ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Oh Dear (Flooding)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Think Frankie boyle has pretty much summed it up with this tweet.
1. Collect flood insurance 2. Go to bookies and bet government will let your house flood again next year 3. Collect winnings. 4. Move

#22 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

My personal view is that we need to do several things to combat the rising cost of more frequent flood events.

Firstly, houses that are already in high risk zones (real ones, not the mythical ones on the EA flood risk map) need to be protected more effectively. Waiting until the water reaches your house and then trying to deal with it seems the wrong way to tackle the problem.

One of the most effective flood damage protection systems I have seen recently was in Somerset, a couple of years ago. There, one chap had tackled the problem rationally and dug a large trench and bank around his house, with the bank covered in plastic sheeting, held down by the earth, with the sheeting continuing down into the trench on the inside. He had pumps set up to pump the level of water down in the trenches just enough to match that leaking in. The result was an "island" that protected his house for as long as he kept the pumps running.

Several years ago my inlaws were threatened with flooding in Chichester (before the flood protection scheme was put in place). We kept their house dry by some pretty simple measures. We fitted bits of ply, sealed with silicone, to the lower parts of the doors and over the under-floor air vents. A cheap Screwfix submersible pump was stuck on the basement floor and the water was pumped out to the stream over the road. Their house was undamaged by the flooding, whereas all the other houses along their road were severely damaged.

I'm a very firm believer in keeping water out of any property at risk. This can be fairly simple with a bit of lateral thinking. I doubt there's any house at risk of flood damage that couldn't be adequately protected without a massive amount of investment. It doesn't cure the root cause, which is developing land that should be allowed to flood to form natural flood plains to absorb flash floods without causing significant damage. A few miles south of us is a large expanse of water meadows. They are fairly dry most of the year, but flying over them this week they looked like one massive lake. Those water meadows are only protected from development because a certain artist painted a famous picture of Salisbury Cathedral from them. I suspect that, had Constable not painted than picture from Harnham, then the whole area would be a big housing estate with a ring road running around it................

#23 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

The problem with that, is in most flood events the power goes off early on. So that's either a petrol powered pump or a generator, and possibly days or weeks worth of fuel and someone to attend it.

#24 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Dave, do you have a direct link for that pic of the flooded development land?

#25 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

View Postjoiner, on 27 December 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

No, I "borrowed" it from another forum.

BUT it would appear from the links already posted, that the development land that is actually for sale does NOT front onto the A59, but the for sale sign IS right next to the A59.

So, in order to get better exposure to passing traffic, they put the sign next to a busy road, even though the actual site does not front onto that road. In doing so, it may have backfired on them as it now looks like they are selling a pond for development. It might well be the case that the actual development land for sale is not actually flooded.

Still they say all advertising is good advertising.

Edited by ProDave, 27 December 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#26 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:15 PM

:) Phew, glad I didn't grab it and save it for the email I was going to write tomorrow!!

#27 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

View Postjsharris, on 27 December 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

A few miles south of us is a large expanse of water meadows. They are fairly dry most of the year, but flying over them this week they looked like one massive lake......

Your Sea Plane Rating will come in handy then, won't it? No shortage of places to land on engine failure

#28 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 28 December 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Your Sea Plane Rating will come in handy then, won't it? No shortage of places to land on engine failure

Sadly there are very few places in the UK where you can legally operate a seaplane. I've a friend who has been trying for years to get permission to use some lakes he owns (flooded gravel works) as a seaplane operating area, but he's still struggling with bureaucracy. Last time I checked there were only a few dozen UK pilots with seaplane/float plane ratings and practically all of us got them overseas and only a small handful of us can ever fly off water here. I was always amazed that the Loch Lomond operation got permission, being within a National Park, but they are one of the very few organisations I know that operate off floats in the UK, most being in the Highlands, plus one place that was operating in Antrim, I believe.

#29 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

Getting as bad as Germany for permissions for this that and the other ....

#30 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 28 December 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Getting as bad as Germany for permissions for this that and the other ....

Mind you I got picked up by the police in Portugal whilst water taxying out across the harbour at Alvor after having had coffee whilst the aircraft was tied up at one of the pontoons there. There was a lot of gesticulating and shouting, the general gist being that seaplanes were not supposed to take off and land in the harbour. After managing to explain that I'd landed perfectly legally further up the river and just taxied down for a coffee they sort of grudgingly let me carry on and take off from the wide stretch of water behind all the yacht moorings. I'm just glad they hadn't seen me fly under the bridge across Portimao harbour earlier....................

Edited by jsharris, 28 December 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#31 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

View Postjsharris, on 28 December 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

I'm just glad they hadn't seen me fly under the bridge across Portimao harbour earlier....................

What hope is there for the rest of us if pilots like you pull stunts like that? I suppose to complete the stunt you flew under the railway bridge too, eh?

I would have.

#32 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

View Postrecoveringacademic, on 28 December 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

What hope is there for the rest of us if pilots like you pull stunts like that? I suppose to complete the stunt you flew under the railway bridge too, eh?

I would have.

It was all legal! One advantage of a seaplane/floatplane rating is that you're allowed to fly under obstacles if making an approach to land or if taking off, so it's pretty normal to fly under bridges...................

#33 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

An in-law was a stunt double for Bond in the latest movie and I think had to do some interesting flying in his helicopter... And I'm sure it would all have been legal! B^>

Rgds

Dmon

#34 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

Somehow the old joke about the difference between a magician's wand and a policeman's truncheon comes to mind.

Back on topic.
There ha been a lot of outraged people on the radio today talking about flooding, what got my goat up was the constant use of the word 'sustainable'.

Edited by SteamyTea, 28 December 2015 - 03:42 PM.

#35 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

View Postjoiner, on 27 December 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

View PostProDave, on 27 December 2015 - 10:48 PM, said:

No, I "borrowed" it from another forum.

BUT it would appear from the links already posted, that the development land that is actually for sale does NOT front onto the A59, but the for sale sign IS right next to the A59.

So, in order to get better exposure to passing traffic, they put the sign next to a busy road, even though the actual site does not front onto that road. In doing so, it may have backfired on them as it now looks like they are selling a pond for development. It might well be the case that the actual development land for sale is not actually flooded.

Still they say all advertising is good advertising.

The original url seems to be this:

http://i28.photobuck...zpsprjyq9ka.jpg

That is in the metadata attached to the photo posted on the thread :-). (Right-click > inspect element).

It appeared in the Mail, but seems to have gone from their web page - so I assume it was used without permission and somebody made a fuss, or similar.

The Mail page mentioned flooded development in Whalley, and there aren't that many PPs for 39 houses in Ribble Valley, so easy to find.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 29 December 2015 - 06:00 PM.

#36 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

"Right click" and you get the enlarged photograph. ;) I do, anyway.

#37 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

View Postjoiner, on 29 December 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

"Right click" and you get the enlarged photograph. ;) I do, anyway.

Pendant ! :-)

Right-click on the enlarged photograph.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 02 January 2016 - 06:07 PM.
"Pedant" for "Pendant" !!!!

#38 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

The development land photo Is from http://www.clitheroe...oding-1-7643772

#39 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

:D I hate you clever buggers. :rolleyes:

#40 Ashburyselfbuild

Ashburyselfbuild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

I've just looked at the plans for this site and don't see a problem........

..Attached File  Lake_Bigeaux_houseboat.JPG   43.92K   2 downloads