ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Container Home Project - Status: Planning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Morbid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

as i mentioned earlier in the introduction page im planning a container home project. planning permission wouldnt be necessary in the country ill be building it in. the winters are cold there so insulation will be of crucial importance. we wish to find land near forest and river, also digging a well is a must so the land must be suitable. the whole idea with containers came from the fact that i wish for the home to be expanded as future needs arise. if we need workshop place, kids appear, vehicle garage or to rent space - i just drop in required number of containers into the existing infrastructure. also it would be nice to have a bit of space in between the structures so it feels sort of remote but still a part of the same home in a way. we are still rather young and do not need a big home as of yet. though in future would like to have a section to be used as a retreat space for groups to come and use. i would like to list the main objectives:

- first stage to be done within 6-7 months.
- underground passage corridor: for storage and getting around between future spaces.
- supreme insulation: will need a very good material to insulate the containers from outside and to be covered by decorational tiles of some sort. to be decided.
- balcony.
- wind generator. or two.
- solar panels.
- fire place: need advice on that as its better to maybe run it through the centre of the building.
- green house: on top of the flat roof container building we wish to have a properly made green house with stair access to grow few vegetables even in winter. advice needed here.
- ground heat recovery system: not sure what land we will get but its maybe better to dig up a trench for pipes to run through land while doing basement excavation. advice needed on time too.
- triple glazed high quality windows.
- trunking system (30x30cm): to run through the property carrying all the services including water, air, low voltage systems etc. must have removable lid throughout so i can add anything i wish at later stage without damaging anything.
- wood burner boiler: if gas is unavailable. advice needed.
- heating: under floor heating for the ground floor. not sure whats needed for upstairs.
- well: to pump drinking water.
- gutter collectors for garden water and toilet flush: need advice with that.
- front porch veranda

at this point im aware that i need to get the design through architect to figure out where i need to have support rsj beams. alot of welding would need to be required to prepare the containers. then crane work, then more welding. insulation works. wiring i will do myself. plumbing i might need help with. carpentry and plastering can do together with chippy. my missus is an artist so she wants to do decoration herself.

at this point im all ears and im willing to hear all possible advice and tips. i do alot of research but at the moment i just want to have a proper 3d drawing ready and knowledge of choosing the right land. when project moves on i want to keep this thread rolling with any additional information shared among this humble community.

attached is a sketch up drawing, there are bunch of layers there which you can turn on/off for better visibility. the textures are only for illustrational purposes.

3d file (sketchup):

sketchup viewer installer:

Attached Files

Edited by Morbid, 20 December 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#2 declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

This might be of some interest to you. At the bottom it says that his company are now branching out to provide a full house from containers. Might be worth further examination.

#3 Morbid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

here is a bit of insight into the specifics of container building: