ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Homebrew UFH Test Kit?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:04 AM

The conical bit with an O ring looks exactly like a filling loop hose end, that fits into a standard 15mm compression fitting. The snag is, I can't see how that is held into the fitting. There doesn't seem to be a 1/2" BSPF collar to keep the conical bit tight into the fitting.

#42 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

Looking closer & the conical bit doesn't match the taper of the 15mm compression fitting so the O-ring must do all the work. Inside the chrome nut is a (seemingly non-removable) castellated brass "olive". The Pex-Al-Pex goes over the serrated section and another O-ring that bears on the inner face of the pipe. The pipe end in fact sits in a recess in the brass.

I think the chrome nut pushes against the castellated olive that in turn grips the 16mm Pex-Al-Pex and pushes up against the back of the brass nipple part - keeping it all tight into the 15mm compression fitting:

[attachment=6152:24325951490_3d89c2b9fc_z.jpg]

More confident of it now.

#43 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

The cone on a filler loop fitting doesn't do anything other than help centre the O ring, it's the O ring that seals. Presumably that nut screws on to a 15mm compression fitting OK, and it won't need to be tight to seal, hand tight is fine on a filler loop, as all the nut is doing is keeping the bit with the O ring in place.

#44 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

View Postjsharris, on 26 January 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

The cone on a filler loop fitting doesn't do anything other than help centre the O ring, it's the O ring that seals. Presumably that nut screws on to a 15mm compression fitting OK, and it won't need to be tight to seal, hand tight is fine on a filler loop, as all the nut is doing is keeping the bit with the O ring in place.

Yes, the nut screw on lovely to a 15mm compression. Not sure if if needs to be "properly" tightened up so as to grip the Pex-Al-Pex pipe though.....

#45 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Probably does need to be tightened to grip the pipe, as you say.

#46 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

I thought the fitting above would mate nicely with the 15mm compression non return valve I have. It didn't - the O-ring was nowhere near as tight as in a normal 15mm compression coupler so I've one of those in line now. It goes:

Hose at 8.5bar
Jubilee clip
Copper pipe
15mm ball valve
Copper pipe
Non return valve
Copper pipe
15/15 coupler
Copper pipe
15/16 adapter

Pex-Al-Pex loop

15/16 adapter
15mm to 3/4" iron adaptor
Pressure gauge

So.....one end of the pipe i've just got my pressure gauge. To bleed do I just slacken that off (the gauge)....or should I introduce say a washing machine valve?

Will test mine over the next day or so, maybe tonight even! How long does it have to be "on test" before I can lay the slab? Hoping to do the slab Sunday.

#47 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

Rigged and ready to go but as it's me I've still not tested it!

I did though walk right into one by my 17 year old.....

As he has to duck under the UFH pipes to get to the study he's "aware" they're there. There's valves, shiny bits and in particular a very visible gauge one end. He's not overly interested in DIY though will help lift/shift/hold when asked. So.....we happened to be discussing The Lord Of The RIngs the other day and how neither of us are into the whole saga whereas many of his friends are. Mid conversation he asks "So, when are you going to test all this pipe and do you want a hand?". Tbh I was quite touched and pleased he appeared to be taking am interest. Asking what brought this on he held up the 11 bar gauge and breaking into his best Gollum impression went:

"My pressures!"

PMSL! :lol: All the lads at work are now cracking the boiler room door when they go to take the morning readings, sticking their head in and doing the same.

#48 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Pure gold.
PMSL.
:lol:

Edited by Nickfromwales, 05 February 2016 - 07:53 PM.