ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

George Clarke's House Rules

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SMistry

SMistry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Channel 4's George Clarke is looking for home owners planning to renovate period properties at the start of 2016. See Attached image for more details.

Attached Files

#2 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

Blimey, are we gonna have yet more programmes with continual "unbelievable"s and "amazing"s.

SMistry - if you're in the production team can I say I find his overblown language more than a little irritating.

#3 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

Will they pay for the work I want done on mine. I shall keep it below £30,000.
That has to be less than employing George Clarke (who ever he is).

#4 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

Nick, perhaps you should look at catch up TV ( I know you don't own a TV set) just so you can keep up with these threads ! :)

#5 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

To be fair, I don't find him annoying, it is interesting the research he does on each building and everything I have seen him design so far has had merit. I think he would be a useful guy to have advising on a renovation.

#6 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

View PostDavidFrancis, on 04 December 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

Blimey, are we gonna have yet more programmes with continual "unbelievable"s and "amazing"s
We all know he has his fingers crossed most of the time when uttering these words, because telling the truth would probably hurt their feelings.

#7 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

The guy he uses to do all his own work is worth his weight in gold. He is a very skilled carpenter/metal worker.

#8 iSelfBuild

iSelfBuild

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationScotland & Lancashire

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:57 PM

View PostSMistry, on 04 December 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

Channel 4's George Clarke is looking for home owners planning to renovate period properties at the start of 2016. See Attached image for more details.

I have just applied, why the hell not :P

#9 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

View Postwmacleod, on 04 December 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

it is interesting the research he does on each building

I think he would be a useful guy to have advising on a renovation.

In fairness to the unsung heroes of the programmes, it's actually the researchers on the production teams who do all this. George then puts in an appearance with an "I've done x and I've found y and I've come to z.."

He's also far too busy to advise on the build as a continuous thing. The bit where you see him recommending some plan changes is usually it, and probably represents a few minutes of his time looking at the plans on the train up. That's not to say that his advice isn't sage, valuable or helpful, it's just that you seem to think he has a far higher input to the tens of projects he is involved with than he actually does.

#10 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

Well, after all these comments and opinions, if anyone does decide to take up the offer they will be going into it with no illusions. ;)

I think as long as someone enters into it in the right spirit, it could be a lot of fun.

Personally, despite the remarks above, and even from what little I've seen of George Clarke, I instinctively like the bloke.

#11 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

From what we see thru the lens of a camera I wouldn't disagree with you joiner. It's only the hyperbole that gets my goat.

#12 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Like I said, I like the guy.

George will be a special guest speaker at the 5th Annual Scottish Empty Homes Conference on the 17th November 2015 at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel in Edinburgh.
The conference is THE empty homes event of the year in Scotland for empty homes practitioners, senior council officers, elected members and anyone with an interest in private sector empty homes work from Housing Associations to landlords and community groups.

George will give a Keynote Address in his role as Government Empty Homes Adviser.

Making more homes available by tackling the number of empty dwellings up and down the UK has been a major passion for George for several years now.

Speaking about the issue George said: “There is absolutely no point in creating new-build properties on green sites when we’ve got empty houses in city centres where people want to live. It just doesn’t make any sense. We’ve got 350,000 long-term empty homes – swathes of terraced property all over Britain. The government tell you ‘Oh people don’t want to live in them anymore’. Well you’ll realise when you’re watching the series that there’s a hell of a lot of people that would more than happily live in them. They need a bit of upgrading – a new boiler, new electrics, a bit of insulation and some double-glazing – but they’re perfectly good homes. What I’ve definitely proven in the series is that it’s cheaper to refurb what you’ve got than build new – recycle the old rather than build new.”

#13 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

View Postjoiner, on 24 January 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

Personally, despite the remarks above, and even from what little I've seen of George Clarke, I instinctively like the bloke.
My post was in no way meant to cast George in a bad light, and I too think he's a great guy, very sharp and a good sense of humour. He's also been through a lot, building his own version of the dream in terms of business and house wrecked his marriage and he sometimes finds the celebrity aspect of running many different tv shows quite wearisome. Its tinsel town that puts the extra spin on it and alas, you'll never hear George say "my awesome research team have dug up this bit of history on this medieval tower..", it's always implied that he did it. I know why it's presented this way, same for any programme.. It's just easy to forget that behind the presenter is an army of people who make it all work and don't really ever get any acknowledgement for it. Other than their name in the credits and a cheque that pays their mortgage I suppose! :)

Edited by cjard, 24 January 2016 - 10:44 PM.

