Jump to content


ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

CHECKLIST: Foundations


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

*
POPULAR

This checklist should not be regarded as definitive.

Last updated 02/02/2016.
At the bottom of the post, there's a downloadable, printable list in *.txt and *.pdf format (now [28/01] a bit out of date)
  • Soil survey (terryE #1, sharke#1, bitpipe#7, teabag#1)
  • Topographical survey datum: have two (terryE#12)
  • Costed (triassic#3)
  • Enabling work (triassic#15)
  • Delivery access, how? (terryE#12)
  • Site Signage (declan52 #16 this thread)
  • Perimeter Fence (declan52 #16 this thread)
  • How will you pump out when necessary? (terryE#12)
  • Temporary sump for perimeter drain (terryE#12)
  • Ridge line? Marker system to avoid over-filling (terryE#12)
  • Logistics of getting concrete to site, access track, concrete pump, crane and skip etc (triassic#3 terryE#11)
  • BCO requirements and experience (coopers#2)
  • ======ARCHITECTS==================
  • Architects proposal (auchlosen#1)
  • Architect ever done passiv before? (whole thread, esp jsharris#27 #29)
  • ======STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS=======
  • SE calcs, but if passiv slab care needed (jsharris#5)
  • Insulated Concrete Foundations needed? (Triassic#1, whole thread)
  • SE and Professional Indemnity Insurance.(Fallingditch#7)
  • Strip, pile, pad, raft : which? (jsharris#12) Download the report
  • ===================================
  • Trees? TPOs? (temp#2, #4, willa#1)
  • Services already on site: dead? marked? protected? (delcan #10)
  • Perimeter Drain (triassic#3)
  • Drainage layers (tiassic#3)
  • Shuttering for existing drain runs. (construction channel #9)

  • Neighbours informed, how close? Party Wall Act (disney #1 , m4tth3wb#1, dellboy13#3, Guest_cwatters#9, perfectweb#1)

  • Detailed drawings to BC
  • Crossheads in place (declan #2, #8, joe90 #6, prodave #7)
  • Trenches checked
  • Levels checked
  • Location of services within the makeup, drains, water, phone, gas, etc (triassic #3)
  • Redundant ducting to be included (for use at a later stage)? (bitpipe#13)
  • BC contacted
  • Build up? Detail (auchlosen#1 et al)
  • Steel reinforcement, where, how much, starter bars for walls etc (triassic #3)
  • UFH pipes within concrete mass or in screed? (triassic #3)
  • Quality of workmanship ( dellboy13#1)
  • ======Logistics=====================
  • Calculate concrete volume (joiner #1)
  • Route instructions for driver: tricky approach, tight turns, weak bridges?
  • How many loads (jsharris#8)
  • Load Timing (proDave #3)
  • Left over concrete: where to dump? (terryE#12)
  • ==================================
  • Shuttering support
  • Levels during pour (terryE #11)
  • Height to which to build (gibbz #1)
  • BC visited and signed off
  • Preparation for the day(s) of the pour
  • Compaction: whacker, bomag, twin drum (peterw#3, mikesharp01# 4)
  • Damp course, (martin68 #1, blpanther #1)
  • Radon barrier (rooskey #1)
  • Attached File  FoundationsChecklist.pdf   229.52K   33 downloads
  • Attached File  FoundationsChecklist.txt   2.08K   2 downloads
The downloadable lists (last updated a week or so ago) will not necessarily reflect the more recent changes to the online version

Check List: Summary and Index

Edited by recoveringacademic, 02 February 2016 - 09:39 AM.
: more detail on SEs and Foundation Design


#2 declan52

declan52

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

Putting crossheads up around the site so you can pull a string line around to set it up nice and square. You will have a point on your site that you can measure off, a road , a fence or even like on mine it was a telegraph pole.
Crossheads are more important for strip foundations and piles so make sure you put them far enough back from the founds that they don't get crushed by a digger. Then you can reuse them when the brickies come.

#3 Triassic

Triassic

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

Insulation? Type, load capacity, layering,

Costs?

Drainage layers,
Perimeter drain,
Location of services within the makeup, drains, water, phone, gas, etc
Concrete finish - tamped, power floated, polished, decorative?
Steel reinforcement, where, how much, starter bars for walls etc
UFH pipes within concrete mass or in screed?
Logistics of getting concrete to site, access track, concrete pump, crane and skip etc

Edited by Triassic, 07 January 2016 - 05:37 PM.


#4 Trw144

Trw144

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

Possibly covered in service location but ducting requirements? Ie routing for kitchen island electics:outdoor lights etc

#5 joe90

joe90

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 07 January 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:



Declan, forgive the stupidity. Whassa Crosshead?

