ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Removing Wallpaper

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

Just wondering, if we were to wallpaper some of our newly plastered walls, will it be a pain to go back to a smooth painted wall down the line?

#2 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

It may need some light sanding back but nothing too bad.

Worth giving it all a mist coat of emulsion anyway if you're not doing a full room as its easier to cut the corners in and wallpaper always looks better on white background

#3 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Use a steamer to remove it when it's time is up and Don't dig in the scraper when removing it. As above put some paint on it first.

#4 shell820810

shell820810

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thanks we will paint everywhere white/magnolia to start with and then once we are in it a while I will be in a better position to decide if I want any feature walls etc. Not going to rush in with colours etc initially.

#5 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

I just painted mine all white and have left it over a year now to let it dry out and crack. Got all filled and sanded at the start of December so will now start to add a bit of colour where needed.

#6 worldwidewebs

worldwidewebs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

View Postshell820810, on 03 January 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Just wondering, if we were to wallpaper some of our newly plastered walls, will it be a pain to go back to a smooth painted wall down the line?
Advice from my father (56 years as a painter & decorator)... Yes you could, but no you wouldn't.

When you come to remove wall-paper you will still leave behind some residual paste which has two effects. Firstly it will leave a less than perfect surface - this could be smoothed down with sanding but it can be more effort than it's worth. Secondly and far more importantly, the paint will not adhere well and could flake and/or powder. The solution to this problem is to apply lining paper and emulsion on top of this.

#7 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:48 AM

View Postworldwidewebs, on 03 January 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

Advice from my father (56 years as a painter & decorator)... Yes you could, but no you wouldn't.

When you come to remove wall-paper you will still leave behind some residual paste which has two effects. Firstly it will leave a less than perfect surface - this could be smoothed down with sanding but it can be more effort than it's worth. Secondly and far more importantly, the paint will not adhere well and could flake and/or powder. The solution to this problem is to apply lining paper and emulsion on top of this.
+1