#14 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

Amen to the empty homes bit, I saw the first programme where he was highlighting this crazy dichotomy of a massive (hundreds of thousands) of people on waiting lists for houses who are technically homeless, versus a massive (around half the size of the other list) list of houses that stand empty. Councils pay huge sums of money to security firms to keep these places securely empty because they cannot afford to demolish and rebuild them with this bullshit ideal of what they say people want. Apparently terrace streets aren't cool any more and are the antithesis of a housing model that breeds a well adjusted, happy, thriving populace with no criminal leanings. Once demolished and replaced with housing at a third of the density, every one tacked together by a volume developer and surrounded with a white picket fence, it will be suburban paradise apparently. It will also cost a fortune and in decreasing the density go nearly nowhere to solve the problem G outlined, that there are something like 2 million people in need of a house yet 1 million empty boarded up houses

Council people generally haven't got the corporate mindset to tackle something like that I fear - it's a problem that cannot really be afforded just by getting a budget granted and having it spent. It really needs the government to set up as a bank and offer guidance and loans to people willing to take these empties on and do them up to live in. The repayments on the government backed loans will be ploughed back in to bring more back into use his bring about a circulatory and profit related element, compared to most grant work where contractors don't deliver great value for money

http://www.channel4....operty-scandal/

Edited by joiner, 25 January 2016 - 05:53 AM.

#15 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:10 AM

Are these empty properties privately owned, LA owned, or a mixture?

#16 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

A lot of empty homes are local authority owned, I believe. Local authorities got lumbered with thousands of houses, usually in areas where people had moved away to find work, that have ended up being boarded up because the LAs don't have the resources to bring them up to a habitable standard.

In many areas these houses are simply not where people want to live. The caving club I belonged to bought a terrace of empty houses, 10 houses in all, for £150. The local authority demolished the next terrace down a few years later. There was a scheme in Staffordshire where the local authority were selling houses for £1 each, to people who could show that they could bring them up to a habitable standard and who committed to live in them.

Every weekend I used to drive through the valleys, not far from where Nick from Wales lives, through once busy mining villages that were gradually turning into ghost towns, as one mine after another closed. There must have been thousands of empty homes in that area alone. There, as elsewhere, the problem was that once local employment ceased people had no choice but to move away.

The same is probably true around any of the major former industrial regions of the UK, although in some areas alternative employment has taken over, almost always as a consequence of hefty subsidies from government. I spent a few weeks at the Nissan factory many years ago, and many of the workers there had previously been miners or shipbuilders, two major industries that closed down, leaving thousands unemployed.

#17 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostCrofter, on 25 January 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

Are these empty properties privately owned, LA owned, or a mixture?
http://scotland.shel...icy/empty_homes
It's all homes....

#18 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostSMistry, on 04 December 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

You want us to help you. And you can't be bothered to type a simple post.

Well done! You really are good at Community Engagement aren't you?

#19 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

And how many are just sitting empty because the owner is trying to sell them but can't find a buyer?

#20 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

That's happening here, Dave. With 87 new houses in two developments in the village, selling existing houses is now a nightmare for people who HAVE to move on because of work commitments, or the death of a partner prompting a move closer to children who have moved out of the village. Six months now and you're lucky. Where people have no choice except to move anyway, many have been let on short-term lets because the owners simply dare not let them long-term because they are desperate for the equity release.

I suspect the scenario is familiar to you?

I've twice been asked to help people who have been approached by the Empty Homes Department asking them what their intentions are regarding their "empty house", 12 months in one case, almost eighteen months in the other, neither of them can begin to compete with what's on offer from the new housing estates. Both still unsold and unless they're prepared to accept DSS as rentals, no hope of ANY return or even cover for maintenance, so it looks as if the village is going to have its problems increased by two more problem families on DSS moved here by an out-of-local-council area housing association.

Social engineering within the planning function? You're having a laugh.