ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Light Fittings - Suppliers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Any recommendations for any good value online suppliers of light fittings, floor lamps etc?

#2 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Mine was a mixture of bhs lighting, next lighting and IKEA. All beside each other at the Hollywood exchange in Belfast. Went to look at moy lighting but they where near double the price for the same lights in those shops.

#3 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

We've been recommended BHS as well. Not somewhere I would have ever thought to try, but their online range looks pretty good.
(There's a sale on at the moment too)

Edited by Alphonsox, 03 February 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#4 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Funny it was a BHS email in my inbox today that prompted my post. They have a good range, and 2 year guarantee, but didn't know what they were like pricewise.

We got all our stuff in our current house in Pound lighting Magherafelt, but we will need to trim the budget a bit

#5 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

They have a pretty good display in there shop at Hollywood exchange. Price wise they where reasonable starting around £50 up to £200 for some real funky twisted metal looking styles. We had lights picked out from looking online but when we seen them in the flesh there weren't as nice but there is plenty of other nice ones on display. IKEA have some nice stuff to as well as next.
Most proper lighting shops take the piss price wise.

Edited by declan52, 03 February 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#6 crozier84

crozier84

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

Guys, would you recommend getting a full lighting design marked up on a drawing or what is the best way to go about?

#7 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:05 AM

I just went round each room and me and the wife talked/argued over what type of light we wanted/ could afford and where they would go.
Have all spots in the sunroom, kitchen, hallways and bathrooms. It was just a case of how many and what sort of pattern on the ceiling we wanted. Dining room has a 3 pendant light over the table. Kids bedrooms have a mixture of a pendant and 4 spots in each. Rest of the house has ceiling roses where we have just added a lamp shade to them.
Kitchen was the hardest as we had to draw out the plan on the floor and then figured out with the sparks help where the spots would go so the whole area would be well lit up.
Bulb colour is another thing to consider. Most of my led spots are warm white so give off a yellow light. In the kitchen though I used cool white for a more white white if that makes sense.
Best thing we done was put a light switch beside where our bed is so you don't need to get out of it to turn the light off.

#8 Woolies2912

Woolies2912

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

Would not recommend getting a full lighting design - its overly expensive and they have bizarre ideas!

When we needed fittings we shopped around a lot - Ikea had some good things at a decent price (http://www.ikea.com/...lighting/18750/), John Lewis had a couple of shades my wife liked, but we got a lot of stuff online - the pendants in our kitchen and pretty much all the bulbs in the house came from BLT because it was just so much easier (http://www.bltdirect.com/)

#9 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostAlphonsox, on 03 February 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

We've been recommended BHS as well. Not somewhere I would have ever thought to try, but their online range looks pretty good.
(There's a sale on at the moment too)
BHS might not be the best idea: http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-36123444

#10 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

I think the surprise is that they are still trading at all - I can't remember that last time I actually walked into a BHS store, probably sometime in the 1980s. It's definitely bad news for the 11000 people employed by them, I guess there may by some way back from insolvency for some portion of the business but it's not clear what residual value there is. Maybe the online bit could survive but I'm not sure the name has any great pull.

#11 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

On the radio it said they owed their pension scheme quite a lot of money and that potential buyers didn't want that liability. I think the government should look at this whole issue and perhaps legislate on how much a company can effectively borrow from employees pension funds.

Edited by temp, 24 April 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#12 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

I thinks it's probably too late for legislation - the pension deficit of the FTSE350 companies is currently running at around £100 billion. In a lot of cases asking the companies to fill this hole in a short time period would cause the companies to collapse which is not in the employees interest either. The pensions regulator is understandably sensitive to accusations of putting companies under undue financial pressure. Pension recovery plans have been extended from 5 year targets to 10y ears+ and must consider the employers continued operation.

In this particular case the pensions regulator is eyeing Philip Greens fortune (or his wife's) and looking to get its hands on some of it to back fill the deficit.