ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

MBC Houses Built?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Roughly how many houses do MBC build a year in the UK?

To the nearest 10, or nearest hundred if appropriate, is good enough.

I just don't know the number.

Thanks

Ferdinand

#2 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

I'd guess around 20?

I know they've done a largish block of flats recently in the south east and seem to recall that they're about to kick off on a social housing development of something like 10-20 houses.

Jack

#3 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

Sounds about right - they seem to have 2-3 projects on the go at any one time and it takes them about 3-4 weeks to complete a single house

#4 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

IIRC, they had built around half a dozen in the UK before ours, and their build rate accelerated here from early 2014 on, with them taking on more staff. I think the number is a fair bit more than 20 a year now, just going on what I have heard. When building ours they were also building at least one other at the same time (Wittenham on here) and may well have had another build on the go as well. That was when things were a lot slower than they are now.

I'd guess that they're building over 50 houses a year in the UK, plus some in Ireland (although I'm not sure that the Irish economy has picked up as quickly as ours has).

#5 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

Which leads to the inevitable "are they overtrading?" question.
Companies that experience rapid growth are always at a much higher risk (both in terms of financials and quality).
PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying this is the case with MBC but it is though a factor when considering any contractor.

#6 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostBarney12, on 02 February 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

Companies that experience rapid growth are always at a much higher risk (both in terms of financials and quality).
PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying this is the case with MBC but it is though a factor when considering any contractor.

We went over to Ireland and visited the factory. Half of it was mothballed and being used for storage and the other half was working at far less then half capacity. I believe they were building around 100 houses a year before the downturn, so that would seem to be around their capacity with their present facilities.

#7 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostBarney12, on 02 February 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

One of the lads that worked on our (MBC) house dropped in for a cup of tea recently (he was in the area on another job) and he said they've actually pulled things back a bit in the last few months, I assume to avoid just that issue.

Jack

#8 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Good to know thanks.

I wont get all 'financial' but the risk factor with contractors in this point in the economic cycle is definitely one to watch.

#9 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

In order to maintain quality im sure, as their work is impeccable from my experience working alongside them :)
Extraordinary work ethics too, with their only late start caused by me taking them out on the town :unsure:
:ph34r:

Edited by Nickfromwales, 02 February 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#10 Barney12

Barney12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 02 February 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

In order to maintain quality im sure, as their work is impeccable from my experience working alongside them :)
Extraordinary work ethics too, with their only late start caused by me taking them out on the town :unsure:
:ph34r:

You are clearly a bad influence!! I have to say in my experience the Irish generally have an exceptionally good work ethic. Oh and a bit like the Welsh they don't half like to talk ;)

#11 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

I don't know WHAT your talking about............
:D

#12 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

but we dont stop working when we talk thats the secret.

#13 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

[edited - wrong quote!]

View PostBarney12, on 02 February 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

I wont get all 'financial' but the risk factor with contractors in this point in the economic cycle is definitely one to watch.

I believe MBC got through the crunch in Ireland by the skin of their teeth. They've seen several competitors in the UK and Ireland go under through the non-payment of only one or two big accounts. Joe (MBC's owner) is very clear about avoiding this, and that's why he focuses on the self-build market and insists on upfront stage payments.

At first I thought this was him (understandably) putting his risks before ours. But then I thought further: if he's insisting on this from everyone, and his business is growing, then this is actually protecting MBC's customers. This is because the chance of MBC being king-hit by a huge non-payer and going down with everyone's deposits is drastically reduced. Of course, you can't guarantee that something else won't happen: economic or business mismanagement, fraud, litigation - any of these can hit any company out of the blue.

I take your point about the economic cycle though. Things seem really weird out there.

Jack

Edited by notnickclegg, 02 February 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#14 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostBarney12, on 02 February 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

You are clearly a bad influence!! I have to say in my experience the Irish generally have an exceptionally good work ethic. Oh and a bit like the Welsh they don't half like to talk ;)

It's unbelievable. The MBC guys worked literally from dawn to gone dusk, and barely stopped for tea. None of the other people who worked on our build worked anywhere near as hard, with the possible exception of the chap that laid our drive (and who I've asked back to do our landscaping). More than once I had to remind the MBC guys that I had a planning condition that limited working hours on site.

#15 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

I've just been given the answer to this question directly, and it is that MBC comfortably have the capacity to build 40 to 50 houses a year in the UK.

As mentioned in post #13 above, the stage payment system they use splits the risk well, over 5 or 6 stages, and I thought it was very fair myself. MBC are happy to accept a solicitors letter from the client agreeing to the stage payment plan, with payments only being made after completion of each stage. My experience was the same, although I didn't feel the need to involve a solicitor. Joe at MBC would phone or drop me an email as soon as a stage had been completed and I tried to pay it the next day, to keep things squared away.

#16 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:36 PM

Sadly, they (currently) will not build everywhere in the UK. I certainly asked the question, and I believe ProDave did as well. Understandable in my case as I am a ferry ride beyond the north end of the country, and consequently their base of operation.

#17 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:30 PM

So how many ebuild houses have MBC built then? I know of Wittenham, Jeremy, Jack (NNC), HerbJ, Halfmile4, TerryE and myself. I'm sure I've missed a few...

#18 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 02 February 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

So how many ebuild houses have MBC built then? I know of Wittenham, Jeremy, Jack (NNC), HerbJ, Halfmile4, TerryE and myself. I'm sure I've missed a few...

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that I may possibly have influenced one or two.....................

I should say that I'm just a customer, and I've stayed well away from all offers to promote anyone's business, here or elsewhere.

#19 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

View Postjsharris, on 02 February 2016 - 10:45 PM, said:

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that I may possibly have influenced one or two.....................

You're an early adopter :)

I visited yours and Wittenham's before proceeding and followed Jack & Herb's build pretty closely. We'll have to set up an owner's club...

#20 Mikey1980

Mikey1980

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

They are building mine at present, roof battening should be finished today. They should host a map on their Website showing where they have built houses, the same as Ecohaus do with their window intsallations.