ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Glass Gable

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshine1

Sunshine1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hi

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

We are planning a extension with glass doors and windows in the bedroom gable end, leading on to a small balcony.

Does anyone have any experience or can recommend where we can purchase electric privacy glass or film that fully blacks out? Everything I have seen so far turns opaque but not black out.

I really want to avoid blinds as feel this will spoil the look.

Hope someone can help!

#2 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

Welcome.

To the best of my knowledge there is no totally opaque electrochromic/liquid crystal glass available. The stuff can only switch between the transparent mode and a translucent mode, that passes some wavelengths through.

The technology is similar to LCD screens, and the reason you cannot get a blackout version is exactly the same as the reason that an LCD TV can never render true black, only a dark grey. There has been a lot of research on trying to make LCDs opaque to all wavelengths when the crystals are flat but it hasn't yet been done, which is one reason why so much effort has been put into alternative screen technologies, like organic LEDs (OLEDs), as they deliver a true black when off.

You may want to look at some of the clever blind systems available that will deal with angles in gables, as I think these are going to be your only realistic choice.

BTW, electrochromic glass is mega expensive, too!

#3 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

or keep your kit on

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

I can't recommend anyone in particular but google "switchable glass" found..

http://intelligentgl...ternal-windows/

In addition to coating glass and making sealed units they say they also have a film that can be applied/stuck to existing glass

http://intelligentgl...ble-smart-film/

#5 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

Welcome,
When we were fantasizing about the same thing we looked at this probably not quite what you want, but may be worth a look.

And then woke with a start when we looked at the numbers. Debbie (SWMBO) really likes those ultra-thin blinds you can get.
Enjoy looking!

Happy festive season anyway!
Ian

#6 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:43 PM

If you had two panes that where switchable (in effect double glazing), would than not cut out nearly all the light.

#7 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:57 PM

Get a price and change your mind!

#8 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 24 December 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

If you had two panes that where switchable (in effect double glazing), would than not cut out nearly all the light.

Probably not. The best I've seen goes from near-transparent (when on) to a sort of milky white when off, so even a couple of panes aren't really going to make for a blackout blind.

Not sure what the cost is now, but when I was looking at the stuff it was £1000/m2

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

Yes, never going to be a cheap method of cutting out light. A bit of tin foil is probably one of the cheapest at a quid a roll.

#10 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

Tin foil on the window now that would be classy. Think the law would think you are expanding your herb garden to include a few other varietys of plant.

#11 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Next time I see a car with silver blinds and a 'baby on board' sticker I will know who is selling the best gear.

#12 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

Tin foil would prevent aliens controlling your brain

#13 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

The best I've seen goes from near-transparent (when on) to a sort of milky white when off, so even a couple of panes aren't really going to make for a blackout blind.

+1 to that. You can't see through them because they scatter the light but they don't block it much. Some can be used as projector screens (back projection).

#14 NSS

NSS

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Try this... http://www.smartglas...ack-smartglass/