ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

JSHarris - 10,000 Posts And Counting ...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Fall Guy

• Administrators
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

POPULAR

Congratulations to JSHarris for reaching 10,000 posts today, an incredible number in a relatively short time. And some of them are quite good as well. :rolleyes: Nor must we forget his multiple blog entries which have proved to be extremely popular and informative.

So, on behalf of all ebuild users, a very BIG thank you to JSH for his contribution to ebuild and self build in general.

David

PS thanks to Warby for letting me know that 10,000 was about to be reached.
PPS I now realise that another contributor, Joiner, reached 10,000 posts a while ago. A big thanks to Joiner as well.
PPPS If anyone else has reached 10,000 posts, please let me know before I cause anymore damage!!!

Edited by admin, 02 February 2016 - 09:29 PM.
Admin cockup

#2 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

Congratulations indeed, possibly one of the most intelligent people I have ever has the pleasure of dealing with. Jeremy and the other mods have open my eyes to what a forum can be instead of the usual "disagree and die" style
Looking forward to the next 10k :)

Ed

#3 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:28 PM

I concur, and I would add that most of them are very good. So nice to meet (if virtually) a person who takes all on face value and has the time and patience to treat their concerns seriously and with utmost care. attention and detail. He must be living on a different timescale where there are 36 hours in a day.

#4 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yes, 3 cheers are well in order. :)
Dave, ( Joiner ).... Plus 10K and rising, and I can't believe that I'm on the 7k + too :o
I'd like to take this opportunity to give Jeremy a ribbing, but I don't think I can recall more than a couple of smilies ( emoticons ) and have to admit that it's quite simply been 10k of absolute gold.
I for one, am better off for the Ebuild experience, and would like to recognise Jeremy's contributions as a definite, positive influence on me, and am very grateful for his help, selflessness, and generous participation for which he seems to offer in abundance, both here, and in a personal capacity.
Thank you Jeremy.
Best regards, and here's to another 10k,
Nick.

#5 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

Thanks, I hadn't noticed. It has taken me quite a few years to get to this number though, as I think I joined a while before joiner, and he reached 10,000 before me.........................

#6 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Can you just stop being humble for ONE minute ?!?
:D

#7 admin

admin

Fall Guy

• Administrators
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

View Postjsharris, on 02 February 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

It has taken me quite a few years to get to this number though, as I think I joined a while before joiner, and he reached 10,000 before me.........................

You did join earlier, but you went walkabout for a while :)

#8 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

View Postadmin, on 02 February 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

You did join earlier, but you went walkabout for a while :)

Yes, I did. It's called "plot hunting" :)

I really do not want to do that again, it took years to finally get a plot, with goodness knows how many miles of driving around.

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

But Jeremy
You managed to get "Front Bottom" in one of them.
That has to be worth a bit :D

#10 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

I agree, a top man is Mr Harris.
I'm also a fan of the off topic caving/flying/travelling/music stories...all hail the beard of wisdom :)

#11 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

Not forgetting the explosives !!!
:wacko:

#12 Mackers

Mackers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationBanbridge

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

Congrats, now we know why all the threads seem busy lol

#13 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

POPULAR

I concur with all above, and I actually met Jeremy at his new build to see it, and him, in the flesh. A thoroughly selfless character whose unbounded knowledge is a credit to him and we are all the better, and more knowledgable, for knowing him. I new Jeremy and Joiner on "the other place" and it is so much the poorer for not embracing their knowledge. Thanks guys for all your help.

#14 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:40 AM

:D You caught up eventually, then, Harris? :P

+ god knows how many to all of the above.

I'll embarrass him further by saying that I have always described him as "a really nice bloke with a brain the size of a planet" and he's never, ever failed to live up to that.

#15 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

Never mind the number. Look at the quality. Look at the detail. Look at the patience. Look at the engagement. Look at the care. Look at the persistence.

In the online environment, you are a gifted teacher Jeremy. And people can smell that.
Thanks for all your effort.
Ian

#16 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

Following on from mafaldina, I don't know how you've found the time to acquire all the knowledge you have, let alone disseminate it so patiently and do all the different things you've written about. Thanks.

#17 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:38 AM

POPULAR

It's just insatiable curiosity, nothing more. All I ever wanted as birthday or Christmas presents were books, preferably encyclopaedias. I couldn't have had any career other than in science, as that was really the only way I could make a living from being insatiably curious.

It's a very mixed blessing, though, as a lot of people don't really want to understand, or even know, how the world around them works. It can infuriate SWMBO, especially when I do an experiment to find something out or prove something already known.

I remember once disagreeing about the rate of cooling of a cup of tea. She said "don't put the milk in mine yet, I'll add it later as I like my tea hot". I, quite innocently replied that the tea would remain hotter for longer if the milk went in first, to lower the initial temperature and reduce the initial heat loss rate. I set up an experiment in the kitchen, with two thermometers and two identical cups, filling one with tea without milk, which was added a couple of minutes later, and the other with tea with milk. I read the thermometers every minute and plotted the cooling curves. Sure enough, just as Newton had shown centuries earlier, the cup that had the milk added later had cooled to a lower temperature after 15 minutes, with that additional heat loss occurring in the first couple of minutes before the milk was added.

Edited by joiner, 03 February 2016 - 08:54 AM.
"w" added to "as" to make, da da, "was"

#18 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

POPULAR

:D That you have managed to SURVIVE long enough to reach 10K is a miracle in itself. Mine would have poured the tea over my head and battered me with the kettle. :huh:

#19 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:08 AM

It's just insatiable curiosity, nothing more. All I ever wanted as birthday or Christmas presents were books, preferably encyclopaedias.
I think that sums it up. What is impressive is your energy and also your ability to explain things.

I was interested to read what you wrote about hacking websites in the other thread. I happen to know a bit about this kind of stuff, and I was impressed by the way you explained how what-you-did.

View Postjsharris, on 03 February 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

I remember once disagreeing about the rate of cooling of a cup of tea. She said "don't put the milk in mine yet, I'll add it later as I like my tea hot". I, quite innocently replied that the tea would remain hotter for longer if the milk went in first, to lower the initial temperature and reduce the initial heat loss rate. I set up an experiment in the kitchen, with two thermometers and two identical cups, filling one with tea without milk, which was added a couple of minutes later, and the other with tea with milk. I read the thermometers every minute and plotted the cooling curves. Sure enough, just as Newton had shown centuries earlier, the cup that had the milk added later had cooled to a lower temperature after 15 minutes, with that additional heat loss occurring in the first couple of minutes before the milk was added.
Erm, don't feel like you have to explain in detail, a link would do, but wouldn't the temperatures converge assuming the milk goes in the other cup eventually? Surely it just depends when you measure the temperature? I'm visualising a graph of temp v time. Milk-first has a sudden drop when milk is added then lower heat loss rate because of the lower delta. Milk-last starts higher but then has a higher heat loss rate. Eventually I thought they'd curve to meet each other. So doesn't it depend when the tea is tasted and what temperature you can bear it at? What I can't envisage is the milk-last cup to "overtake" the milk-first, even though it has a higher heat loss rate, because it is starting at a higher temp.

Edited by gravelld, 03 February 2016 - 09:11 AM.

#20 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

View Postjsharris, on 03 February 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

This story proves one of two things:

1. You managed to find an angel to marry!
2. You are immortal!
3. You are a cat!

Either way as my little brother (who's actually nearly 40 but remains younger than me) would say "good skills" :D

Edit: Two 'M''s! You fool!

Edit 2: Added third highly possible answer.

Attached Files

Edited by Barney12, 03 February 2016 - 09:12 AM.