ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

RHI Scheme Is In Trouble In Northern Ireland

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationNewry, Co. Down

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Had a tail of 2 salesmen at the show. One told me it was a disaster that all bets were off.

Another told me the the RHI was gone but I still needed to use an MCS installer or I would void the warrenty.

Can't find the other thread but dimplex confirmed they manufacture the new A class unit but their old ashp was a rebadged Panasonic.

#62 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

What was the show like dee. Lots of very angry Renewables companies I suspect.
Why would you pay extra to get MCs registered if the rhi scheme is over.

#63 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

Live from Stormont on the BBC parliament channel just now. TV doesn't get more exciting !

#64 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Motion to close the scheme passed.

#65 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Wow that was edge of the seat stuff. Motion passed scheme closed then I take it.

#66 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:43 PM

Correct - I'm still trying to catch my breath.

#67 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

If the target is 10% Renewables by 2020 and we are only at 6% how have they ran out of money already. Think somebody missed the day in school when basic maths was being taught.
Now that all the incentives have been withdrew how do they propose to get the extra 4% needed to hit the targets. The scheme was set up to hit the target as whatever monies where spent to promote Renewables was going to be smaller than any fine they got hit with for not hitting them.

#68 crozier84

crozier84

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

Declan, does this include Rocs for solar Pv or is this still ok?

I've had my ground floor timber frame walls put up today and haven't had a chance to catch up on all this.

#69 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

No PV is different. Rhi is about generating heat using ashp gshp or biomass.
Big day today then for you. Now the fun begins.

Edited by declan52, 15 February 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#70 crozier84

crozier84

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Declan, it's all go now!

So I'll crack on with my order for the solar pv

#71 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

Need it all done and dusted before end of October as the rate reduces again.

#72 Cs111

Cs111

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

Watched stormont live myself earlier, def thought the no's outweighed the ayes until the final vote
There will surely have to be some urgent information given to the public as to what the future holds for the scheme. If they are now saying its suspended we need to know how long for, will it open again in the future ? A lot of people left in the dark , companies left with orders buyers will no longer want ( sell off at cost ) ??
Maybe prices will fall now that the grants have stopped, though doubt that
Still £3.5k and 7 years payback is a big hit for missing out on a gshp install

#73 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:12 AM

Show was pretty good same bunch of companies. Titanic was a better location. It was endless and got a bit samey towards the end.

At least there were a few things w3 didn't need to look at. PV guys were pulling prices out of the air. And the heating companies were well pissed off. One lad just said just get oil in and plan to switch to ashp in 5 years. He reckons they won't sell any heat pumps this year.

#74 Cs111

Cs111

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

It will be interesting to see this whole thing pans out now. Everyone involved will want some clarification as to what theirs plans are with the scheme. Will they bring it back sometime in the upcoming years? Is that it closed for good
They will need to act quickly so people know where they stand. One guy was telling me he had his collectors already buried
The difference between the cost of the heat pumps and everything involved and a 'simple' oil system buys a hell of a lot of kerosene
Payback must now increase from an estimated 4-5 years to double that
If I just had a crystal ball on oil prices my mind would be made up once and for all

#75 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hopefully once they do a bit of investigating they will figure out who is heating the empty buildings and figure out a different method of running a similar scheme. More checks need put in place and maybe the payback period extended so its not a money making venture.
For you in your situation oil is the winner in the short term as long as prices stays low. Long term I would say gshp.
What method are you going to use to boost the water temp above 40 degrees to use in showers and baths if you go for a gshp.

#76 kev106

kev106

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

I think they'll re open the scheme for domestic consumers. It wasn't that side that incurred the overspend. They might re open it to non domestic as well but with a a more robust payment strategy that doesn't encourage misuse. After all, where there is a loophole to exploit, human nature will use it.

#77 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

it was funny i was reading story in the Belfast Telegraph earlier and the headline was Minister should consider his position bla bla bla. Story was about the vote going through and the scheme being scrapped then the link below was Minister announces scheme to stay open (story was 4 days old) Minister said he had listened to the outcry and would extend them scheme for 2 weeks, then he went and closed it.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

The scheme was introduced for non domestic first. Could they not have just scrapped the non-domestic part if thats were the problem was.

There was one company that currently had 125K of orders on the books and they were going to loose them all due to the changes.

I can see a wee fire sale of Heat pumps over the next few months.

#78 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

Think the likes of Wilson's auction houses will have a few as I am sure alot of companies will fold over this.
Problems might be in a few years if anything goes wrong with your installation who do you call if your original company is gone.

#79 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled over the next few months.

i wasn't going to go with an MCS install for my ASHP so it doesn't really affect me but i could have been swayed to a pellet boiler over it.

looking at an oil install its realistically going to cost 3.5k so it wouldn't be much cheaper than a decent DIY ASHP install. Hopefully the ASHP would be cheaper to run in the long term.

#80 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

I will bank some of my rhi money when I finally get it and put it towards an ashp. Let the heat pump keep the thermal store at around 40 degrees and only use the stove when I need to boost it for showers etc or by then maybe use just the immersion. Looking at slightly over a tonne of pellets to provide heat and dhw for me so not alot each year, around £275-£300 a year. Light my wbs maybe once/ twice a week if its really cold, lit today as its miserable out there. Still have enough wood for the next few years for it.Not sure if the closing of rhi will effect the price of pellets as demand will inevitably decrease.
If you go ashp how do you intend to boost the water temp.