ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

New To This And Complete Novice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dreaming100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

I'm hoping to self build on a site beside my fathers where I'm currently living in a sectional wooden frame building. The issue I'm having is that the small awful shape of this ground is about 80-90 feet by about 42-45 feet of solid rock. I live at the top of a steep slope of high Rock and it slopes down towards the road which half of this is 80-90 feet is my driveway. My house is at the top of the hill and would be approx 5-6 meters high which slopes to road if you can picture what I'm describing. Hopefully the pictures make it clear.

My fathers house is built on the lower ground level and has a cliff out his back which at the top is my garden. So I'm sitting well above him. I would like to keep some of the height if possible as my house is a sun trap because we are naturally high up ( live on a small mountain) but there's a very high forest directly opposite our house on a country road so the forest blocks a lot of light to my dads but mines much better.

The length of site facing the road is the 42-45 feet and the length I can go back is the 80-90 feet. Would a site this size be enough to build on? How much is it Going to cost to dig Rock out and can I sell it to make money back?

The reason I can't build up from where My wooden frame house is now is because there's electric cables running above my house so I will need to go further forward. I was also thinking of building split level so I can go higher without having to take out all the Rock and possible in an L shape with the front porch in the middle of the corner coming further out. No idea about house designs or what is possible to work with.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. I would love to know if it's not worth my while due to costs of removing Rock. I just don't want to be living in this wooden frame building for the rest of my days.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

#2 ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

What size is the power line? have you asked for a price to move it or put it underground?

#3 ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

Get a copy of your powerline Wayleave agreement from your Distribution Network Operator.

Mine allowed me simply to give them 12-15 month's notice to move it. Saved 10s of thousands as it was high voltage.

Edited by ferdinand, 31 January 2016 - 02:22 PM.