ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

RHI Scheme Is In Trouble In Northern Ireland

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

Don't know how it will work. Think we will have to wait till they release the full statement saying what and when it's happening.

#22 Cs111

Cs111

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

Fingers crossed they will announce a date about 6 months from now for all paperwork to be in or I could be back to oil from the planned gshp

Edited by Cs111, 07 February 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#23 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationNewry, Co. Down

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

I had a read and it seems PV isn't under RHI but it's a bad sign for the whole industry

#24 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

Think there will be alot of very angry people at the self build show next week.

#25 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationNewry, Co. Down

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

I think there will be lots of bluffing at the show. Doubt they will have all the handouts updated at this stage

#26 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Dee are you insinuating a salesman might strecth the truth just a bit to get a sale. Tut tut.

#27 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostDeeJunFan, on 07 February 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

I had a read and it seems PV isn't under RHI but it's a bad sign for the whole industry

No, assuming NI the same as over here, PV comes under feed in tariff (heating comes under renewable heat incentive).

#28 Cs111

Cs111

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 07 February 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

Think there will be alot of very angry people at the self build show next week.
Was thinking the same ! Like to go down now myself to see what they have to say
Bound to be some more concrete news this week I'm sure

#29 Cs111

Cs111

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Heard today that it will ending in the next 7-14 days , no notice for anyone
I know of quite a few who have pipes in for geothermal or have bought the heat pump itself now to be told they have to stump up the grant and forget about the 7 year payback
More jobs to be lost
Question id like to ask is, didn't they see this coming and they should have been 10
Times better prepared to give people a cut off date to get systems installed even if that would have resulted in a rush to fit systems
A lot of v angry people out there today
I was a few weeks away from digging for gshp

#30 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

Who did you hear this from.

#31 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

Geez we toyed with the idea of pellets but just didn't have the spare cash up front. I am so glad this isn't another headache I would be contending with.
I can't imagine they could pull it that quick, it wouldn't leave much confidence in the whole economic situation if things are that dire for them. But who knows!?

#32 kev106

kev106

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

There's been a large scale abuse of the scheme. That's the only reason I can think of as to why it's being pulled so sharply

#33 Cs111

Cs111

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 09 February 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

Who did you hear this from.
Deti themselves, apparently all the plumbers in the north are talking about it
There was supposed to be a meeting in storming today about the exact closure date but there is no money left and they didn't want to set a date as they would have been swamped with applications

#34 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

They better sort through all the applications as mine has been in the system from early October.

#35 Cs111

Cs111

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:00 PM

As long as all your paperwork was in your ok they told me.

#36 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

The trouble is the NI scheme was open to abuse from the way it was setup

#37 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

How do you figure that out. The whole paying sweeteners to get people to invest in Renewables is flawed from the get go. If you build a well insulated house and put an ashp gshp or biomass in it then you receive less money so in a way you are penalised for being energy efficient. The only people who make money are the guys who live in a poorly built house as its based on your heat demand you will use more heat so get paid more.
I know there are loads of companies who install biomass stoves for free and they claim the payments and this is a piss take in my view. Same thing happened with the free PV. There has to be the same type of companies working in the rest of the UK not just NI.

#38 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

When we were considering it we were told not to disclose all the info for epc so we could get maximum payment. That was the plumbing merchants recommendation- obvious abuse of the system.

#39 kev106

kev106

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

When I said "large scale abuse" I meant people heating empty commercial buildings just for the payments.

#40 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

View Postdeclan52, on 09 February 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

How do you figure that out. The whole paying sweeteners to get people to invest in Renewables is flawed from the get go. If you build a well insulated house and put an ashp gshp or biomass in it then you receive less money so in a way you are penalised for being energy efficient. The only people who make money are the guys who live in a poorly built house as its based on your heat demand you will use more heat so get paid more.
I know there are loads of companies who install biomass stoves for free and they claim the payments and this is a piss take in my view. Same thing happened with the free PV. There has to be the same type of companies working in the rest of the UK not just NI.

The issue with the NI scheme is it did nt have any tiering mechanism - let's take biomass - it pays 6.4p/kWh. Given pellet costs are circa 4p/kWh and wood chip and logs substantially less, it incentivises being wasteful with heat at best, and fraudulent at worst. Whilst it is not perfect , the scheme in the UK pays a higher tariff only for roughly normal operating hours of a boiler - beyond this it pays a level less than the cost of fuel, thereby avoiding the above.

The issue with not "paying sweeteners" on renewables is that without them, people would simply stick to fossil fuels. The only other way would be to increase taxes on fossil fuels to compensate for the environmental impact they have and encourage the uptake of energy efficiency measures/renewables.

Edited by Trw144, 09 February 2016 - 07:57 PM.