ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Timber Frame

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BALDY770

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hi All,
Just joined this very informative site. We are looking to build a non-certificated passive house next year 2016.We have been very interested in a company called Buildakit using there Space Panel system and wondered if anybody has come across them?
I realise that i need to invest in the fabric of the building first but having read quite a few posts on this site has made me think whether the system we are considering using is suitable? I am leaning towards a passive slab such as isoquick/viking so i am assuming that all the issues with damp/condensation would be overcome? Any views would be gratefully received. Only just realising that making decisions on heating/windows and eco additions are not going to be easy!!

#2 tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

Insulated slab is a good idea, nice concept

Please consider heavyweight construction as ir is more comfortable, quieter, lasts longer and is cheaper

#3 1anR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

I looked at Buildakit, briefly. It would need further investigation. I think they use ITW space-studs, which at first sight looks like a typical twin-stud cold bridge free solution. But if they follow the ITW guidelines for their use the first floor and roof connections aren't bridge free, I believe they rest on both inner and outer studs, which would then need a more complicated insulated slab periphery to eliminate the cold bridge at that point.

You need to get some detail out of Buildakit to see the wall to floor and wall to roof joints. There may be better solutions available...

Oh...and welcome!

Edited by 1anR, 02 December 2015 - 03:10 PM.