ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

12V Lighting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

Went to Lidl to buy a IR thermometer but they didn't have any but did have these
All the power in the hut is 12v so I just cut off the transformer big and hey presto it works.
The light fitting is screwed to the wall so no danger of anyone plugging it into 240v at home
I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of rules but it's safe enough. Out of interest, what is likely to happen if it was plugged into a regular socket?

Attached Files

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

You are not telling me you are using BS1363 13A sockets for 12V are you?

If you took the 12V lamp home and plugged it into 240V, you would most certainly let all the smoke out from the light fitting, and we all know, once the smoke has gone, it will no longer work.

#3 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

I suspect the smoke would come out with a large bang, too, and may well expose bits of live stuff before the fuse/breaker/RCD blows.

You can get 12V sockets, plugs switches etc, they are commonplace on boats now.

Edited by jsharris, 17 January 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#4 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:28 PM

View PostProDave, on 17 January 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

You are not telling me you are using BS1363 13A sockets for 12V are you?

If you took the 12V lamp home and plugged it into 240V, you would most certainly let all the smoke out from the light fitting, and we all know, once the smoke has gone, it will no longer work.
Afraid so *tin hat*
Thing is it is never ever going to be going home or anywhere near a real socket.
In any case if all the smoke comes out, can you not get a refill can from screwfix for a pound...

#5 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

View Postjsharris, on 17 January 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

I suspect the smoke would come out with a large bang, too, and may well expose bits of live stuff before the fuse/breaker/RCD blows.

You can get 12V sockets, plugs switches etc, they are commonplace on boats now.
I'll have a look and tidy it up...
Edit: looked online sockets five pounds- plugs extra and you need to plumb them in - drilling holes etc.
Easier just to use the el cheapo stuff and make some skull and crossed bones stickers for the plug in case I die suddenly and someone stupid decides to take it home.

Edited by tennentslager, 17 January 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#6 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

The most unusual job I ever had to do was "wire" a public toilet.

No ordinary public loo, but a composting toilet at a remote fishing lake.

The electrics consisted if a 12V battery with a solar panel and a wind turbine to charge it. that fed a fan to ventilate the composting tank, and a low power 12V light.

And building control demanded an EIC for that installation.

#7 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostProDave, on 17 January 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

The most unusual job I ever had to do was "wire" a public toilet.

No ordinary public loo, but a composting toilet at a remote fishing lake.

The electrics consisted if a 12V battery with a solar panel and a wind turbine to charge it. that fed a fan to ventilate the composting tank, and a low power 12V light.

And building control demanded an EIC for that installation.
This is exactly my set up...thanks the gods BC need a visa to access the hutters community : D

#8 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

POPULAR

View Posttennentslager, on 17 January 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

I'll have a look and tidy it up...
Edit: looked online sockets five pounds- plugs extra and you need to plumb them in - drilling holes etc.
Easier just to use the el cheapo stuff and make some skull and crossed bones stickers for the plug in case I die suddenly and someone stupid decides to take it home.

I've generally used the very cheap 2.1mm or 2.5mm pin standard very low voltage plugs and sockets that are on many chargers etc. You can buy these very cheaply on ebay and it's dead easy to just get a blanking plate for a standard pattress box and drill holes for the sockets. You can add a hole for a toggle switch too, or take a bit more time and fit a more flush type of rocker switch. Here are some links to UK suppliers on ebay:

2.1mm hole mount connectors: http://www.ebay.co.u...XxA__j1msl3DuOw

2.1mm solderless plugs: http://www.ebay.co.u...F0AAOSwQiRUo94J

2.1mm solder type plugs: http://www.ebay.co.u...SwAAOSw2XFUcjwO

hole mount rocker switches: http://www.ebay.co.u...ia3wFEnQDdfzXag