didn't have a water supply, and the council openly admitted that a woman snooper had seen an office desk through one window (the room we use as a site office, for doing the paperwork, VAT, etc). It was only then that I checked the CCTV and put in a formal complaint to the council that a member of their staff had trespassed into a restricted area, with no authority and in breach of the HSE regs. What's more, the woman concerned had exceeded her presumed right of access under common law, by climbing over the fence, and from that point on I was withdrawing common law right of access from all members of council staff, they contractors or sub-contractors, until further notice.

The CCTV camera is now an outdoor one that is more obvious, so will better act to dissuade the council from breaking the law in future, I hope.

#49 oranjeboom

oranjeboom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

Similar BS attitude that I had from council about my Council tax situation. just because I had a 'site office' and used some rooms as storage for our posessions, it was regarded as habitable, even though there was no heating, kitchen and was pretty much gutted. But yeah, I didn't get some over zealous council worker climbing over/thru barbed wire to ascertain my tax status!! Perhaps yours was on commission, certainly very determined down your way!!!

#50 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:50 AM

The interesting thing was the way they backed off when I put in the complaint about unauthorised access by a member of their staff who didn't seem to be using any PPE. I included the comment from the person in the council tax office saying that they were "authorised to enter" and that the person "was wearing PPE", together with images that showed the person climbing over the fence and not wearing any PPE.

I've not heard a peep from them since, but I do have signs on the gate posts barring council members of staff of their contractors or sub-contractors from entering. The law allows this, as the right of access to walk up your path or drive to the house is a "presumed right of access" that can be withdrawn by the landowner.

As far as council tax goes then the property becomes eligible when it passes the test for a "rateable hereditament" in the 1969 rate act, and associated case law. Having no potable water supply definitely renders the house ineligible for council tax, as do a few other things that render it officially uninhabitable. Council tax can be charged on unfinished properties that don't have a completion certificate, though, provided the council are satisfied that they can show that it meets the definition of being a rateable hereditament.

#51 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

If I drilled a hole and got my own water, but never had it certified as drinkable, and I had my existing supply officially disconnected, could I stop paying community charge?

Edited by SteamyTea, 14 April 2016 - 07:20 AM.

#52 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostSteamyTea, on 14 April 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

If I drilled a hole and got my own water, but never had it certified as drinkable, and I had my existing supply officially disconnected, could I stop paying community charge?

It's an interesting point, but I think that the bottom line would be proving that you didn't have a potable water supply. At the time of this incident, we didn't, as I was still doing battle with the borehole, trying to get it to work. I have a week or so more before the house becomes eligible for Council Tax, as the lady came to sample the water the day before yesterday, so I should have the chit needed to show that it's OK soon. I need this to get the completion certificate, apparently.

Even then I think that it can take a few weeks for the VOA to get around to officially valuing the property for the Council Tax band assessment, and there may be an appeal on that if I feel that they've not adequately taken into account the difference between the internal and external footprint, because of the thick walls. All told I doubt we'll be paying Council Tax until some time in the summer.

#53 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Shall have to have a word with someone in the council, and the person I know who has a drilling company.
I paid my taxes yesterday :angry: