ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

House Design & Layout Feedback And Advice Please :)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PencilPot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Your feedback and advice is welcomed on the following design please, my plan is to build on the side of an existing 3 bed semi-detached.

This is my 2nd attempt at the layout, but I’m willing to make modifications and alter the design if required.

The land to the right is tapered, so the external wall will be at an angle, which isn’t ideal for the layouts but could still produce nice house.

Planning is for a 2 bed house, but once/if approved the plan would be to apply for a loft conversion also under permitted development. This will have a 3rd bedroom and an on suit bathroom (toilet sink and shower)

The plan would be to run the stairs above the existing stairs on the 1st floor and not lose any room. Making a 3 bed house.

The roof would be structured with a standard box dormer (following the external wall.) The roof tapers in after the ridge. (the front half of the house is square)

I appreciate this isn’t a normal design due to the shape, but I would like to utilise the space in the best way possible as well as the lay out and would appreciate any comments advice guidance or recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s

Attached Files

#2 ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

After a brief look, I don't understand why you have a family bathroom. You have a family loo downstairs, so the only reason to have a family bathroom is so that the front bedroom has access to an upstairs loo.

ISTM that two ensuites would be better.

What about moving the door to the front bedroom onto the side of the landing, and putting a proper ensuite (shower + whb + wc) into the very generous larger space you liberate?

You have access to a soil pipe since it is directly above the downstairs loo.

As a shared house for 2 friends that would be a far better prospect, especially if you want (or want to sell to someone who wants) an option to rent.

A siteplan and location plan would help people comment. eg I can't be sure of North.

Bedroom 2 I would hinge the door the other way to go against the wall.

Lounge you have 1 sqm of dead space behind the door. I would move it to the corner, opening against the wall.

Would a sliding door for the downstairs loo make it feel more spacious?

Bin store?

Edited by ferdinand, 20 January 2016 - 01:28 PM.