Two bits of wood banged in the ground the width of the trench and a piece on the top ( or one for a boundary line) 8 off ( for a square or rectangle) away from the digger so they don't get driven over, string between them gives line of trench or boundry where they cross. ( would be easier to draw if I knew how to !!!)

Edited by joe90, 07 January 2016 - 06:40 PM.


#6 ProDave

ProDave

    Self build in the Highlands

  • Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

View Postjoe90, on 07 January 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

Two bits of wood banged in the ground the width of the trench and a piece on the top ( or one for a boundary line) 8 off ( for a square or rectangle) away from the digger so they don't get driven over, string between them gives line of trench or boundry where they cross. ( would be easier to draw if I knew how to !!!)
We call them profiles up here. There are no doubt plenty of different names for them

Attached File  concrete 2.jpg   82.01K   12 downloads

Edited by ProDave, 07 January 2016 - 07:01 PM.


#7 declan52

declan52

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 07 January 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:



Declan, forgive the stupidity. Whassa Crosshead?
Basically 2 bits of timber drove into to give you 2 posts with a length of timber between the 2. Make it at least 1m wide so you have plenty of room to move the lines when squaring the founds.
More or less a U shape with the middle bit wider.
It's how I have always set out any building probably old school but it works.

#8 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

    Local Youtuber

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

shuttering for existing drain runs? e.g if a mains sewer runs under your extension.

there called profiles down here too,

#9 declan52

declan52

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

Check if there any electric gas water etc on site and if they are there they are either dead or clearly marked out or protected.

#10 TerryE

TerryE

    Regular Member

  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationSouth Northants

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

Ian, I've forgotten. Are you doing a conventional foundation or an MBC-style passive slab? I assume by "trenches checked" you are doing the former. But a few things to add to your list:
  • Two survey datums (I know its supped to be data, but no one will understand what I mean) preferably in line of site of the whole slab and well outside the path of plant etc.just in case you move your crossheads and need to reset them
  • Strategy for pumping water out of foundation, 'cause it will fill at this time of year.
  • Temporary sump / pump for perimeter drain unless you can take it off down a natural fall away.
  • If you have a potential ridgeline issue then you must have a clear marker system to ensure that you don't overfill the foundation.
  • Strategy for dumping / using any left over concrete. You will want to slightly over order rather than under order, but don't assume that the supplier will be willing to take excess off-site.
  • Thermal design for foundation
  • Temporary surface and access to the slab. My builder just dumped 6" of road planings along the front of the slab, Its a great cheap temporary surface, but it is totally impervious to water and so we get large puddling when it rains and it also acts as a bund!


#11 bitpipe

bitpipe

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

Great list Ian. It blends elements of initial groundworks with the actual foundation construction which is not unreasonable as these services often come from the same contractor and are typically organised as one package. Also, as this is normally constitutes the first major site works, it's the driver for getting all the other site basics in place.

Therefore I'd suggest splitting it into three sections (each could be their own list eventually):

Preliminaries - all the non construction elements such as planning, BC, SE, PWA, insurance etc.. basically everything that needs to happen before a spade hits the ground.
Site prep - site services, welfare (tea huts, loos etc) site storage & security, demolition, excavation, levelling, muck away, service trenches
Foundation build itself

My additions were ducting (including redundancy) for services coming up through the slab? May have been there but could have missed it.

Our basement used a lot of EPS in its construction and it was a challenge to find somewhere to store it so that may be a check list item also. We also had regular deliveries of skips, Type 1, clean stone, pea shingle, pipes, planings, shuttering etc, etc and it was quite a challenge to find somewhere to put it all.

#12 Triassic

Triassic

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

Ian, a great thread, especially as I'm within an ace (fingers crossed) of selling our current home, releasing the finance to start our self build.

I'm on site for the next week or so, doing enabling works, moving plants, trees, widening the access track, widening gateways etc. Come to think of it, you may wish to add enabling works to the preliminaries list.

#13 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 08 January 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:


Therefore I'd suggest splitting it into three sections (each could be their own list eventually):

Preliminaries - all the non construction elements such as planning, BC, SE, PWA, insurance etc.. basically everything that needs to happen before a spade hits the ground.
Site prep - site services, welfare (tea huts, loos etc) site storage & security, demolition, excavation, levelling, muck away, service trenches
Foundation build itself

My additions were ducting ( including redundancy) for services coming up through the slab? May have been there but could have missed it.

