ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

First Time Poster...first Time Extender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tonymontana1uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Hello all,

Just found the forum and it looks like a great place for information and advice.

I’m hoping to embark on my own home extension plan in the coming weeks, in the process of purchasing as new house that has some great potential, but my experience is limited to just internal non-structural improvements, so hoping to get some pointers around planning permission and best approaches etc.

I’ve have an offer accepted on a house and it’s all going through the usual searches etc. The house is a semi, identical to the adjoining house, it has a 100ft driveway, the neighbours actually use “my” dropped curb and driveway entrance to access their own drive and park their cars, existing home owners and neighbours to be are fine with this arrangement, I don’t necessarily have a problem with this.

To the rear the house has a 100ft garden too, backing onto open fields. My idea is to extend the rear of the property and open it to make the most of the field views. My query at this stage is around the planning permissions and potential objections from the neighbours.

The property already has a rear extension of about 2m that has been there for more than 20 years (existing home owners advised that the extension was there when they moved in 20+ years ago). On the back of this extension is a conservatory protruding a further 3.35m into the garden and about 4.5m wide.

I would like to take down the conservatory and build a single story extension to at least 3.35m and across the width of the whole property (about 8.5m).

Now from what I understand for a semi-detached you can build up to 3m under permitted development. My question is will that 3m include the 2m extension that is already there, since it’s been there for 20+ years?

If not I’m guessing I’d have to take my chances with planning permission and potential objection from the neighbour, although I’m guessing I could always use the driveway access issue as some leverage, but I would rather get on with my neighbours then start off on the wrong foot.

Any advice greatly appreciated looking forward to contributing to the forum.

(if I've posted this in the wrong forum, apologies)

Edited by joiner, 04 January 2016 - 10:32 PM.

#2 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

:) Welcome, Tony. No, you're fine here for the moment, it's only when you need to get specific that it pays to choose a category that relates directly to whatever subject area you're inquiring about - although digression is a characteristic of this forum, not that I'm ever guilty of it. ;)

#3 temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

The 3m dimension is from the rear wall of the original unextended house. More than that and you need planning permission.

List of rules here..

And some extra notes here...

Perhaps watch out for things like height limits of eaves near the boundary.

Edited by temp, 05 January 2016 - 12:49 AM.

#4 temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:50 AM

If it turns out you will need planning permission I wouldn't demolish the conservatory until you get it.

#5 tonymontana1uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

thanks chaps,

i'm working on some floorplans so will post and seek advise as appropriate

much appreciated