ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Oh Dear (Flooding)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

:D

#42 admin

admin

Fall Guy

• Administrators
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

Brief overview of some of the issues here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-35199963

#43 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

Hello Joiner

"Pendant" is correct. Here is the explanation.

One of my favourite Polly Toynbee flaps was in an article ranting about bloggers being overly blunt with her when she got the details wrong, or made things up.

(Underlying problem: Guardian Arts Graduates columnists' grasp of numbers goes as far as "1 .. 2 .. 3 .. lots", and some struggle with the 3.)

In her response about people being abusive, Val Policella called someone (one of my favourite bloggers) a "pendant" for nisisting on detail, once again getting the detail of the English language wrong and supporting her critics' case. She also targetted "anonymous" people who happened to be using their real names (!) That leaves aside that Toynbee herself is preternaturally abusive almost every month.

See:
http://www.theguardi.../may/19/post104

Pendant. Stet.

:mellow:

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 02 January 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#44 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

I think that many forget that the media (including the BBC) is driven to attract sales (or viewers in the case of the BBC). Telling the truth is way down the priorities of anyone who works in the media and has been for years. An aviation forum I have frequented for some years always erupts whenever there is an aviation incident, most commonly because the media never, ever, get things right. Aircraft (invariably incorrectly referred to as that useful woodworking tool) always "plummet". A perfectly normal precautionary landing is invariable a "near disaster" or some such term.

I starred in one of these "plummeting" incidents once, when I made a forced landing in a field following an engine failure. No one was hurt, no damage was done to anyone's property or the aircraft and I flew it out of the field a few hours later following some repairs to the fuel system. I still have the newspaper cuttings somewhere. They refer to "the pilot who narrowly averted disaster", and an eye witness who (allegedly) heard a bang and thought her house was going to be hit and other comments in the same vein. In reality the engine had stopped (without any warning or unusual noise) when I was around 2000ft over open countryside. I had several minutes of flying engine off to pick a nice field, one that was facing in the right direction, didn't have any obstructions and which had a convenient track running up to it for a service crew to use. The whole thing would have been silent from the ground and probably only noticeable as being out of the ordinary once I'd set up the final approach and was a bit lower than people might have expected. I don't think I know of a fellow pilot that hasn't had something similar, the standard joke is that if you've not yet had an engine out it's only a matter of when, not if.

The hardest bit about news, or any other form of reporting, is needing to check whether what's being reported is factual. I automatically assume that everything in the mainstream media is fiction until I've had enough independent verification to show that it may not be. A recent classic example is in this thread. That photo with the advert for development land that's sitting in flood water has found its way all over the internet. The reality is that the flooded sign is no where near the (dry) land that it refers to.

#45 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

If you are going to talk about aircraft and the media, my pet hate is "disappeared from radar"

NO they didn't disappear from "radar". they might have disappeared from some automatic electronic tracking system if a transponder was switched off or failed but a proper radar would still see them.

Edited by joiner, 06 January 2016 - 10:00 AM.
"hate" for "hat"

#46 jayroc2k

jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

The recent flood photos got me thinking.

What is the most flood resistant construction and same for flooring?

here is my attempt at putting them in order of being able to withstand such flooding
Contruction:
1. ICF and concrete buildings
2. Brick/Block
3. Timber/Sips

Flooring
1. Tiles
2. concrete floor
3. Vinly/Rubber
4. Wood is s distant last

All assuming floods lasting 2-3 weeks

Thoughts?

#47 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

View PostProDave, on 27 December 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

Very topical

Posted Image

Shows the problems with the present planning process

development site here.

http://www.rightmove...y-50892341.html

streetview here including signs here.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

shame the same sign is on the northern side of that road that runs through the top left hand corner of the red line plan shown on rightmove. the sign is not actually on the development site.

goes to show you cant believe everything you see on the interweb.

#48 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

View Postjoiner, on 27 December 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

Dave, do you have a direct link for that pic of the flooded development land?

see my post #47

#49 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I see the photo Above, to which I provided the original link to has gone from the web site. Maybe the developers didn't want the publicity!

My neighbour has a second home in Wales, it's in an area prone to surface water flooding. Luckily this time they got away with it, the flood water wet the front door step, however their new neighbours three doors down were flooded again. Interestingly the seller failed to mention previous flooding and the purchasers solicitor did not reveal the problem during the various searches. The new owners are now taking advice on where they stand!

#50 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostTriassic, on 07 January 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

I see the photo Above, to which I provided the original link to has gone from the web site. Maybe the developers didn't want the publicity!

My neighbour has a second home in Wales, it's in an area prone to surface water flooding. Luckily this time they got away with it, the flood water wet the front door step, however their new neighbours three doors down were flooded again. Interestingly the seller failed to mention previous flooding and the purchasers solicitor did not reveal the problem during the various searches. The new owners are now taking advice on where they stand!
In several inches of cold dirty water?