ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Steadings Conversion In Aberdeenshire - Advice Required!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Silbo14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Firstly I am a complete novice - first steading conversion.
I have experience renovating a house in Yorkshire, only interior stuff and I used contractors for most of the work, just bashed stuff out myself really to keep costs down.

I am considering converting a 200 square metre barn. Built from granite with a slate roof, has power but no water (locally available).
I have £90,000 ready, but expect it will cost more, although I have no concept of how much, I have attached a couple of pictures for interest.

Am I mad to undertake this?
Can anyone give a very rough planning figure on cost?

Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by joiner, 11 January 2016 - 10:41 PM.
Typo "converstion" to "conversion"

#2 Roger440

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

I have no useful advice other than to say im rather jealous:)

Just the kind of thing id love to do.

#3 Redoctober

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Hi and welcome - Looks an amazing project and depending on what it is you are looking to achieve, could well be an expensive one.

I'm sure others may pitch in with some advice and guidance but without specifics, it could be a little difficult to pin down a figure, suffice to say a good starting point is £1000 per square metre.

Hold on tight nonetheless and enjoy the ride. :)

#4 tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

Looks lovely...what's the span of those lintels in the second pic?
Could make a Nice courtyard.
£90k...do it in phases..

#5 ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

I would say not a hope in hell of converting that for £90K

If you do go ahead, get some form of survey on the building to see if it's sound. I caution you as someone near here bought a steading to convert. He thought he just had to dig out the (rubble) floor to lower it a few inches. that's when he found the walls literally sat on the ground and you couldn't just dig out the ground without underpinning the whole lot. He ended up demolishing it and doing a new build from scratch as cheaper than converting the old building.

If the building is sound then it looks like it will make a nice conversion.

Edited by ProDave, 11 January 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#6 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

:) Welcome.

Lots of previous threads on this subject.

Put "steading" in the search box at the top of the page, make sure you've selected 'Forums'. and put a couple of hours aside. ;)

#7 ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:23 AM

In answer to your most important question, yes of course you are mad - basic qualification!

It looks very interesting, and it depends what you are doing with it.

I like pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey, so I will estimate 350k +/- 150k, on the basis of:

1000 £/sqm x 300-400sqm if you put 2 storeys in.
The area estimate being based on a 5m eaves height x 20m or so length to each side x 5m width = 200sqm minus an overlap at the corner.

Things that make a difference:

Is it listed?
How much are you doing yourself?
What are your skills?
2 year or 6-8 year "while living in it" project?
Specification, and if you control yourselves.

You need to be prepared for multiple surprises that will cost 10k+ each to sort out.

The "phase it" advice is very good. I might suggest design it so you can treat parts of it as separate to rent out while you are doing the other bits for income, or even 2 dwellings if you need. You could eg start with your kitchen and living in one part, then finish the bedroom wing in a phase 2 in 10 years time.

Find some good storage space, so you can buy "10% of new price bargains" several years in advance and store them somewhere well ventilated and dry.

I'm being a bit light-hearted above, but it looks like a really interesting project.

And consider buying a digger :-).

Edited by ferdinand, 12 January 2016 - 05:28 AM.

#8 ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:12 AM

View Postferdinand, on 12 January 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

And consider buying a digger :-).
+1 to that

and your own scaffold, cement mixer, wacker, etc etc.

#9 PeterStarck

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationEast Kent

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

Welcome and what a great looking project. I'd only done renovations before my first self build. I echo the £1000/m2 figure with the usual caveats of depending on how much of the work you do etc. Good luck.