Our basement used a lot of EPS in its construction and it was a challenge to find somewhere to store it so that may be a check list item also. We also had regular deliveries of skips, Type 1, clean stone, pea shingle, pipes, planings, shuttering etc, etc and it was quite a challenge to find somewhere to put it all.

I've ummmed and ahhed about this(ese) issue(s) for a good while. And I really appreciate the feedback. I'll continue to work on it. Trouble is I know less than nothing about foundations (or anything else much), and so the ordering (or subdivision ) of the list is something I'll really need some help with.

Maybe lack of knowledge is -to an extent- an asset. But I'm beginning to think that I should just get completely out of the way and let everyone else add and order what's needed.
In any case, I'm really grateful for all the comments.
Ian

#14 declan52

declan52

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

What about the like of site signage. Not sure how it works in all of the UK but here you are meant to have signs on the entrance about H&S etc and signs on the road warning about site traffic.
Same with fencing around the site to make it secure and to keep kids and nosey people out.

#15 TerryE

TerryE

    Regular Member

  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationSouth Northants

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 08 January 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Our basement used a lot of EPS in its construction and it was a challenge to find somewhere to store it so that may be a check list item also. We also had regular deliveries of skips, Type 1, clean stone, pea shingle, pipes, planings, shuttering etc, etc and it was quite a challenge to find somewhere to put it all.
I'd liken the whole process to the game called the Towers of Hanoi -- especially if you have a restricted site or even restricted access to the site. All it can take is one delivery out of order or one load dumped in the wrong place to create a "log jam" in the whole choreography. I suspect that doing a slab in the summer (when the water table is well below ground level) is a lot easier, but at the moment you need to ensure that access to all of your storage areas has the necessary ground bearing pressure.

#16 Triassic

Triassic

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

What about insulation of the foundations, insulated slab, u-values? Design of the insulated slab (Hilliard Tanner, Olof Christiansen and others). Can you DIY an insulated slab, grades of insulation and where to buy such stuff?

#17 warby

warby

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:53 AM

View Postbitpipe, on 08 January 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

Great list Ian. It blends elements of initial groundworks with the actual foundation construction which is not unreasonable as these services often come from the same contractor and are typically organised as one package. Also, as this is normally constitutes the first major site works, it's the driver for getting all the other site basics in place.

Therefore I'd suggest splitting it into three sections (each could be their own list eventually):

Preliminaries - all the non construction elements such as planning, BC, SE, PWA, insurance etc.. basically everything that needs to happen before a spade hits the ground.
Site prep - site services, welfare (tea huts, loos etc) site storage & security, demolition, excavation, levelling, muck away, service trenches
Foundation build itself

My additions were ducting (including redundancy) for services coming up through the slab? May have been there but could have missed it.

Our basement used a lot of EPS in its construction and it was a challenge to find somewhere to store it so that may be a check list item also. We also had regular deliveries of skips, Type 1, clean stone, pea shingle, pipes, planings, shuttering etc, etc and it was quite a challenge to find somewhere to put it all.
I agree with you completely. My project plan has loads of tasks not included under Foundations but would be included under Preliminaries and site prep. I would suggest either one combined or two more checklists are definitely needed.

#18 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:12 AM

View Postwarby, on 01 February 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

I agree with you completely. My project plan has loads of tasks not included under Foundations but would be included under Preliminaries and site prep. I would suggest either one combined or two more checklists are definitely needed.

Hi, thanks very much for the feedback.

First, combining check lists. There's huge potential for that, but first we need a good 'body' of work to collate and then combine.

I'd be delighted if members felt able to start their own checklists (Here's how: FAQs at the bottom of the post) . Warby could you find a few minutes to add a few key items to the Foundations list, please - perhaps in response to this post if you like, and I'll mess about with the copying and pasting?

Have a good week!
Ian

Edited by recoveringacademic, 01 February 2016 - 06:13 AM.
: punctuation


#19 ferdinand

ferdinand

    Advanced Member

  • Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 08 January 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Trouble is I know less than nothing about foundations (or anything else much), and so the ordering (or subdivision ) of the list is something I'll really need some help with.

Nothing that 3 months with a minidigger won't fix. If it ever arrives.

Seriously:

- Trees/TPOs.
I've added this http://www.ebuild.co...le/#entry154795 to Temp's thread about one way of finding a TPO near your site, answering the question in his 2009 post.

But perhaps that also belongs in a to-be-created checklist about advanced checks on a site?

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 01 February 2016 - 08:01 AM.


#20 PeterW

PeterW

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

May want to add this as a tree reference - its the BS bible on construction near trees

http://www.ebuild.co...ge__hl__crawley