ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

New Builds, Camper Vans, Trade Vans And Caravans

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Just been a bit on the radio (You and Yours) about some new housing developments not allowing vans on the drives.

Good way to create a middle class ghetto.

#2 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Yes I was just listening to that. Wouldn't get far up here, every other house has a rusty tractor outside :D

I wonder how tight the definitions are- could you ply line a Berlingo, remove the rear seats, and voila; is that a car or a van?

#3 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

A lot of new developments have restrictive covenants prohibiting things like caravans parked on your drive.

My understanding, is that is is largely to protect the developer. They don't want the first residents of a new development making them look tatty before they have sold the whole development.

Whether they bother to enforce these covenants once the whole development has been sold and the builders have moved on is another matter.

It is surprising how few people biother to check the covenants before buying a house. When I was last house hunting it was always a question I asked when I viewed a house, as a no caravan or trailer covenant would make the house useless to me. But I must be rare in asking that, as nobody ever knew the answer.

My very first house had such a covenant and I broke it by parking a caravan, but nobody ever said anything.

Edited by ProDave, 06 January 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#4 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Personally, I like caravans on peoples drives in High Wycombe. Stops then being down here.

#5 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

I certainly recall a long list of covenants when we bought a house on a small development. The two that stick in my mind were repairing vehicles on the driveway and the keeping of poultry. I would agree that they are generally designed to help the developer sell his houses, so I doubt they would do anything once offsite. Neighbours could still move to enforce the covenants, although how much that would cost / how easy it would be is another matter.

#6 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostProDave, on 06 January 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

It is surprising how few people biother to check the covenants before buying a house. When I was last house hunting it was always a question I asked when I viewed a house, as a no caravan or trailer covenant would make the house useless to me. But I must be rare in asking that, as nobody ever knew the answer.

I think covenants are more usually looked at by your solicitor during the purchase process. Certainly that's when the covenants on our plot became apparent.

View PostProDave, on 06 January 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

My understanding, is that is is largely to protect the developer. They don't want the first residents of a new development making them look tatty before they have sold the whole development.

Whether they bother to enforce these covenants once the whole development has been sold and the builders have moved on is another matter.

Might be the primary focus, but I could also see the argument that they benefit your neighbours, and as such, they'd have the right to enforce them.

Jack

#7 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostCrofter, on 06 January 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

could you ply line a Berlingo?

I can over my wife's dead body, apparently

#8 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

I turned my old Scenic into a camper van for a bet. Was quite good, even made a shower that ran of the camping stove.
Would I be allowed to park that in my drive?

#9 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

View Poststones, on 06 January 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

I certainly recall a long list of covenants when we bought a house on a small development. The two that stick in my mind were repairing vehicles on the driveway and the keeping of poultry. I would agree that they are generally designed to help the developer sell his houses, so I doubt they would do anything once offsite. Neighbours could still move to enforce the covenants, although how much that would cost / how easy it would be is another matter.

The poultry one is sensible on new developments since rats will be encouraged if the owners don't know about keeping chickens.

Would the other one be about keeping oil out of the drains and encouraging bods to do their repairs in their garages?

I suppose it could also be because a trade van may well be an extra over the normal number of cars.

F

#10 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Vanoraks might like to read this (325 post) thread on Gardenlaw about this issue:

http://www.gardenlaw....php?f=9&t=6617

ferdinand

#11 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

I've seen one precluding you setting up a steam engine on your land so this sort of thing has been going on awhile.

#12 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:53 PM

View Postnotnickclegg, on 06 January 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

I think covenants are more usually looked at by your solicitor during the purchase process. Certainly that's when the covenants on our plot became apparent.

Yes, but I didn't want to start the process of buying a house, only to find out late in the process that it's not suitable and have to withdraw from the deal and bugger everybody else up.